Ouch

Noj

I was just looking at what I won't be getting. :(

Mosaic Collections No Longer Available

#101 The Complete Blue Note Recordings of Thelonious Monk (4 LPs)

#102 The Complete Pacific Jazz and Capitol Recordings of the Original Gerry Mulligan Quartet and Tentette with Chet Baker (3 CDs or 5 LPs)

#103 The Complete Blue Note Recordings of Albert Ammons and Meade Lux Lewis (2 CDs or 3 LPs)

#104 The Complete Blue Note and Pacific Jazz Recordings of Clifford Brown (5 LPs)

#105 The Complete Pacific Jazz Small Group Recordings of Art Pepper (3 LPs)

#106 The Complete Blue Note Recordings of the Tina Brooks Quintet (4 LPs)

#107 The Complete Blue Note Forties Recordings of Ike Quebec and John Hardee (3 CDs or 4 LPs)

#108 The Complete Recordings of The Port of Harlem Jazzmen (1 LP)

#109 The Complete Edmond Hall/James P. Johnson/Sidney De Paris/Vic Dickenson Blue Note Sessions (4 CDs or 6 LPs)

#110 The Complete Blue Note Recordings of Sidney Bechet (4 CDs or 6 LPs)

#111 The Complete Candid Recordings of Charles Mingus (3 CDs or 4 LPs)

#112 The Complete Black Lion Vogue Recordings of Thelonious Monk (3 CDs or 4 LPs)

#113 The Complete Pacific Jazz Live Recordings of the Chet Baker Quartet with Russ Freeman (3 CDs or 4 LPs)

#114 The Complete Art Hodes Blue Note Sessions (4 CDs or 5 LPs)

#115 The Benny Morton/Jimmy Hamilton Blue Note Swingtets (1 LP)

#116 The Complete Bud Powell Blue Note Recordings (1949-1958) (5 LPs)

#117 The Complete Verve Recordings of the Buddy De Franco Quartet/Quintet with Sonny Clark (4 CDs or 5 LPs)

#118 The Complete Blue Note Recordings of Herbie Nichols (3 CDs or 5 LPs)

#119 The Pete Johnson/Earl Hines/Teddy Bunn Blue Note Sessions (1 LP)

#120 The Complete Recordings of the Paul Desmond Quartet with Jim Hall (4 CDs or 6 LPs)

#121 The Complete Blue Note 45 Sessions of Ike Quebec (2 CDs or 3 LPs)

#122 The Complete Pacific Jazz Studio Recordings of the Chet Baker Quartet with Russ Freeman (3 CDs or 4 LPs)

#123 The Complete Commodore Jazz Recordings, Volume I (23 LPs)

#124 The Complete Blue Note Recordings of Freddie Redd (2 CDs or 3 LPs)

#125 The Complete Atlantic and EMI Jazz Recordings of Shorty Rogers (4 CDs or 6 LPs)

#126 The Complete Johnny Hodges Recordings 1951-1955 (6 LPs)

#127 The Complete Candid Recordings of Cecil Taylor and Buell Neidlinger (4 CDs or 6 LPs)

#128 The Complete Commodore Jazz Recordings, Volume II (23 LPs)

#130 The Complete Recordings of T-Bone Walker 1940-1954 (6 CDs or 9 LPs)

#131 The Complete Recordings of the Stan Getz Quintet with Jimmy Raney (3 CDs or 4 LPs)

#132 The Complete Blue Note Recordings of George Lewis (3 CDs or 5 LPs)

#133 The Complete Blue Note Recordings of Grant Green with Sonny Clark (4 CDs or 5 LPs)

#134 The Complete Commodore Jazz Recordings, Volume III (20 LPs)

#135 The Complete Roulette Live Recordings of Count Basie and His Orchestra (1959-1962) (8 CDs or 12 LPs)

#136 Stan Kenton: The Complete Capitol Recordings of the Holman & Russo Charts (4 CDs or 6 LPs)

#137 The Complete Blue Note Recordings of Larry Young (6 CDs or 9 LPs)

#138 The Complete Capitol Recordings of the Nat King Cole Trio (18 CDs or 27 LPs)

#139 The Complete Candid Otis Span/Lightnin' Hopkins Sessions (3 CDs or 5 LPs)

#140 The Complete Master Jazz Piano Series (4 CDs or 6 LPs)

#141 The Complete Blue Note Recordings of Art Blakey's 1960 Jazz Messengers (6 CDs or 10 LPs)

#142 The Complete CBS Studio Recordings of Woody Shaw (3 CDs or 4 LPs)

#143 The Complete 1959 CBS Charles Mingus Sessions (4 Q-LPs)

#144 The Complete CBS Buck Clayton Jam Sessions (6 CDs or 8 Q-LPs)

#145 The Complete Blue Note Recordings of Don Cherry (2 CDs or 3 Q-LPs)

#146 The Complete Decca Studio Recordings of Louis Armstrong and the All Stars (6 CDs or 8 Q-LPs)

#147 The Complete Serge Chaloff Sessions (4 CDs or 5 Q-LPs)

#148 The Complete Capitol Small Group Recordings of Benny Goodman 1944-1955 (4 CDs or 6 Q-LPs)

#149 The Complete Roulette Studio Recordings of Count Basie and His Orchestra (10 CDs or 15 Q-LPs)

#150 The Complete Blue Note 1964-66 Jackie McLean Sessions (4 CDs or 6 Q-LPs)

#151 The Complete Solid State Recordings of the Thad Jones/Mel Lewis Orchestra (5 CDs or 7 Q-LPs)

#152 The Complete CBS Recording of Eddie Condon and His All Stars (CD)

#153 The Complete Aladdin Recordings of Charles Brown (5 CDs or 7 Q-LPs)

#154 The Complete February 1957 Jimmy Smith Blue Note Sessions (3CDs or 5 Q-LP)

#157 The Complete Capitol Recordings Of George Shearing (5 CDs or 7 Q-LPs)

#158 MIles Davis: The Complete Plugged Nickel Sessions (10 Q-LPs)

#159 The Phil Woods Quartet/Quintet 20th Anniversary Set (5 CDs or 7 Q-LPs)

#160 The Complete Capitol Recordings Of Duke Ellington (5 CDs or 7 Q-LPs)

#161 - The Complete Blue Note Andrew Hill Sessions (1963-66) (7 CDs or 10 LPs)

#162 The Complete Blue Note Lee Morgan Fifties Sessions (4 CDs or 6 LPs)

#164 Miles Davis/Gil Evans: The Complete Columbia Studio Recordings (11 LPs)

#166 The Complete Blue Note/UA Curtis Fuller Sessions (3 CDs or 5 LPs)

#167 The Complete Blue Note Sam Rivers Sessions (3 CDs or 5 LPs)

#168 The Complete Capitol Fifties Jack Teagarden Sessions (4 CDs or 6 LPs)

#171 Bill Evans: The Final Village Vanguard Sessions-June 1980 (10 LPs)

#172 The Complete Blue Note/UA/Roulette Recordings of Thad Jones (3 CDs or 5 Q-LPs)

#176 The Complete Capitol & Atlantic Recordings of Jimmy Giuffre (6 CDs or 10 Q-LPs)

#180 The Pacific Jazz Bud Shank Studio Sessions (1956-61) (5 CDs or 7 LPs)

Also remember that several of the out of print Mosaic sets have been made available in their entirety in other forms (the Blue Note Brownie, Monk, and Bud 4-CD sets - now made at least partially obsolete by the RVG reissues), the Herbie Nichols Blue Note set - still in print?, the Desmond/Hall RCA which is just a little different, as is the Pacific Jazz Mulligan/Baker set and the Roost Getz set. Most if not all of the Freddie Redd has been put on individual CDs, Blakey, Chet live, the Green/Clark too, etc. etc. Not to mention those sets which were Mosaic Lp-only but on CD from Columbia (Miles, Mingus).

Trying to look on the bright side of things -

Mike

I'm still kicking myself for hesitating to pull the trigger on the Jones/Lewis big-band set. What was I thinking? Capitol re-issued CONSUMMATION--hopefully the rest will come out eventually, and the sound will probably be better too.

Don't kick yourself too hard - I paid $360 for that set. :rolleyes: It's great music, don't get me wrong...but does it feel like it's worth $360 to me? I guess not. Did I mention I'd never heard any of it before I bought it? Ah, the insanity!

#104 The Complete Blue Note and Pacific Jazz Recordings of Clifford Brown (5 LPs)

#116 The Complete Bud Powell Blue Note Recordings (1949-1958) (5 LPs)

#118 The Complete Blue Note Recordings of Herbie Nichols (3 CDs or 5 LPs)

#133 The Complete Blue Note Recordings of Grant Green with Sonny Clark (4 CDs or 5 LPs)

#141 The Complete Blue Note Recordings of Art Blakey's 1960 Jazz Messengers (6 CDs or 10 LPs)

#143 The Complete 1959 CBS Charles Mingus Sessions (4 Q-LPs)

#158 MIles Davis: The Complete Plugged Nickel Sessions (10 Q-LPs)

#164 Miles Davis/Gil Evans: The Complete Columbia Studio Recordings (11 LPs)

As has been mentioned, these are all available on CD in one form or another - either single disks or in sets on their original label.

There's also lots of great stuff that is STILL in print, too.

Well, if I was going to pay $360 for a set, the Jones/Lewis would be in the running. GREAT music, IMHO ...

I think the only set I've purchased from a source other than Mosaic was the Larry Young -- ~ $130 on eBay. Back in '99, if I remember correctly.

Edited by mikeb

Not sure what your point is by listing those. Most of us know they're out of print. And Mosaic has listed these as well. However, they show up on Ebay quite a bit. Some of us have spent a lot of money on Ebay to acquire a lot of those sets, myself included.

I think that maybe like a lot of us, you caught the Mosaic bug and that list of OOP sets is overwhelming. Like Brad said they show up on eBay frequently. Right now, two particular sellers have quite a list of these on eBay and the prices are a lot more reasonable than when I was buying these up.