• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Um, Dave... In your signature line is this an accurate quotation?: "It reminds of us of all that once was good and it could be again." That first *of* seems wrong.

And maybe credit should be given to the author of the source novel 'Shoeless Joe' W.P. Kinsells, rather than a fictional character. Or perhaps the screenplay writer -- I don't know which writer wrote the actual quotation.

(Edited to clarify).

Edited by Ted O'Reilly

Um, Dave... In your signature line is this an accurate quotation?: "It reminds of us of all that once was good and it could be again." That first *of* seems wrong.

And maybe credit should be given to the author of the source novel 'Shoeless Joe' W.P. Kinsells, rather than a fictional character. Or perhaps the screenplay writer -- I don't know which writer wrote the actual quotation.

(Edited to clarify).

I just cut and pasted the this. Didn't notice the extra "of". With respect to the quote, as nearly as I can determine, neither it nor its more famous cousin, "If you build it, he will come." is from the book. Terrence Mann is the movie equivalent of J.D. Salinger, who was in Kinsella's original novel. As to the attribution, I appreciate the thought, but I'm more interested in the message itself than I am in who wrote it.

(Edited to clarify).

I just cut and pasted the this. Didn't notice the extra "of". With respect to the quote, as nearly as I can determine, neither it nor its more famous cousin, "If you build it, he will come." is from the book. Terrence Mann is the movie equivalent of J.D. Salinger, who was in Kinsella's original novel. As to the attribution, I appreciate the thought, but I'm more interested in the message itself than I am in who wrote it.

Thanks for the correction -- it makes sense now, and it's a fine quotation. (Go Blue Jays!)

I still disagree with your attribution, though. I think the writer should be credited, whether that's W.P. Kinsella in the novel "Shoeless Joe", though as you say it may not be in the book; or the screenwriter/director of "Field of Dreams", Phil Alden Robinson.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...