Joshua Redman

montg

The trio album--with guests Lovano, Chris Cheek, and Dewey...This one made a lot of top ten lists, I haven't seen much discussion here though. Any interest or opinions? I haven't really listened to much Redman on CD (Other than the SF Jazz Collective CDs). I've been considering picking this one up for awhile.

redman.jpg

I've bought it a few days before their concert appearance here - I find it's a sincere effort to expand on the tradition of sax-bass-drums trios, rather sophisticated, highly accomplished. I have to admit I haven't listened to it since. Well, what can you do in jazz these days ...

Yes I liked it, definitely better than some other stuff that is looser but less consciously conceived.

I kind of see what Jim means, I think.

But here's the deal. I got it for $7 from yourmusic. It features what may be the last two tunes Dewey Redman ever recorded. One is a trio feature for Dewey only that I think is improvised and very moving, especially in light of Dewey's passing just a few months later. Definitely worth $7 just for that.

Bertrand.

Joe Lovano = vapid (thank you Elissa, even if you didn't say that); never has one one white man in bad jazz hats struggled so valiantly &, finally (yes, i know he ain't done yet) done so little of even passing merit. toot toot! may the "super session" (sic) with David Murray occur & we can put 'em both to fucking sleep.

Joshua Redman = a less interesting Joe Lovano

better than, say, the lot of Pete Rose Jr?

in that sense, Wynton had it easy there too because Ellis was/is/always wil be a goddamn snooze.

Dewey? GIGANTIC. save your $$$ on lots of other crap & donate it to the Black Star Liner Notes of The Mind or, i dunno, prostate cancer research, which i recall was a cause of his.

Thanks for your usual unbiased, objective opinion. :ph34r::blink::crazy::beee:

BTW, I love Dewey too.

Well, there was that moment circa From the Soul.... Lovano seemed pretty interesting then. But his willingness to crumble in the face of Blue Note's increasingly loopy back-to-the-past concepts (Caruso?) has kind of made me place question marks next to his entire canon.

The collab with Gunther Schuller, too, was worthwhile. Minus (as always) the spots for Judi Silvano (agh!).

Joe Lovano = vapid (thank you Elissa, even if you didn't say that); never has one one white man in bad jazz hats struggled so valiantly &, finally (yes, i know he ain't done yet) done so little of even passing merit. toot toot! may the "super session" (sic) with David Murray occur & we can put 'em both to fucking sleep.

Joshua Redman = a less interesting Joe Lovano

better than, say, the lot of Pete Rose Jr?

in that sense, Wynton had it easy there too because Ellis was/is/always wil be a goddamn snooze.

Dewey? GIGANTIC. save your $$$ on lots of other crap & donate it to the Black Star Liner Notes of The Mind or, i dunno, prostate cancer research, which i recall was a cause of his.

When Clem is on the money he's ON THE MONEY!

I pretty much lost interest in Joshua Redman... got some of his discs when I was a newbie and he kept getting good reviews... the two live titles on "Wish" are still those I like most, I think.

As for Lovano, I have to agree in general, but also that disc with Schuller I find pretty good!

The Caruso I got on sale, and believe it or not, I actually like some of the ideas - though Lovano's sound is as uninvolving as usual.