Roach/Harper/Bridgewater/Workman

sonnyhill

1 hour ago, Late said:

:tup I watched that video last night. Max and Billy in matching black turtlenecks!

:tup I'm jealous! ^_^

==============

Max, to my ears, is one of the most horn-like drummers in jazz. While he can definitely support a band as the "drummer," I think his natural tendency is to play up-front with the horns, almost as if the bass is the sole "rhythm" section, and Max is one of the horns (in this case with Bridgewater and Harper). It reminds me of a comment Joe Henderson made about Roach (— something to the effect of): "I really like Max's playing, but I don't know if I could play with him." I'm not exactly sure what Henderson meant there, but I feel like I understand it. 

Nice description. I'll have to pay close attention the next time I'm playing some Roach. He recently blew me away on that Slide Hampton Drum Suite album...

2 hours ago, felser said:

Me too, triple bill at Keystone Korner with Dexter Gordon Quintet (back from Europe) and Bobby Hutcherson Quintet.  My best jazz night ever!   Original booking was Roach and Hutcherson, which would have been great as it was, then Gordon was added late as an extra (used Eddie Henderson and Hutcherson's rhythm section as his group).   Will never forget it.    Reggie Workman was on fire.   ca. Dec. 76 - Jan 77 I believe.

Wow!

1 hour ago, Late said:

:tup I watched that video last night. Max and Billy in matching black turtlenecks!

:tup I'm jealous! ^_^

==============

Max, to my ears, is one of the most horn-like drummers in jazz. While he can definitely support a band as the "drummer," I think his natural tendency is to play up-front with the horns, almost as if the bass is the sole "rhythm" section, and Max is one of the horns (in this case with Bridgewater and Harper). It reminds me of a comment Joe Henderson made about Roach (— something to the effect of): "I really like Max's playing, but I don't know if I could play with him." I'm not exactly sure what Henderson meant there, but I feel like I understand it. 

I like that description too especially as last week I saw a drummer, Sarathy Korwar, play just like that with a alto and Bari/flute front line, keyboards not bass in this instance holding the rhythm. And sometimes, the saxes too with the drums as lead. Like Max.

15 hours ago, felser said:

Me too, triple bill at Keystone Korner with Dexter Gordon Quintet (back from Europe) and Bobby Hutcherson Quintet.  My best jazz night ever!   Original booking was Roach and Hutcherson, which would have been great as it was, then Gordon was added late as an extra (used Eddie Henderson and Hutcherson's rhythm section as his group).   Will never forget it.    Reggie Workman was on fire.   ca. Dec. 76 - Jan 77 I believe.

Somehow I missed THAT bill, but I saw the Roach, Harper, Bridgewater, Hill quartet at the KK in Nov 77. 

On ‎01‎/‎06‎/‎2021 at 4:34 PM, Fabio Baglioni said:

.., Here are few more Live ''Radio 's Bootlegs Tapes Recordings''. These  Live .,CD's,, concerts are ,NOT, in my home-Collections..,but at least, I can try to get them in cd.'s-copyes,.!!,,.- Have a nice day,. Ciao ,fabio .,Roma  - fabiodrummy@gmail.com 
Max Roach., 4t on 3* September,1978 - Live at,,: Willisau Jazz Festival,,.-
Max Roach - drs -Cecil Bridgewater.,tr -Billy Harper.,ts
Calvin Hill.,cb,.- ))1. It's Time, -2. announcement, -3. Round Midnight ,,-
4. announcement, -5. South African SixThree, -6. announcement.,,-
7. Call Of The Wild And Peaceful Heart (fade out),,.-
8. announcement - +  9. announcement, -10. Six Bits Blues,,.-
11. unknown  title /  interview   CD-copy Time..:  69'',.-
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
^* I - This is not the concert of the two Denon recorded Live in 1977 - (or  ''Baystate''  recorded in Amsterdam ,.),,.-
Max Roach  ,4t  " Japan 1979 " ,,Cecil Bridgewater, tr ; -Billy Harper, ts ;
 -Reggie Workman.,cb ;  -Max Roach,.dr,,-.
1 Call of the wild and peaceful Hearth ,,-2 Six Bit Blues
3 Mr. Hi Hat  ,,-4 Now ' s the time,,.-
5-8 Interview - Presentation partially in Japanese
,,,  x  x  x  ,,,,,

I  have  found  this  Live  Video  concert  of..:* Roach + Harper *.,4t,,.:
 -DVD-1085- Max Roach, dr 4t,- Cecil Bridgewater (tp), Billy Harper (ts),..
  Reggie Workman (b), Max Roach (dr).,  "Molde Kino",  Norway , 1977
 1 announcements   ,,-2  It 's  Time  ,,- 3 South Africa (dr solo)
 4 interview with Max Roach ,, t.,43'' .,-

-  x x x --

On 1.6.2021 at 4:43 PM, felser said:

Sounds amazing ....

2 hours ago, soulpope said:

Sounds amazing ....

…, Surely  this is the Live taped-concert,.!?!,. Ciao , fabio  - Roma ..-

-367-cd-Dexter Gordon,.sax at *Keystone Corner* , 1976..
  w. special Guest MAX  ROACH,.dr ,Bobby Hutcherson,vbr..
  Eddie Henderson,.tr ,,George Cables.,p ..
   Reggie Workman.,cb,, "Rhythm A' Ning" ,t.,26 '..-

-  x  x  -

I think shortly after I heard them, Workman was replaced by Calvin Hill. Somehow I had liked Workman´s bass sound more then Calvin´s . 

And even a year later, Billy Harper was replaced by Odean Pope. Many like Odean Pope, sure he is great, but I liked Billy Harper more. Pope has a strange tenor sound, it sounded more like some strange instrument, maybe a bassoon or something like that. 

I wouldn't be surprised if, about seven years from now, we see a public domain issue of this quartet's work. Who knows, it might be the only way that the music gets collected and compiled. For now, I'm happy to listen to the music on YouTube and the one vinyl rip I have.

23 minutes ago, Late said:

I wouldn't be surprised if, about seven years from now, we see a public domain issue of this quartet's work. Who knows, it might be the only way that the music gets collected and compiled. For now, I'm happy to listen to the music on YouTube and the one vinyl rip I have.

Definitely could happen that way.

Whoever does it, I just hope they do it right.  The music deserves excellent AQ, presentation, packaging, notes, and all of that.  First class all the way.

Of course, if it's PD, none of that will likely happen. :( 

I've got either LPs or cassette dubs (transferred to CD-R) of all of it, so that's my PD set.

What to hope for (and hope is even less a strategy now than it ever has been)...is that when Max made these dals on the run that he negotiated either ownership of the masters, or a copy of them. And then the estate would have it, maybe, and then...is anybody talking to Maxene about all of her dad's holdings? Does she want to talk?

Best place for all this to end up would be the Smithsonian.

51 minutes ago, felser said:

Sure would make a great Mosaic.

It would, but this is one time I'm going to go along with the whole "too difficult" line.  Some of that stuff (all?) was made (band)on the run, for some labels that may or may not have any tangible ownership today, or wouldn't until called out of the woodwork...and the Japanese stuff...has Mosaic ever shown either the desire or the ability to go there?

What this would make a great one of would be a "tree", like they used to do. Everybody get their best transfers, let a tree-builder make the best copies of each record, and then put the tree out to people who care enough to ask for it. Ground rules being the same as always - NEVER make money off of it (and never share with anybody you even halfway think might) and if a LEGIT release of ANY of it ever comes to market, you are morally bound to buy it.

Although...is Maxene Roach talking to anybody about anything archival?