Pete Condoli has died

flat5

RIP, Pete - who graced many of the fine West Coast big band sessions of the 50's and 60's. He was a mainstay of the 1st Herman Herd (I think he was the guy who wore the Superman uniform) and later, the Shorty Rogers big band. Back in the day, there was a saying on the WC that when the music was really tough, Pete was the first guy you called.

Edited by John Tapscott

RIP, Pete - who graced many of the fine West Coast big band sessions of the 50's and 60's. He was a mainstay of the 1st Herman Herd (I think he was the guy who wore the Superman uniform) and later, the Shorty Rogers big band. Back in the day, there was a saying on the WC that when the music was really tough, Pete was the first guy you called.

Pete CANDOLI was one of the greats in the jazz big band era .. and he lived a pretty fantastic personal life too ... He will be missed.

This Pete/Conte album is a gem:

http://www.amazon.com/Two-Brothers-Pete-Co...1791&sr=1-3

It was recorded "live" in the 1980s at Rick's Cafe Americain in Chicago, with John Young, Dan Shapera, and Wilbur Campbell (in great form). I was there, though not on the night things were recorded. At the time, I only knew Pete from his Herman solo spots and the like and as a sterling section man. He can heard at length here as a soloist and was one hell of player -- more from Dizzy than Conte was (or became) and with a hot core of Eldridge as well.

so was P. Candoli more of an ensemble player, than his brother conte who also played for course in small group wcj?

Pete was used more in that role, or fell into it more, than Conte did, though Conte also did a good deal of big-band and studio work. In particular, Conte was a member of the Tonight Show band under Doc Severinsen from 1972-92.

Not to hijack this thread from Pete Condoli, but http://www.jaycorre.com (but of course) seems to indicate he's living in Hollywood, Fla. (suburban Lauderdale-Miami). Corre was pretty much the first tenor saxophone soloist I got to know since my first jazz record at age 10 was Buddy Rich's "Big Swing Face" and Corre is the featured tenor man. I've got all of those old World Pacific sides by Buddy's band but haven't listened to them in a long, long time. I recall Corre's sound as deep and warm and his melodic concept sort of out of Stan Getz but very muscular.

Edited by Mark Stryker

I should check out those records again -- always a fascinating experience to go back to music that you loved very early, before you really knew anything, and see what your current ears tell you.

I did that a while back. Lots to cringe at, but still, some real spirit that remains admirable. And Buddy, for all his Buddy-ness, drove that band like no other. Major props from me for that.

I guess you could say "love" without "like", or vice-versa, depending on how you look at it.

Thanks, Larry. I gotta wonder what it was like succeeding Ernie Kovacs as a life-partner. Talk about following in some footsteps...

Yes, but I also think it might have been along the lines of Betty Grable and Harry James.

Only prettier (in the good sense), I would hope...