Frank Kimbrough on the radio today and 1/22

ghost of miles

Having trouble tuning in, and here's why, evidently:

The live audio streams for WAMC and WAMC HD2 will be down for scheduled maintenance on Thursday, January 17. The streams should be down for a period of two hours or less, beginning at approximately 10:30am. We appreciate your patience.

I'll bump for WGBH next Tuesday.

Edited by ghost of miles

Thanks for the mention. I'll be producing the WGBH broadcast on Tuesday night.

When I bumped into Frank at the Jazz Improv Conference in New York last fall I mentioned that we had moved into a new building with new studios and a brand new 9' Steinway Concert Grand (Hamburg) piano his immediate response was, "I'd take the train up to Boston to play that!" That's exactly what will happen on Tuesday night from 9-10pm. Tune in and enjoy!

www.wgbh.org/jazz

for anyone that's interested, frank's performance at wgbh last night was simply beautiful. it's not often that you get the chance to hear a great artist like frank playing a beautiful, responsive instrument in an environment specifically designed for this kind of experience. it was a real treat to witness this live broadcast first-hand, and i hope those who were listening on the radio enjoyed it as well. i've enjoyed frank's playing in a number of settings over the years, i.e., maria schneider's orchestra, the herbie nichols project, his trio, and his duos with joe locke. to hear him in a solo setting is something else, though. someone asked him why it took so long to release a solo recording*, and why there aren't that many solo jazz piano releases. sure, there are popularity and business factors to consider in recording solo. i think it also might have something to do with the sheer intensity and the artistic vulnerability of solo performance. it just might be too much for some listeners, and possibly too much for some musicians as well. regardless, i want to thank frank for an unforgettable experience, and also thank my friend stevebop for making it all possible. you guys are great!

* frank's new solo recoding air is only available from the palmetto records website (cd and mp3). i recommend it highly. here's the link: air

137_1199291499.jpg