Miroslav Vitous - Universal syncopations (ECM)

Claude

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Merci du "head's up", Claude!

I also love "Infinite Search". A friend of mine got the LP in the early 70s and thrashed it to death. I have heard very few other albums more than that one. Recently, I tracked down the complete session on CD. To do this, I had to get TWO CDs, each missing one track! I made a CDr in the original LP order. It still sounds absolutely fresh, and it still holds my attention all the way through. What a creative musician Miros is!

This should be a great reunion.

Two observations:

1. 'Infinite Search' is a wonderful album that I'm sure is a long time favourite of many. But it was made a long time ago. I'm not sure we'll be doing the new album justice by comparing it with that one right from the start. Maybe once we've got the measure of the new one, but... I'd hate to think that everything I did today would be immediately scrutinised in regard to how I did the same thing 30 years ago (no lewd comments please!).

Personally I hope its very different (though just as good). These chaps (those involved on the original, that is, and in similar music of that time period) have all moved on a long way since then. I hope it won't be one of those 'Let's recreate our glory days' outings.

2. Nice positive review linked above. I found this interesting "For many listeners who have grown tired of Garbarek’s recent solo work, his playing on Universal Syncopations will signal a return to form, yet this is not a look back; rather, it is a consolidation and move forward." Now I'd have been one of those listeners a bit weary of Garbareks recent direction up to a few months back. However, immersing myself in Scandanavian folk music of late has made me much more appreciative of the recent Garbarek. I don't think Garbarek's been 'off form'...I do think he's been doing things that are not part of the jazz norm.

Maybe 'will signal a return closer to the contemporary jazz mainstream' might be more accurate.

I'm sure your right, Shrdlu.

It's just that evaluations of new discs can often be couched (quite naturally) by reference to earlier ones. Where you have a disc that has an enormous reputation followed 30 years later by a similar line-up then there's a tendency to evaluate the new by the old.

I just know we're going to read (not necessarily here) comments on the lines of 'This really isn't up to the standard of Infinite Search.' I recall similar things being said about the Remembering Shakti discs, finding them wanting by the comparison with the original Shakti. I've never really got that - the Remembering Shakti discs have obvious links of personel and style with the original group but also go off in different directions, a result of the changes the musicians have been through and the way the music world and the world in general have changed.

All I'm saying is that its probably best to leave 'Infinite Search' to one side when listening to the new disc. It might build up expections that cannot be realised.

Joe G - my sentiments exactly on "The Wish". One of the most beautiful pieces of music I've ever heard. If I ever get married, that one will be in the wedding! :D

I'm seeing Remember Shakti next Wednesday here in Chicago. The lineup from the album "The Believer" will be in the house. I saw them a couple years ago and it was a mesmerizing show.

Anyways, back to the topic, I'm greatly looking forward to "Universal Syncopations". Should be a great one.

Hold on there! I didn't even know those guys were on tour! Jim and I saw them when they were at the Chicago Theater a couple of years ago. It must have been the same show you saw (if indeed it was in Chicago where you saw them). Yeah man -- we were blown away. That's a beautiful theater too. We came back the next year to see Alison Krauss, another great show.

I don't know about the cover but 'The Promise' is probably my favourite solo McLaughlin disc of recent years. An occasion when the use of totally different line-ups playing very different styles still produces an album that hangs beautifully together.

Remembering Shakti are a marvellous live experience. I've seen them twice - once with Hariprasad Chaurasia (one of the gigs that made up some of the first RS 2CD)and once with U Shrinivas. Two superb plauers though I must express a particular liking for the flautist.

Remembering Shakti are a marvellous live experience. I've seen them twice - once with Hariprasad Chaurasia (one of the gigs that made up some of the first RS 2CD)and once with U Shrinivas. Two superb plauers though I must express a particular liking for the flautist.

Then you must have this! One of my favorite albums.

Thanks for that recommendation Joe G. Here's another one I like as well: Making Music

Don't listen to what AMG says...they know not of what they speak.

Yeah, they are playing at the Chicago Theater again, site of the amazing show two years ago! Shakti doesn't promote its tours very well....I guess I've just been lucky to find out about them when they do take place. Tickets should still be availiable if you want to go.

BTW, Jan (and everyone else) sounds great, wait, make that GREAT on this new cd. Bev is right it is more mainstream than what Jan has been doing for some time now, but it's very good, and I think all fans of Jan's playing, old or new would really enjoy this, and perhaps even be a bit surprised at times.

There's an interview with Vitous in this months Jazzwise. I wasn't all that aware of his history (despite knowing quite a few of his records) and it made interesting reading.

He's not one to undervalue himself. Commenting on how he is trying to bring jazz and classical music together he says:

"I am both classical and jazz musician - I actually play jazz with a classical approach - but now it has crystalised to a point it is really obvious, I am a bridge between the two musics. I am the key to these two worlds to join them..."

Now maybe the self-regard that comes across here might be a result of not speaking in his native language. But it reminded me of John Surman's comments about playing with Vitous, recorded in Jazz Review earlier this year:

"Well, first of all he's about the only guy who really can play great arco solos. And he's got a fantastic ear. Unfortunately he's got a fantastic ego as well and that's one of the things that really is difficult. It never was easy to work with Miroslav. I don't want to risk a lawsuit here but he was quite stubborn. He would go forward, his own way and sometimes he wasn't paying enough attention to Jon Christensen, John Taylor, Kenny [Kirkland] or myself in the music. He found it quite difficult if he wasn't the star. He liked to be the star, whereas we were very much more democratic. He was a fantastic player but had his own agenda about things and he wasn't an easy person to get on with. He had strong ideas about what he wanted for himself. He wasn't a team player. He had a goal and he wanted to follow that goal. But what a great talent. He had great time - just listen to "Now He Sings, Now He Sobs" with Chick and Roy. It's amazing."

Edited by Bev Stapleton

Got it today but want to give it some spins before I comment on it. Does the interview or any other source say anything about these three brass players on the CD? Were they overdubbed, "added as an afterthought", as Al Kooper put it with his Super Session horn overdubs?

Edited by mikeweil

Not that I can remember. He does say that the album was originally conceived for group with orchestra but he then decided that one note from Garbarek was more powerful than the symphony orchestra. So maybe that's where some of the voicings come from.

He also mentions that the reason he as been MIA in recent years is because he has been working on his own company 'Miroslav Vitous Symphonic Orchestra Samples', making samples for synths I presume but ones that will allow a much more real approximation of a symphony orchestra. "It has been on top of the market for the last ten years," he tells us! Apparently the work he did on that led to Universal Syncopations.

He's planning to take the group - or one as close to it as possible - on the road next year; and also has plans for a quartet with Danny Gottlieb.