George Lewis - Clarinetist

paul secor

I'm looking for a good George Lewis - the N.O. clarinetist, not the AACM musician - recording. The only George Lewis I have is Reunion on Delmark, but I like that more for Jim Robinson's and Cie Frazier's playing than for Mr. Lewis.

I'm thinking about his Plays Hymns CD.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance for any responses.

You will probably get a lot of different opinions here. One of the problems is that some of Lewis' own best playing is with rather out of tune bands.

Of the discs that I have, I like the Beverley Caverns sessions quite a bit. I also like "With Kid Shots" on American, although be warned that some of the playing here by the band is rather rough.

I also find the Riverside album George Lewis of New Orleans (Original Zenith Jazz Band and Eclipse Alley Five) to be interesting, although perhaps primarily from the historical point of view. I find it to be one of the more convincing of many attempts to get older New Olreans musicians in the 1940s to resurrect the music lias they played it 30 years previous to then.

I'll second the recommendation for the Beverly Caverns, and I really like the Verve albums, which unfortunately aren't on cd (what a nice Select that would be).

I like all the Riversides as well, and haven't explored the GHB labels output too thoroughly, something else to look forward to.

There are a lot (to put it mildly) of George Lewis recordings that have been issued over the years.

There's a certain sameness to the recordings (similar groups, similar material). Some of the material was recorded at live concerts, and the fidelity of some issues leaves a lot to be desired.

One George Lewis recording that stands out for me and which I've recommended to others is a trio session where he plays spirituals ("George Lewis Plays Hymns", Milneburg Records MCD 1). It's from 1964.

And I just noticed that it was mentioned in Paul's original question that started this thread (missed that reference originally). So, if you are predisposed to jazz versions of spirituals, definitely go for that one.

I'll second the recommendation for the Beverly Caverns, and I really like the Verve albums, which unfortunately aren't on cd (what a nice Select that would be).

I like all the Riversides as well, and haven't explored the GHB labels output too thoroughly, something else to look forward to.

I've only got one George Lewis - a live album on Storyville of some radio broadcasts from 1953. I like it quite a bit; definitely fun stuff. The guy who flogs me organic groceries in Ponty is a huge George Lewis fan. I asked him what he'd recommend, because they're all a bit expensive over here, and he said, "go around the charity shops and buy any you see."

MG

I like the Verves too..and they've really been ignored. I don't think any of them have been in print since the early 60s.

I have the Atlantic NO set, the Blue Note CD (from their 60th b-day series which was made up of six very good trad-jazz/swing releases: BN Jazzmen 2CD, BN Swingtets, Edmond Hall, Sidney Bechet "Runnin' Wild" - or was it just five, I can't recall another one...), and this one on Jazzology/American Music, which is my favourite:

http://www.jazzology.com/item_detail.php?id=AMCD-4

B000008BL1.01._SCMZZZZZZZ_V1056641440_.jpg

The Atlantic material, particularly the trio session, is my favorite George Lewis. For me, George Lewis in large doses is a little overwhelming, but there are times when NOTHING else will do--he occupies a unique space.

Has anyone heard the Red Allen/George Lewis CD from AMerican Music?--it's one I've been curious about for awhile.

• 4 years later...

in theory i'd have preferred Mosaic but since either they or most of us will be dead before they get to George Lewis again... the Upbeat label seems to have embarked on a Lewis series while some weren't lookin'--

http://www.upbeatrecordings.co.uk/product.asp?pn=2786

www.upbeatrecordings.co.uk/product.asp?pn=2866

www.upbeatrecordings.co.uk/product.asp?pn=2569

www.upbeatrecordings.co.uk/product.asp?pn=2484

TOOT TOOT!!

I like the Verves too..and they've really been ignored. I don't think any of them have been in print since the early 60s.

Edited by MomsMobley

There's a great performance recording of George Lewis that could be hard to find. Over the years I've had both Japanese (King) and German (Telefunken) versions on LP. The Japanese CD version I've had since about 1990 is on Paddle Wheel (a King label) 240E 6846. May have been reissued since then...

It's Lewis with Punch Miller (tpt), Louis Nelson (tbn), Joe Robichaux (pno), Emanuel Sayles (bjo), "Papa" John Joseph (bss) and Joe Watkins (dms). Fourteen tracks (all the expected tunes) recorded with a lovely natural ambiance at Kosei-Nenkin Kaikan Hall in Tokyo on Aug.21, 1963.

I always think of them as Old Men, but most were just in their early 60s at the time.

• 3 weeks later...

Did anyone actually ever compare the Mosaic and the two discs with some of the same material on American Music?

I was overjoyed to find the Mosaic some time back, but then didn't like the discovery that I've already owned a substantial part of it ... and just stacked the discs away then ...

How come, anyway, that material ended up on American Music and Blue Note?

Did anyone actually ever compare the Mosaic and the two discs with some of the same material on American Music?

I was overjoyed to find the Mosaic some time back, but then didn't like the discovery that I've already owned a substantial part of it ... and just stacked the discs away then ...

How come, anyway, that material ended up on American Music and Blue Note?

As you probably know, the 1943 George Lewis recordings were made in New Orleans by Bill Russell. Alfred Lion was with him; he was very excited by the recordings and wanted to issue them, which he did on Climax. I don't know the details of the deal they made, but I do know that Russell kept the original session acetates - Lion took copies. I'm doing a little reading between the lines here, but I think that the deal as Russell understood it didn't give Blue Note the right to release the alternate takes; Russell leased various unreleased masters to the Japanese Dan label in the 1970s.

Russell is clearly talking about Mosaic in his liner notes to the George Lewis Trios & Bands CD on American Music; he's speaking about three alternate takes from the 1943 session: "Although these selections have recently been issued in a third-of-a-million-dollar illegal bootleg operation this is the first time these three numbers have been issued from the original master acetates." Based on a couple of other cases where other labels have issued material belonging to the Jazzology group, I'm guessing that American Music/Jazzology complained to Mosaic and/or threatened a lawsuit and won the right to issue the entire session themselves.

• 3 weeks later...

I can recommend " Dr Jazz" from 1959 ( HMV) UK ex. Verve. UK edition in fine sound with a rather interesting pianist Joe Robichaux. He has a very modern touch which at time sounds as if he's floundering over the keys but I like a lot. The great studio sound in decent stereo helps a great deal. Excellent session and the best I've heard from George Lewis ( I've only heard half a dozen!) . Repertoire isn't all that common place either

Royal Telephone

Into each life sound rain must fall

Chant of the tuxedos

The old spinning wheel

Bugle boy boy march

2:19 blues

Doctor Jazz

Oh, Mary don't you weep

GL ( cl), Andrew Anderson (t), Robert Mielke(tmb) , JR (p) , Alcide Pavageau (bs) & Joe Watkins (dms)

Edited by Clunky