Heath Ledger found dead

I saw him as one of the Dylans in I'm Not There yet didn't recognize him as "the guy from Brokeback Mountain." I didn't figure out that was him until reading the obit today. Damn, that's what the good actors want to happen, that you forget who they are and believe the character. (It might help that I'm not great with names though.)

Try the Lucky Thompson Trio with Skeeter Best on guitar and Oscar Pettiford on bass. Boppish - and beautiful! It's currently available on Lucky Thompson Meets Oscar Pettiford (Fresh Sound).

Heard about this on NPR this morning...what a shock!! And only 28??? Such a waste!

His body was found around 3:31 PM, but you heard about it this morning. Could I have the name of your crystal ball gazer?

Could have sworn it was the morning...

Well, as a West coast dude, it was three hours earlier your time...

Try the Lucky Thompson Trio with Skeeter Best on guitar and Oscar Pettiford on bass. Boppish - and beautiful! It's currently available on Lucky Thompson Meets Oscar Pettiford (Fresh Sound).

Heard about this on NPR this morning...what a shock!! And only 28??? Such a waste!

His body was found around 3:31 PM, but you heard about it this morning. Could I have the name of your crystal ball gazer?

Could have sworn it was the morning...

Well, as a West coast dude, it was three hours earlier your time...

Which makes it 12:31 pm in LA.

PS: Just saw this in one on-line obit: "At the time of his death, Ledger had just finished playing the villain The Joker in "The Dark Knight," the latest installment in the Batman series. The film is to open in July."

His version of The Joker appears to be a little different than Nicholson:

medium_Batman%20-%20The%20Joker-d3xjfbwm.jpg

The makeup sure is casual...I like it.

One thing that gets me, is the location. I have a good friend that has a long time bartending gig a few blocks away. Our own JLarsen lives in that neighborhood, a bit North of there, I think. But then, that's the city...these things happen and there's a lot of people there...

Yep, I'm just a few blocks away. But it is a celebrity-heavy part of town (even a couple in my building).

Anyway, this was sad news. He did seem to be a very promising talent.

Rolled - Up $20 Bill Was Near Ledger Body

By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

Published: January 23, 2008

Filed at 3:01 p.m. ET

NEW YORK (AP) -- A rolled-up $20 bill was found near Heath Ledger's body, though no illegal drugs were found in his apartment, police said Wednesday -- the same day an autopsy on the ''Brokeback Mountain'' actor came back inconclusive.

The bill would be taken to a lab for testing, though no visible drug residue was found on it, police said. NYPD Commissioner Ray Kelly released the information at a Manhattan news conference, but did not elaborate on whether police think the bill may have been used to ingest drugs.

Meanwhile, authorities said the autopsy on Heath Ledger was inconclusive and that it would take about 10 days to determine a definitive cause of death for the ''Brokeback Mountain'' actor, whose fans remembered him Wednesday by leaving flowers and candles outside his Manhattan apartment.

• 2 weeks later...

I never saw any of his movies, so I have no opinion of his talent or the loss to acting his death will mean.

But in the forty-eight hours following his death, there was a great deal on CNN and Fox News Channel about how tragic his death was, and how sorrowful the world is.

Now the word has come out that this fellow was seriously messed up. He was a heroin and cocaine addict. His girl friend moved out with their child because she couldn't take his drug lifestyle any longer.

Quite a number of my favorite jazz musicians of the fifties were drug addicts, so I believe in separating the art from the artist. You can love one without respecting the other. So I suppose this is just as true for movie actors as well.

But I hope the word goes out to the young movie-going crowd that this guy's death was not the romantic thing it was treated as initially. He was not someone to be admired.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/01312008/gossi...x/pagesix_u.htm

Quite a number of my favorite jazz musicians of the fifties were drug addicts, so I believe in separating the art from the artist. You can love one without respecting the other.

Boy do you have a lot to learn about art and artists. It is entirely possible some/much of what you love is the result of addiction. That might make you an enabler.

Quite a number of my favorite jazz musicians of the fifties were drug addicts, so I believe in separating the art from the artist. You can love one without respecting the other.

Boy do you have a lot to learn about art and artists. It is entirely possible some/much of what you love is the result of addiction. That might make you an enabler.

Wouldn't it make more sense to say that some of the artistry is a function of the same thing that results in drug addiction rather than being a function of the addiction itself ?

The sorrows of life are the joys of art....

But I hope the word goes out to the young movie-going crowd that this guy's death was not the romantic thing it was treated as initially. He was not someone to be admired.

No, his death was not "romantic." But, as an actor, he is very much to be admired. Similarly, I wouldn't recommend checking out like Kurt Cobain, but I admire the hell out of his music.

I never saw any of his movies, so I have no opinion of his talent or the loss to acting his death will mean.

But in the forty-eight hours following his death, there was a great deal on CNN and Fox News Channel about how tragic his death was, and how sorrowful the world is.

Now the word has come out that this fellow was seriously messed up. He was a heroin and cocaine addict. His girl friend moved out with their child because she couldn't take his drug lifestyle any longer.

Quite a number of my favorite jazz musicians of the fifties were drug addicts, so I believe in separating the art from the artist. You can love one without respecting the other. So I suppose this is just as true for movie actors as well.

Uh, you don't commit suicide because you're in good mental health...

Uh, you don't commit suicide because you're in good mental health...

this was not a suicide according to all reports.