OUR DUMB ASS DOG GOT SKUNKED!

I no sooner opened the door to take out the trash and our dog zoomed in on a nasty ass skunk! She got it right in the face! She's in the garage for the night and the funk is trying to invade the house...

Anybody got any helpful and effective solutions for cleaning up the dumb ass dog and getting rid of the skank??

AAAARRRRGGHHHH!

That happened to me a couple years ago. Here is what I used with pretty good success.

A mixture of

1. Dawn liquid dish detergent,

2. Baking Soda, and

3. Hydrogen Peroxide.

I don't remember the exact amount I used of each, but I do remember that you make it into a semi-thick paste. Then apply the paste to the affected areas on the dog and let it sit a while.

The combination of the soap, baking soad and peroxide do a good job of stripping out the skunk oils. You may have to do a few applications, but It should work.

When it happened to me, it was about 5 in the morning. My dog killed the skunk too, so we had to clean up all the skunk guts that were strewn about the yard. AACCCKKK.

When I went to the grocery store to buy the ingredients listed above, tha cashier gave me some unsolicited advice.

Ohhhh! You should use a DOUCHE!

:wacko:

So if my mixture doesn't work, try massengill!

Good luck!

Randy, Depending on how large your hound is, an old tried and true remedy is giving them a bath with tomato juice. Believe it or not, it works....the citric acid has something to do with it. Last year we were turned on to a product called De-Skunk made by Mensa Products out of Fort Lauderdale. It was in one of our local pet stores. It works well too and the dog doesn't smell like a Bloody Mary for a week. ;)

Wasn't there an episode on the Brady Bunch in which Alice either soaked the dog or all the kids in Tomato juice?

i don't remember the Brady Bunch episode, but i do remember an episode of The Partridge Family. they were going to do a concert for "sick kids" at a hospital. because their clothes were ruined by the skunk, they borrowed clothes from various strangers (ha ha), got back on the bus and got re-stunk from the skunk smell, and performed in the operating room (because they smelled so bad) with the children watching from the observation area directly above the surgical suite.

;)

My first thought was to fire the dog and get a cat. Unfortunately most dogs don't get it and will repeat this annoying behavior in regards to le pew but in terms of antidote the tomato juice solution recommended by Ron F and others seems to work best like Ron I'm in an area where there are a lot of skunks and they can be a real pain if you have a pooch.Good luck and I hope you don't live in an area with a lot of porcupines.That's a whole different set of headaches.

Sorry to hear this, Randissimo.

It's a bit after-the-fact, but the tomato juice remedy definitely works, according to my late wife. She grew up in a rural location in SW Ontario (near Windsor), and told me about a time when their two cats got squirted. Of course, the kitties tried to come into the house, but were caught just in time. Her Mom got rid of the smell with tomato juice.

All the best. Sorry if this makes me think of a Warner Bros cartoon!

Shrdlu that is the first time I've ever heard of a cat getting zapped. I guess it was a case of youth and inexperience.Most cats that I've known of seem to have an attitude of respect towards skunks. I remember watching a skunk go right by a cat one night and the cat did not move and the skunk went about it's buisness.

The skunk has few natural enemies for rather obvious reasons but the dog would like to assume that role for whatever reasons.Dogs often view skunks as something that must be treed,cornered and subdued and the results of such behavior aren't usually too hard to predict.

Thanks everybody for your feedback, suggestions, and levity.. For the record, tomato juice does not work.. It only masks the stink for awhile but doesn't neutralize the odor compounds that are in the oil of the skunk's spray..

What does work is hydrogen peroxide 3%, baking soda, and 2 tablespoons of dish soap applied several times.. The dawg almost smells normal now.. We just have to get the stank out of the garage now :wacko:

for those who prefer store-bought to home remedies, i can recommend:

v300944.jpg

Nature's Miracle Skunk Odor Remover

Nature's Miracle Skunk Odor Remover doesn't just cover up skunk odors, it removes the source of skunk odors from pets, people, clothing and carpets. It completely removes the source of the odor, rather than covering it with a masking scent.