Dave Easley

Guest Bill Barton

Guest Bill Barton
;) Yeah, a hair "too much" but definitely shoots the stereotypes for pedal steel full of holes. Some nice shots of arms reaching for drinks and the back of somebody's head, eh?

• 4 months later...

;) Yeah, a hair "too much" but definitely shoots the stereotypes for pedal steel full of holes. Some nice shots of arms reaching for drinks and the back of somebody's head, eh?

Bill and Nate. I don’t really want to argue the question of “too much” or not too much. I played it. I posted it. Obviously I don’t think it’s “too much” but I want to say that I’m not responsible for the camera work. The poor guitar player, Jim Stahlhut, obtained the videos from whoever took them and sent them to me with his blessings to post them if I wished to do so. Of course I told him I was disappointed I didn’t get to see him but what could I do about that? The video was taken at a steel guitar convention and, apparently, the cameraman set up on a tripod, focused on where the steel players sit and left the camera in place the whole time. I’m grateful for the use of his work and do not feel inclined to complain about the particulars of it.

As far as the stereotyping of pedal steels is concerned, I think that that situation historically has not been helped at all by people other than those playing the instrument deciding what’s “too much”. Incidentally, the owner of the arm that you noticed reaching for a drink clearly didn’t share your opinion. Everyone’s entitled to have one’s own, and hers was quite positive. She stood out in my mind amongst the very encouraging people I met there. If it weren’t for nice people like that I’d want to find a good place to jump off of the world when I see people dis what I’ve really put a lot of heart into in two words.

Dave Easley

Guest Bill Barton

Hi, Dave! It's nice to see you here. The reason I originally posted the clips is that I like them a lot.

I can't speak for Nate, but the reason I punctuated with a ;) in the reply to him is that "too much" can be interpreted in a number of different ways. I was thinking along the lines of "a gas" while he appeared to be thinking along the lines of virtuosity.

The music is superb IMHO and the technical quality of the video doesn't really matter to me, by the way. I was joking about the camera work.

Bill and Nate. I don’t really want to argue the question of “too much” or not too much. I played it. I posted it. Obviously I don’t think it’s “too much” but I want to say that I’m not responsible for the camera work. The poor guitar player, Jim Stahlhut, obtained the videos from whoever took them and sent them to me with his blessings to post them if I wished to do so. Of course I told him I was disappointed I didn’t get to see him but what could I do about that? The video was taken at a steel guitar convention and, apparently, the cameraman set up on a tripod, focused on where the steel players sit and left the camera in place the whole time. I’m grateful for the use of his work and do not feel inclined to complain about the particulars of it.

As far as the stereotyping of pedal steels is concerned, I think that that situation historically has not been helped at all by people other than those playing the instrument deciding what’s “too much”. Incidentally, the owner of the arm that you noticed reaching for a drink clearly didn’t share your opinion. Everyone’s entitled to have one’s own, and hers was quite positive. She stood out in my mind amongst the very encouraging people I met there. If it weren’t for nice people like that I’d want to find a good place to jump off of the world when I see people dis what I’ve really put a lot of heart into in two words.

Dave Easley

Dave, I respect your work with Brian Blade Fellowship and what you put onto record with that group, but what I do not like is someone who can't take a little criticism. You're in the business to take criticism whether you like it or not, right? I mean lighten up a little. There are always going to be people who aren't going to dig what you do. Be grateful that somebody here at least acknowledged you. You shouldn't take what everyone says so literal.

Edited by bluemonk

Dave Easley

Dave, I respect your work with Brian Blade Fellowship and what you put onto record with that group, but what I do not like is someone who can't take a little criticism. You're in the business to take criticism whether you like it or not, right? I mean lighten up a little. There are always going to be people who aren't going to dig what you do. Be grateful that somebody here at least acknowledged you. You shouldn't take what everyone says so literal.

Hi, Grover. As I said, everyone's entitled to have their own opinion, which they can express in places like this but can't I express mine as well? By the way, Nate said this, "Though I think he's, as they say, "too much" (in a literal sense)." ANd then you said this, "You shouldn't take what everyone says so literal."

I'm in the business to play music which I'm going to do now. I didn't mean to make anybody mad. I just think that honesty deserves honesty. Thanks for the acknowledgement, and kind words, Bill.

Dave Easley

Hi, Grover. As I said, everyone's entitled to have their own opinion, which they can express in places like this but can't I express mine as well? By the way, Nate said this, "Though I think he's, as they say, "too much" (in a literal sense)." ANd then you said this, "You shouldn't take what everyone says so literal."

I'm in the business to play music which I'm going to do now. I didn't mean to make anybody mad. I just think that honesty deserves honesty. Thanks for the acknowledgement, and kind words, Bill.

You can express your opinions here all day long, Dave. I'm happy to hear them, because again, I liked your work with Blade. All I was saying is that it just sounded like you're making a big deal over someone else's comment. Fluff it off...move on, that's the professional thing to do.

I know a lot of people where I've played who personally said they don't like my guitar playing, which is okay, because all I know is as long as I'm honest with myself and I enjoy doing what I do, then it really doesn't matter what anyone thinks.

Since I brought up Brian Blade, why aren't you on the new album? I mean you were on the last two, why aren't you on this one? They could have used you.

Edited by bluemonk

Dave Easley

You can express your opinions here all day long, Dave. I'm happy to hear them, because again, I liked your work with Blade. All I was saying is that it just sounded like you're making a big deal over someone else's comment. Fluff it off...move on, that's the professional thing to do.

I know a lot of people where I've played who personally said they don't like my guitar playing, which is okay, because all I know is as long as I'm honest with myself and I enjoy doing what I do, then it really doesn't matter what anyone thinks.

Since I brought up Brian Blade, why aren't you on the new album? I mean you were on the last two, why aren't you on this one? They could have used you.

I'm the same way, Groover. If I liked my gig, I'm happy. If I didn't like it I'm my own worst critic. I'll try to stick to opinion and spare people the emotional part of my reaction.

I've got to get one of those new BB records. I'd love to hear it! I should have hit Brian up the last time I saw him. Maybe he'll use me on another one one day. He hired me for two rock songs when I was in LA. At louisianamusicfactory.com they've got 3 albums by 3 Now 4 that I'm on. The first two include one of Brian's former teachers, Johnny Vidacovich, on drums and cymbols.

I don't think that Easley's playing is "too much". I like it a lot. I saw him with Brian Blade and really liked his approach, and like these new links a lot too.

When Brian Blade played in our city years ago, the newspaper columnist wrote that it would be a country/jazz fusion. It turned out to be not that at all. This shows the limited thinking people have about steel guitar, I think.

I'm the same way, Groover. If I liked my gig, I'm happy. If I didn't like it I'm my own worst critic. I'll try to stick to opinion and spare people the emotional part of my reaction.

I've got to get one of those new BB records. I'd love to hear it! I should have hit Brian up the last time I saw him. Maybe he'll use me on another one one day. He hired me for two rock songs when I was in LA. At louisianamusicfactory.com they've got 3 albums by 3 Now 4 that I'm on. The first two include one of Brian's former teachers, Johnny Vidacovich, on drums and cymbols.

That's really cool, Dave. Again, you should've been on the new Blade album and that's all there is to it. That Fellowship sound isn't the same without you. I will also say your solo on "Evinrude-Fifty (Trembling)" from the album "Perpetual" is amazing! I never heard a pedal steel player play jazz licks and the overall feeling you had was emotional. I really dig your playing Dave.

In my opinion, you, John Cowherd, and Brian Blade were the "Fellowship" sound. Brian Blade could have easily used Steve Cardenas instead of Rosenwinkel or the two saxophone players could have been replaced by Joshua Redman and Mark Turner. I mean there are a lot of people to think about, but Blade couldn't replace you or John Cowherd and now you're not on the new album and that really pisses me off.

Keep up the good work, Dave!

Edited by bluemonk

That's really cool, Dave. Again, you should've been on the new Blade album and that's all there is to it. That Fellowship sound isn't the same without you. I will also say your solo on "Evinrude-Fifty (Trembling)" from the album "Perpetual" is amazing! I never heard a pedal steel player play jazz licks and the overall feeling you had was emotional. I really dig your playing Dave.

In my opinion, you, John Cowherd, and Brian Blade were the "Fellowship" sound. Brian Blade could have easily used Steve Cardenas instead of Rosenwinkel or the two saxophone players could have been replaced by Joshua Redman and Mark Turner. I mean there are a lot of people to think about, but Blade couldn't replace you or John Cowherd and now you're not on the new album and that really pisses me off.

Keep up the good work, Dave!

Thanks for the vote of confidence, Groover. Maybe there will be a Fellowship reunion tour one day and the whole gang will be back together.

• 2 weeks later...

I am Jim Stahlhut. I am the guitar player you cannot see on the Dave Easley video. There were 5,000 - 6,000 people at the convention that the video was shot at. Dave's playing was the hit of the convention. Everyone was talking about his playing. I personally think Dave's playing was "too much", I love it that way. That's why I love playing with Dave, because I can count on him taking the music to the edge and driving me with his creativity. As far as the camera shots go, you get what you got. You should hear Dave play on my latest CD "The Angle of Incidence". He plays beautifully. Very melodically in spots and out in others. Seamus Blake is on that CD and he loved playing with Dave. Seamus loved Dave's approach. I recently gave a copy of my CD to Kurt Rosenwinkel. He thanked me 3 times and could not wait to hear Dave's playing and of course Seamus. I am playing with Dave at the Dazzle Supper Club in Denver on July 29th. I am counting on Dave playing "too much". I know it will be "too much" in a very musical way. Dave and I are also playing The International Steel Guitar Convention, St. Louis, Missouri on August 30th. It will be the very same band as in the video. Come out and hear it live. Dave does a great job of stretching the bounds of Jazz and the steel guitar. I am proud to have him as a friend and an occasional band member.

Jim Stahlhut

http://jimstahlhut.com/

Edited by Jim Stahlhut

I am Jim Stahlhut. I am the guitar player you cannot see on the Dave Easley video. There were 5,000 - 6,000 people at the convention that the video was shot at. Dave's playing was the hit of the convention. Everyone was talking about his playing. I personally think Dave's playing was "too much", I love it that way. That's why I love playing with Dave, because I can count on him taking the music to the edge and driving me with his creativity. As far as the camera shots go, you get what you got. You should hear Dave play on my latest CD "The Angle of Incidence". He plays beautifully. Very melodically in spots and out in others. Seamus Blake is on that CD and he loved playing with Dave. Seamus loved Dave's approach. I recently gave a copy of my CD to Kurt Rosenwinkel. He thanked me 3 times and could not wait to hear Dave's playing and of course Seamus. I am playing with Dave at the Dazzle Supper Club in Denver on July 29th. I am counting on Dave playing "too much". I know it will be "too much" in a very musical way. Dave and I are also playing The International Steel Guitar Convention, St. Louis, Missouri on August 30th. It will be the very same band as in the video. Come out and hear it live. Dave does a great job of stretching the bounds of Jazz and the steel guitar. I am proud to have him as a friend and an occasional band member.

Jim Stahlhut

http://jimstahlhut.com/

Don't worry about it, Jim! I like yours and Dave's playing a lot. I went on your website and am very impressed with what you had to say...musically.

Edited by bluemonk