BFT 54 disc one discussion

Big Al

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reading Bassman's posts have been such a treat! I can hear a very heavy German accent in his guesses! There's a DJ on a local radio station who is Bavarian and he has a Bavarian show playing polkas, German music, as well as big bands from America, stuff like that, and he's always talking about Bavaria und ze Bavarian food und ze music und he never stopz talking long enough to take a breath because he goes from one topic to ze next.... and it is always a blast to listen to him! I wish I knew his name; for all I know, maybe it is Mr. Bassman! :)

Anyway, detailed comments to follow!

Thank You Big Al for the nice comments, but i am definitely not that Bavarian DJ.... I am a native Swabian (german: Schwabe), precisely near Stuttgart. But this is a nice story, hehe. I don't have much practice using the english/american language, I lost nearly all the grammer-knowledge and sometimes it is pure dictionary-language, this is the reason for this heavy accent. But i will try to increase my level :D

Well, it was a treat to write down my comments, and i had some time to do this. And sometimes there is a chance to tell such stories, because they realy happen.

Mikeweil encouraged me to write in this direction, not only posting some name-guesses or "boring" NMCOT-comments. But you can't do this every time. This BFT had indeed some nice "catches" for a "rope of stories" :D so why not sharing them here a bit?

Well, guessing together is really fun, and if there is a chance for that, i can recommend this at highest level ! :party: We (mikeweil and me) might do it again, but we can't promise that for every disc or BFT. ;)

As it is late here in Germany and we just returned from a birthday-party, I am a bit tired and therefore there is only a short post this time ^_^ , i will return tomorrow (hopefully) and there is still Disk #2 .... and BFT #55 arrived already!

with regards

Mr. Bassman

I'm only through disc 1 part 1, but I'm going to have to do this in sections. I haven't read the thread, yet, I'm going to see how I do first. Thanks extended to Chas for hipping me to the availability of these files.

Track 1 -- No idea. Sounds a bit like Dizzy's band, but the trumpet doesn't have Dizzy's chops. I like the arrangement, especially the bari. Playing is a tad sloppy, so I'm thinking a second tier band.

Track 2 -- Sounds like Maynard's band with Kamuca to me. No idea what the record is.

Track 3 -- Ellington, Hodges... I think late 50's. Sounds like Jimmy Jones on piano. Very nice.

Track 4 -- Not entirely sure. Sounds like Phil Woods on alto, so I'm wondering if it might be Quincy's band. Didn't like the tenor at all. The band on the whole is rather stiff... just didn't swing.

Track 5 -- I recognize this, but this style is my weakest area (notwithstanding fusion). No clue. I'd guess and older, (don't crucify me for this) white, big band.

Track 6 -- Johnny Griffin for sure. Maybe the Clarke-Boland band. I love it, whatever it is.

Track 7 -- Oh yeah, baby. Beautiful. That's Benny Golson. I gonna say Blakey. Not sure on the trumpet... maybe Bill Hardman? Comping sounded like Cedar Walton, but the solo did not. Not sure.

Track 8 -- Jimmy Heath's Gemini. That's from Triple Threat. Julius Watkins, for sure. Freddie Hubbard (very GOOD Freddie)... hmmm... Bobby Timmons? Oh no, that's Walton. I'm pretty sure one of his brothers was on this... Tootie? Not sure about the bass. This cut really reminds me of Mohawk from J.J. Inc.

Hope to listen to more tomorrow and post what I think on it. Hope I didn't make a complete fool of myself, but I'm pretty confident on the last 3.

Edited by Thom Keith

Eh, what the hell. I decided to finish disc one.

Track 09 - Recognize the tune, but can't think of the title. Just not sure who this is. Don't like the vibes at all... very cluttered.

Track 10 - This is nice, but doesn't really grab me. Can't quite put my finger on why. Piano seems too busy during the guitar solo.

Track 11 - I think this is a Horace Silver tune. Reminds me of the record in the late 80s with Red Holloway. Electric bass - the bane of my existence. Don't like the tenor at all. I'm going say Mike Brecker, because it totally rubs me. Plays his ass off, but it has nothing to do with the music. Egad that man frustrates me. Not sure about the trumpet... sounds too mellow to be Randy B (whom I *do* like). If this is Horace's band, it's from a period I'm not that familiar with (post Jody Grind). Oh yeah, that's Horace. Don't care for the drums at all... that 70's tinny disco sound. Don't need to hear that again. You know, that could double for the Barney Miller theme.

Track 12 - Silveresque arrangement, but I don't recognize the tune. Could be Lee, but doesn't sound strong enough to me. Can't quite put my finger on the piano player. Clifford Jordan on tenor. Could that have been Blue Mitchell on trumpet. Aw, man! Clifford is so *baaaad*! Oh! Wait a minute, I know this. This is Take Twelve. Can't remember the tune name. Lee, Clifford... Barry Harris on piano, heck that's obvious now. Louis Hayes (that's from memory)... bass... either Watkins or Cranshaw. Gonna have to cue that one up again soon.

Track 13 - Oh yeah! Ben, Budd Johnson and Hawk. Can't remember the title for the life of me. LOVE this! You Dirty Dog, or something silly like that. Jimmy Jones on piano, I think. Budd takes the first story. Man, *he* was a baaaad man. If you can find OFF THE WALL, grab it. Roy! Get excited little man! Huh hehe!!! I love this s**t! Hawk. Is that Kenny Clarke? Aaah, Ben. Speak, baby, speak.

Track 14 - I know this. Gorgeous tone. Damnit! I have this! I was listening to this a couple of months back. This hurts!!! Is this Billy Mitchell? It's great, whatever it is. Man... I *know* this guy! Unconscious! Plays like Hartman sings. Even sounds a little Golsonesque. I'm going to stick with Billy Mitchell. Man, that was beautiful.

Track 15 - This sounds like a fun recording, but I'm not placing anybody (I'm still in therapy after the last one). This has to be one of those all-star session recordings; drummer is just slugging it out. This is the kind of music my house was inundated with growing up. Almost sounds like Papa Joe on drums, but too heavy. I think this is probably a bunch of those guys that never really made it in bulk into my collection. Maybe Frank Wess or somebody like that.

Track 16 - Nice arrangement. What the hell is that tune. Harold Arlen? Ah! The Second Time Around. Oh! I know this. That's Bill Evans. I think this is on that Fantasy record with the terrible cover. Great personnel; Harold Land, Ray Brown, Philly Joe; but it just doesn't work (though this track is great). I remember the other Bill Evans kind of ripping that recording in his Downbeat blindfold test. He back-pedaled a bit when they revealed what it was, but I agree with him; given the personnel on that date, there's just something missing.

Edited by Thom Keith

I'm only through disc 1 part 1, but I'm going to have to do this in sections. I haven't read the thread, yet, I'm going to see how I do first. Thanks extended to Chas for hipping me to the availability of these files.

Ya, thanks Chas! The more the merrier! I'm glad you posted your guesses; they were a good read!

Track 1 -- No idea. Sounds a bit like Dizzy's band, but the trumpet doesn't have Dizzy's chops. I like the arrangement, especially the bari. Playing is a tad sloppy, so I'm thinking a second tier band.

EVERYBODY guesses Dizzy! :g

Track 2 -- Sounds like Maynard's band with Kamuca to me. No idea what the record is.

Man, I guess I need to check out some Maynard albums, if they sound anything like this!

Track 3 -- Ellington, Hodges... I think late 50's. Sounds like Jimmy Jones on piano. Very nice.

TA-DAHHHH!!!! Someone correctly identifies the piano player! Good call!

Track 4 -- Not entirely sure. Sounds like Phil Woods on alto, so I'm wondering if it might be Quincy's band. Didn't like the tenor at all. The band on the whole is rather stiff... just didn't swing.

Nope, not Quincy's band, but it is Phil Woods. I never knew his sound was so readily identifiable!

Track 5 -- I recognize this, but this style is my weakest area (notwithstanding fusion). No clue. I'd guess and older, (don't crucify me for this) white, big band.

And you'd be correct!

Track 6 -- Johnny Griffin for sure. Maybe the Clarke-Boland band. I love it, whatever it is.

I'll say it again: Griff fools NOBODY! :tup

Track 7 -- Oh yeah, baby. Beautiful. That's Benny Golson. I gonna say Blakey. Not sure on the trumpet... maybe Bill Hardman? Comping sounded like Cedar Walton, but the solo did not. Not sure.

I'll say it again: Golson fools NOBODY! :g And yes, it's Blakey on the skins! Again, good call! Not Cedar, though.

Track 8 -- Jimmy Heath's Gemini. That's from Triple Threat. Julius Watkins, for sure. Freddie Hubbard (very GOOD Freddie)... hmmm... Bobby Timmons? Oh no, that's Walton. I'm pretty sure one of his brothers was on this... Tootie? Not sure about the bass. This cut really reminds me of Mohawk from J.J. Inc.

DING! DING! DING! Nailed it! I'll have to dig out J.J. INC. again to see if I hear the similarity.

Hope to listen to more tomorrow and post what I think on it. Hope I didn't make a complete fool of myself, but I'm pretty confident on the last 3.

Heck, man, great guesses all around! :tup

Track 11 - I think this is a Horace Silver tune. Reminds me of the record in the late 80s with Red Holloway. Electric bass - the bane of my existence. Don't like the tenor at all. I'm going say Mike Brecker, because it totally rubs me. Plays his ass off, but it has nothing to do with the music. Egad that man frustrates me. Not sure about the trumpet... sounds too mellow to be Randy B (whom I *do* like). If this is Horace's band, it's from a period I'm not that familiar with (post Jody Grind). Oh yeah, that's Horace. Don't care for the drums at all... that 70's tinny disco sound. Don't need to hear that again. You know, that could double for the Barney Miller theme.

"Barney Miller" theme! HA!!! :D I think you may be onto something there! You are correct in identifying Silver and it is definitely from the 70's, but neither Brecker Bro is on this.

Track 12 - Silveresque arrangement, but I don't recognize the tune. Could be Lee, but doesn't sound strong enough to me. Can't quite put my finger on the piano player. Clifford Jordan on tenor. Could that have been Blue Mitchell on trumpet. Aw, man! Clifford is so *baaaad*! Oh! Wait a minute, I know this. This is Take Twelve. Can't remember the tune name. Lee, Clifford... Barry Harris on piano, heck that's obvious now. Louis Hayes (that's from memory)... bass... either Watkins or Cranshaw. Gonna have to cue that one up again soon.

Nailed that one, too! Good call (again!).

Track 13 - Oh yeah! Ben, Budd Johnson and Hawk. Can't remember the title for the life of me. LOVE this! You Dirty Dog, or something silly like that. Jimmy Jones on piano, I think. Budd takes the first story. Man, *he* was a baaaad man. If you can find OFF THE WALL, grab it. Roy! Get excited little man! Huh hehe!!! I love this s**t! Hawk. Is that Kenny Clarke? Aaah, Ben. Speak, baby, speak.

Preach, brother, PREACH!!! :excited: Again, he picks out Jimmy Jones! I think I've found a soul brother! :g

Track 14 - I know this. Gorgeous tone. Damnit! I have this! I was listening to this a couple of months back. This hurts!!! Is this Billy Mitchell? It's great, whatever it is. Man... I *know* this guy! Unconscious! Plays like Hartman sings. Even sounds a little Golsonesque. I'm going to stick with Billy Mitchell. Man, that was beautiful.

Alright! Someone ID's Mitchell! Been a long time comin'!

Track 16 - Nice arrangement. What the hell is that tune. Harold Arlen? Ah! The Second Time Around. Oh! I know this. That's Bill Evans. I think this is on that Fantasy record with the terrible cover. Great personnel; Harold Land, Ray Brown, Philly Joe; but it just doesn't work (though this track is great). I remember the other Bill Evans kind of ripping that recording in his Downbeat blindfold test. He back-pedaled a bit when they revealed what it was, but I agree with him; given the personnel on that date, there's just something missing.

Interesting; this is my favorite Evans record from the 70's. Ah well, different strokes! Once again, great guesses! Thanks for playing along.

Thanks for the kudos on Jimmy Jones. One caveat: You'll notice both my posts were edited. I typed, "Jimmy Johnson" in both, but didn't catch it till the second post came up. Definitely had him though -- love him. Other than Stray, did Duke ever let anybody else sit in that chair?

It *WAS* Billy Mitchell! I'll be damned! Thanks, this was great.