BFT 54 disc two discussion

Big Al

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

a more varied programme, and hence me didn't like some tracks that much, but others very... here you go:

#1 He he, Eddie who - lovely stuff, got this of course! Too bad most of the jazz listeners are so dreadfully serious as to not take Eddie for full and give him at least part of the recognition he deserved.

#2 Hm, nice... what's this? I've got trouble pinning down the time frame for this one. Trumpet is nice, lyrical, not a big sound, but good ideas. "Blue Moon", or a close take of it. Tenor has heard some Coltrane (piano post-Tyner?), that whole ostinato thing going on is pure Coltrane, roughly 1960, I'd say, Atlantic era, before it started getting all too wild... the arrangements aren't that great here, but there's something to this performance I like. Might well be something I have, in the end... is this a Tyner date? Can't be Woody Shaw? Have to repeat to hear the trumpet again! Good one, but not something I'd just put on in the background... trumpet is good!

#3 Hmmm, rather nice, isn't it? An elderly chap, I assume... can't pin him down, but I like him, and I assume I should know him... oh wait, is this Chet? Very touching performance!

#4 "Mean to Me" - sweet, ain't it? I wonder what it would sound without a mute? More Little Jazz-ish? Guitar has a nice sparse sound. Like it that there's no piano, very uncluttered, minimalist accompaniment. Lovely!

#5 More brazilian touches... I like the trumpet solo but the whole thing is too much in the comfort zone again...

#6 Oh well, I guess you can guess my take on this... not that #5 or this one are bad or something, just not stuff I'd actually listen to...

#7 not much more to say... than I said for #6, sorry.

#8 Flowery, but somehow I like this one! Nice support from the rhythm section, too. I'm not that great in identifying guitar players... the sound's too lush for Farlow, I think, Johnny Smith maybe? But then I've only got very few of his recordings... hm, repeating this one! Ah hell, sure, this is from one of the Roost sessions Smith did with Stan Getz (the little sax backing line just after the solo gave it away for me).

#9 Cute, don't like the sound, however... it's a bit cold, the drums sound dead. Some Milesian moments in the trumpet, and some Hancock-voicings behind... the drummer takes it much too easy, alas, and his sound has no body (might not be his fault...).

#10 Hm, what's that tune again? A Wes Montgomery one, no? Like this. Ugly bass sound, though...

#11 Hodges again, and lovely as always! Is this from "Back to Back" with Duke and Sweets? Time to dig that one up again! Would be Les Spann on guitar then, and Jo Jones... great one!

#12 No guesses here, but I like this!

#13 Ha, funny programming here... Fred Wesley would be the first association, but then this might also be one of Ray Anderson's projects? No, not Anderson. Not bad.

#14 Hm, another change of pace... a touch of Corea's original Return to Forever (plus vibes, that is). Nice one... Booby?

#15 So then, a mellow closer... very nice opening, film music-like. Another nice track to end this compilation

Thanks a lot, Big Al! I enjoyed the ride quite some! (more so disc 1 though, to be honest!)

ok ok, so I peed on Williams then... I have the Select, but it's still on the pile of unheard discs...

The Johnny Smith then might be with Paul Quinichette... I'm unaware of other sessions he did with horns (and don't have any, except for the Getz ones in the Roost box of Getz', will get the Mosaic once it's running low...)

Oh, and I'm a tiny bit proud I could pin down Wes M. - as I said, guitar players aren't my forte...

But then Blue Mitchell is tough again... fooled me! I have that Mosaic, but to be honest so far I always liked the quintet dates best (plus the opening album with Leo Wright and Joe Henderson). Will have to check out the last two albums again soon!

Oh, and just for the record: I love Paul Desmond, both on the few Brubeck albums I've got, as well as on all of the RCA albums! And then the "First Prize" one (on Warner CD), the albums with Mulligan, Jim Hall's "Concierto, and the A&M duo album with Brubeck (Universal LPR), but other than that... I never checked out his later/more commercial stuff so far

On to disk ZWEI .....

# 1: Another one I have had for decades - one of the many Atlantics I bought from the cutout bins in the mid-to-late 1970's ... Not my favourite tune of this saxist, whom I like so much - I wish there really had been a movie for this track so he would have made some big money out of it! http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&a...10:fxfoxq9gldje

# 2: A track from http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&a...10:jxfpxqegld6e - I'm glad I got the Mosaic box with this before it was too late! Great groove!

# 3: Should be Chet Baker - the Riverside LP with Kenny Drew? Almost too pensive - but in small doses, just the right thing.

# 4: "Mean To Me" - there's something about this trumpeter I don't like - his harmonic choices, his intonation and phrasing ... not to my taste.

# 5: Very beautiful writing! This is for the wishlist! I love lush bossa nova stylings like this.

# 6: Hmmm - whoever wrote this likes Debussy's dances for harp and orchestra. No idea, but would like to know!

# 7: Bossa and alto and strings - I don't know Desmond's albums with strings ....

# 8: Another things that doesn't say so much to me - West Coast players, nice tenor, but too pedestrain for my taste.

# 9: Should be somewhere in there: http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&a...10:gxfrxzl5ldde

Most wouldn't expect a drummer to write such a beautiful tune ... an underrrated band, IMO. I bought all these immediately after they came out. (If I'm wrong, from one of the trumpeter's LPs?)

# 10: One of Wes' tunes, or at least he made it famous, "Road Song", I think, but I like Wes' treatment a lot more, although the tempo here is interesting. They are good players, but solos are too busy and the bass sound is dreadful! They missed the point, somehow, for me.

# 11: Ellingtonia! I have this, but not the time to check what exactly it is.

# 12: No idea - nice, but not as outstanding as some other stuf in that style I have heard.

# 13: They try very hard to groove - reminds me of J.B.'s stuff ... Fred Wesley ... jazz musicians would have played that groove differently. Doesn't really grab me.

# 14: Sounds like some late 1970's Bobby Hutcherson - from the Knucklebean LP or around that time? Typical Rhodes sound. This was dubbed from a slightly excentic vinyl? I like this, nice pianist.

# 15: No idea who this is, but again, why a fadeout track for a closer?

Besides that, a very nice compilation. I think I will make a copy for the car next week. Yeah - keep swingin', Big Al!

# 1: Another one I have had for decades - one of the many Atlantics I bought from the cutout bins in the mid-to-late 1970's ... Not my favourite tune of this saxist, whom I like so much - I wish there really had been a movie for this track so he would have made some big money out of it! http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&a...10:fxfoxq9gldje

You got THAT right!!!

# 2: A track from http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&a...10:jxfpxqegld6e - I'm glad I got the Mosaic box with this before it was too late! Great groove!

Now come on: name that tune!!! :g Seriously, though, I'm not too big a fan of this set, but this one track makes the whole set worthwhile

# 3: Should be Chet Baker - the Riverside LP with Kenny Drew? Almost too pensive - but in small doses, just the right thing.

Chet yes; Riverside no.

# 5: Very beautiful writing! This is for the wishlist! I love lush bossa nova stylings like this.

A very beautiful album indeed, but this is the only track that is even remotely bossa nova.

# 6: Hmmm - whoever wrote this likes Debussy's dances for harp and orchestra. No idea, but would like to know!

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised!

# 7: Bossa and alto and strings - I don't know Desmond's albums with strings ....

Nothin' to know. This is my favorite of those albums.

# 9: Should be somewhere in there: http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&a...10:gxfrxzl5ldde

Most wouldn't expect a drummer to write such a beautiful tune ... an underrrated band, IMO. I bought all these immediately after they came out. (If I'm wrong, from one of the trumpeter's LPs?)

Nope, you were correct with your link.

# 10: One of Wes' tunes, or at least he made it famous, "Road Song", I think, but I like Wes' treatment a lot more, although the tempo here is interesting. They are good players, but solos are too busy and the bass sound is dreadful! They missed the point, somehow, for me.

Here's another one I'm surprised no one's gotten.

# 13: They try very hard to groove - reminds me of J.B.'s stuff ... Fred Wesley ... jazz musicians would have played that groove differently. Doesn't really grab me.

Then OTOH people are nailing Fred Wesley left and right! This was supposed to be the trick track, folks! You're not supposed to be getting this one right! Sheesh!!! :g

# 14: Sounds like some late 1970's Bobby Hutcherson - from the Knucklebean LP or around that time? Typical Rhodes sound. This was dubbed from a slightly excentic vinyl? I like this, nice pianist.

Thank you! What does "excentic" mean?

# 15: No idea who this is, but again, why a fadeout track for a closer?

All will be revealed in due course. Actually I think I mentioned this track earlier in the thread, but I'm too tired/lazy to dig it out!

Besides that, a very nice compilation. I think I will make a copy for the car next week. Yeah - keep swingin', Big Al!

Danke, mein freund! :)

It means "excentric" :g .... I had a few LPs with holes slightly off center, and Rhodes was always the first instrument from which I noticed!

It means "excentric" :g .... I had a few LPs with holes slightly off center, and Rhodes was always the first instrument from which I noticed!

Ah! Well, yes it was dubbed from an LP, but last time I checked, the only thing off-center was me! :D I think the reverb is going something fierce on the elec piano!

Edited by Big Al

.... just in front of the deadline.... :lol:

Theses are the comments on disc#2. This one leaves conflicting feelings.... because there are some pieces of music I would press the "next"-button very soon. But not during BFT! How could i write my impressions to a tune, if i don't listen to it carefully and, of course, it is the respect to the BFT-author, who wants to share his/her tunes with us, the BFT-maniacs :P:cool:

Okay, i start....

This is truely not my stuff...it has the character of film-music or music that "sound like a film". Nice saxophone, maybe i 've heard this once upon a time... but it leaves no traces... no recognizable traces of course.

Oh yeah, this one is more interesting, nice tune and well performed, but i am empty in this case, I don't have any idea. I will keep an eye on this.

Oh well, this would be a candidate for a very quick "next"button-pressing.... Beside my personal point of view, this is a nice ballad, ery nice interpretation, difficult to play those ballads ! But the singer is.... eh ... puh !, well he sings a bit better than me.... and my singing is really only for "alone-in-the bathtub".

But then this "soft" trumpet (?), very familiar... ah!!! some light !!! There is a trumpet-player in Jazz-History (as far as i know...), who likes singing and even very soft.... Baker ??? Well i don't have a CD with this guy as a leader, maybe some recordings including him. But i remember there are recordings "out there", even one with a certain title "CB sings" or something like that. But this is more a guess, because i can't proove this with my "tools" behind me.

A nice sunday-afternoon-tune, muted trumpet played nicely in a layed-back mood and a fine band as companions. Bass-player .... hmmm, and even more this guitar.... well i think, I've heard them some times ago... but can't remember... I have a black-out so far.... :(:rolleyes:

Another "sooftie" :wacko: , i don't mean that negative, i should say a mellow tune. Very nice acoustic-guitar solo in some ways sometimes very "modern". A very relaxing tune, but i don't have a clue or a guess.... Okay, it is not that kind of music i would "fly" to , but a tune, i will look onto when unveiled. Sometimes there is a time for that music!!! And if it is played this way the performers do, even more !

Puh, what is that? Probabely a waltz, that's clear. And i think not a classical work ??? Like #1 it could be film-music ?? No guess and, sorry, not a fav for me.

Ahhhh, this is interesting, nice mood (but why those strings ??? Aaaargh! sorry, forgive me) and fine playing saxes. very sharp "throw-ins" near the beginning, but the strings are much to loud and "unnecessary", aahhh fade out.... :w:eye:

The next tune is a moody one, the theme sounds familiar.... but listen to this relaxed mood, wow ! And this elegant fine sound of the guitar, alone this is it worth to listen to this tune. I have not the slightest idea, but this is a real little diamond. I get some "Gänsehaut" (don't know an english word for that.... it is the german word for the feeling, when your skin starts to "prickle" as a reaction to a very fine moody situation, not fear, the opposite! Excitement!.... can you follow me??? )

Hmmm, this one is not that a diamond in comparison to #8 (well, for me....). It is a fine tune anyway, but not that "big" fascinating. It has an elegant appearance, but it has a bit "easy listening" ... i should give this tune a second try after a break.... There is somewhat "strange" about the drumming... maybe i know him, but not in this environment. I will think about this tune during my break....

.... I'll be back .... :rhappy:

.... just in front of the deadline.... :lol:

Theses are the comments on disc#2. This one leaves conflicting feelings.... because there are some pieces of music I would press the "next"-button very soon. But not during BFT! How could i write my impressions to a tune, if i don't listen to it carefully and, of course, it is the respect to the BFT-author, who wants to share his/her tunes with us, the BFT-maniacs :P:cool:

Are you kidding? I dig honesty! I can take it if someone doesn't like one of the tunes I put on my BFT, especially after all the griping I've done on other folks BFTs! ;)

This is truely not my stuff...it has the character of film-music or music that "sound like a film". Nice saxophone, maybe i 've heard this once upon a time... but it leaves no traces... no recognizable traces of course.

You have no idea how perceptive you are! Others have already guessed the title, so I can't wait to hear your reaction when you find out the name of this song!

Oh well, this would be a candidate for a very quick "next"button-pressing.... Beside my personal point of view, this is a nice ballad, ery nice interpretation, difficult to play those ballads ! But the singer is.... eh ... puh !, well he sings a bit better than me.... and my singing is really only for "alone-in-the bathtub".

:rofl: "Puh" is a word I've never heard, but it cracks me up every time I see you use it! I like to sing along to this song as well, but only in the car, while driving down der strasse!

But then this "soft" trumpet (?), very familiar... ah!!! some light !!! There is a trumpet-player in Jazz-History (as far as i know...), who likes singing and even very soft.... Baker ??? Well i don't have a CD with this guy as a leader, maybe some recordings including him. But i remember there are recordings "out there", even one with a certain title "CB sings" or something like that. But this is more a guess, because i can't proove this with my "tools" behind me.

'tis Baker! Point for the Bassman! :applause:

Puh, what is that? Probabely a waltz, that's clear. And i think not a classical work ??? Like #1 it could be film-music ?? No guess and, sorry, not a fav for me.

:rofl: There's that word again! I love it! Yeah, it's a waltz, but no points for that! :g

Ahhhh, this is interesting, nice mood (but why those strings ??? Aaaargh! sorry, forgive me) and fine playing saxes. very sharp "throw-ins" near the beginning, but the strings are much to loud and "unnecessary", aahhh fade out.... :w:eye:

Nothing to apologize for! You either dig it or you don't, and you're certainly not the first not to dig this tune!

The next tune is a moody one, the theme sounds familiar.... but listen to this relaxed mood, wow ! And this elegant fine sound of the guitar, alone this is it worth to listen to this tune. I have not the slightest idea, but this is a real little diamond. I get some "Gänsehaut" (don't know an english word for that.... it is the german word for the feeling, when your skin starts to "prickle" as a reaction to a very fine moody situation, not fear, the opposite! Excitement!.... can you follow me??? )

Follow you? Hell, I'm thinking of moving to Germany to follow both you AND Mikeweil around as a whiny roadie! (I am German by descent, and can kinda sorta understand the language. At least I know how order bier over there!)

Anyway, you described the mood perfectly for this song! The opening statement of this tune does that for me every time!

Hmmm, this one is not that a diamond in comparison to #8 (well, for me....). It is a fine tune anyway, but not that "big" fascinating. It has an elegant appearance, but it has a bit "easy listening" ... i should give this tune a second try after a break.... There is somewhat "strange" about the drumming... maybe i know him, but not in this environment. I will think about this tune during my break....

Oh, I'm sure you know the drummer!

.... I'll be back .... :rhappy:

I'm looking forward to it! :tup

Edited by Big Al

... here we are.... big break, i presume ? :rolleyes:

Nice answers to my comments... i will return later, but at first..... the missing #s:

#9 again:

Hmmm, i know this drummer, yes it seems .... heavy equipment, i imagine a big bassdrum .... (should i say "Puh!" ??? No, that wouldn't fit.... it's more a "gggrrrrrrr" to myself :D ), but no "Der Groschen ist gefallen" :lol: for me (for not-germans: it means by word "The penny droped...", the meaning is here, that someone understands something). Therefore ... i have to take my "slab-on the-forehead" :g

#10:

This tune is familiar, it is "road song" and it is known as a Wes M. tune, but this is not him, and it is not the "normal" version with strings. No idea, who this is. Heavy bass-playing, too. Are there really two guitar-players or is this a overdub?

#11:

What a start.... and then a nice swinging tune, familiar sound indeed. It is not that "new" i believe and here we have some "Gentlemen of Jazz" playing. The piano-player... could it be Ellington ? Well the accompany-music during the trumpet solo reminds me very strong to Ellington-style. This is all, what i can do here.

#12:

There is no chance for me, the tune and the recording has some age... but not in the range of young Mr. Bassman's knowledge, this is not a big band ! :g

Now, here is a more funky tune, very pleasant tune, but here i have to "drop the sails", no guess. One funny idea... there is a bit "James Brown" in this tune, this rhythm..... but only an idea...

Well, here we have some nice vibes & Rhodes, percussion, bass and drums. I would date this to the late 60ties or early 70ties but i can't get any guesses out of that nice tune. Remarkable bass-work here, seems to be an electric bass ?

Finally, here we have the last tune on this disk and i have a strong feeling, that i know the piano-player, this must be "Mr. Peanuts" (Vince G.), i presume ? I don't have this recording, so no guess on the title, it is not on my CD's. But i have heard this (or might have heard this), this is really typical for his work for the Charles M. Schulz-pictures. And it is taken from LP...

Here we have a quartett, not a trio (I only have some trio work) but i think it is Eddie Duran on guitar.

At least, I've done some "google-ing", and.... here we go : http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?...;cart=681552344

The last track....

a fine ending track for a fine BFT !

Well.... now waiting for the unveilment :excited:

with regards

Mr. Bassman

Edited by Mr. Bassman

Follow you? Hell, I'm thinking of moving to Germany to follow both you AND Mikeweil around as a whiny roadie! (I am German by descent, and can kinda sorta understand the language. At least I know how order bier over there!)

You have no idea what you're up to ..... at least you'll get to hear some good music on the bus, as long as our leader is not singing Kurdish songs allatime ... :winky:

#9 again:

Hmmm, i know this drummer, yes it seems .... heavy equipment, i imagine a big bassdrum .... (should i say "Puh!" ??? No, that wouldn't fit.... it's more a "gggrrrrrrr" to myself :D ), but no "Der Groschen ist gefallen" :lol: for me (for not-germans: it means by word "The penny droped...", the meaning is here, that someone understands something). Therefore ... i have to take my "slab-on the-forehead" :g

One of these days, I must see what this "slab on the forehead" looks like; maybe it's like sleepin' with da fishies? :g Or, as we say here in the States (as we slap ourselves on the forehead), "D'OH!!!" :D

#10:

This tune is familiar, it is "road song" and it is known as a Wes M. tune, but this is not him, and it is not the "normal" version with strings. No idea, who this is. Heavy bass-playing, too. Are there really two guitar-players or is this a overdub?

Yes, there are two guitar players on this recording.

I am really surprised no one's gotten this. I kinda figured more people had this album!

#11:

What a start.... and then a nice swinging tune, familiar sound indeed. It is not that "new" i believe and here we have some "Gentlemen of Jazz" playing. The piano-player... could it be Ellington ? Well the accompany-music during the trumpet solo reminds me very strong to Ellington-style. This is all, what i can do here.

Well done, though: it is Ellington at the keys along with one of his longtime "Gentlemen of Jazz" on the alto!

Now, here is a more funky tune, very pleasant tune, but here i have to "drop the sails", no guess. One funny idea... there is a bit "James Brown" in this tune, this rhythm..... but only an idea...

Drat! I really thought I could slip JB by everyone, but alas I was wrong! Maybe I need a slab on the forehead! :lol:

Well, here we have some nice vibes & Rhodes, percussion, bass and drums. I would date this to the late 60ties or early 70ties but i can't get any guesses out of that nice tune. Remarkable bass-work here, seems to be an electric bass ?

Date range is correct and it is definitely an electric bass!

Finally, here we have the last tune on this disk and i have a strong feeling, that i know the piano-player, this must be "Mr. Peanuts" (Vince G.), i presume ? I don't have this recording, so no guess on the title, it is not on my CD's. But i have heard this (or might have heard this), this is really typical for his work for the Charles M. Schulz-pictures. And it is taken from LP...

Here we have a quartett, not a trio (I only have some trio work) but i think it is Eddie Duran on guitar.

At least, I've done some "google-ing", and.... here we go : http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?...;cart=681552344

The last track....

Correct all around! Way to go in identifying the guitar player!

a fine ending track for a fine BFT !

Precisely the effect I was hoping for! Once again, I greatly enjoyed your comments!

Edited by Big Al

CRUD!!! I can't believe I forgot to comment on Ubu's wonderful comments! Sorry, man!

#1 He he, Eddie who - lovely stuff, got this of course! Too bad most of the jazz listeners are so dreadfully serious as to not take Eddie for full and give him at least part of the recognition he deserved.

He definitely has a sound that is unmistakeable, that's for sure!

#2 Hm, nice... what's this? I've got trouble pinning down the time frame for this one. Trumpet is nice, lyrical, not a big sound, but good ideas. "Blue Moon", or a close take of it. Tenor has heard some Coltrane (piano post-Tyner?), that whole ostinato thing going on is pure Coltrane, roughly 1960, I'd say, Atlantic era, before it started getting all too wild... the arrangements aren't that great here, but there's something to this performance I like. Might well be something I have, in the end... is this a Tyner date? Can't be Woody Shaw? Have to repeat to hear the trumpet again! Good one, but not something I'd just put on in the background... trumpet is good!

Y'know, I would've never equated this arrangement with a Trane arrangement, but I guess this isn't that far removed from the modal vamp of a "My Favorite Things." Interesting call!

#3 Hmmm, rather nice, isn't it? An elderly chap, I assume... can't pin him down, but I like him, and I assume I should know him... oh wait, is this Chet? Very touching performance!

Yes it is, and yes it is! :tup

#4 "Mean to Me" - sweet, ain't it? I wonder what it would sound without a mute? More Little Jazz-ish? Guitar has a nice sparse sound. Like it that there's no piano, very uncluttered, minimalist accompaniment. Lovely!

Once again, it ain't Sweets, but I agree with your sentiment!

#8 Flowery, but somehow I like this one! Nice support from the rhythm section, too. I'm not that great in identifying guitar players... the sound's too lush for Farlow, I think, Johnny Smith maybe? But then I've only got very few of his recordings... hm, repeating this one! Ah hell, sure, this is from one of the Roost sessions Smith did with Stan Getz (the little sax backing line just after the solo gave it away for me).

HA! Fooled someone else with the sax player! :g

#10 Hm, what's that tune again? A Wes Montgomery one, no? Like this. Ugly bass sound, though...

I figured I'd get some grief about that bass sound.

#11 Hodges again, and lovely as always! Is this from "Back to Back" with Duke and Sweets? Time to dig that one up again! Would be Les Spann on guitar then, and Jo Jones... great one!

Not from that album, but from the same session. Good call!

Thanks a lot, Big Al! I enjoyed the ride quite some! (more so disc 1 though, to be honest!)

That seems to be the consensus, but that's alright with me. You liked it, and that's pretty much all I was hoping for! :tup

CRUD!!! I can't believe I forgot to comment on Ubu's wonderful comments! Sorry, man!

I was wondering... but then I thought I didn't say anything that interesting, so I guess you just skipped that :g

Once again, it ain't Sweets, but I agree with your sentiment!

well, Little Jazz would be Roy... but then I didn't play it again, so I don't know more than I did when posting this...

HA! Fooled someone else with the sax player! :g

Yeah, I saw that... so it's the Vice Pres? Or did Smith do other sessions with sax players? I don't have anything but the Getz tracks on Getz' Roost set and the one Verve Elite disc, still need the Mosaic some day... ah, yes, I have one of the Roost albums with backing guitar, bass and drums, too (part of the Mosaic, but it cost almost nothing...)

Not from that album, but from the same session. Good call!

Ah, glad to hear that, so it's from "Side by Side"... I have that one, too, but "Back to Back" is a long-owned, much-loved one, and I was somehow wondering if really I couldn't remember this one...

Standard "I haven't read, yet," disclaimer.

Track #1: Eeesh... reminds me of Wednesday afternoons visiting my grandmother when I was little. That said, I wish *my* varitone would generate a tone that clean! I'd guess Eddie Harris, but sounds too stiff and... well, lame, to be Eddie. I take that back, the end makes me certain that it's Eddie... bad Eddie, but Eddie.

Track #2: Everything about the last one that didn't work, does about this. I think it's Freddie. First impressions on the tenor is that it's Joe Henderson. As the swing feel starts, I'm leaning Mobley, but too much Coltrane influence for me to be confident... I'll stick with Joe, but I'm not all that confident. This one is tough. I think that' McCoy on piano, but I'm hearing some Cedar Walton in there... almost like Walton playing like McCoy, but the phrasing is *very* McCoy. I love this tune, though. The arrangement seems a little incomplete in terms of harmonies, but that bari is knocking me out. This reminds me a bit of Tolliver's PLIGHT, only earlier; the less harmonically complex portions of the arrangement sound like some of Horace Silver's larger groups to my ear. Me likey. No idea on the drummer, though the sound is straight Blue Note.

Track #3: I say that's my boy Chet. For every reason in the world, I should NOT like his singing, but I just can't get enough of it. Who wrote the lyrics, Chauncey Gardner? :P Recording is uber-compressed... almost ECM-ish. Don't care for the rhythm section at all -- they bring nothing.

Track #4: Nice sound. Clean, happy feel. I think it's an older player I'm less familiar with, but there's something Miles-like about the attack. I'll go with a crazy guess and say Ira Sullivan. Bass seems very hot (on the phones), and the mix in general is heavily weighted to the right channel. I know the drummer, but can't place him. Beautiful muted tone on the trumpet.

Track #5: Recording is WAAAY too hot. Not doing it for me... putting me right to sleep. This overly compressed recording style is a huge turn-off. I'll give the guitarist credit for not drowning himself in effects. This reminds me of Art Farmer's very commercial period in the late 70s, minus the underlying soul that AF brought to the table.

Track #6: Big Al, you're killing me! What happened to Jimmy Jones?! ;) Not sure I can make it through this one. No idea.

Track #7: My first impression is Des. It's hard to say because he's so buried in the mix. Maybe Herb Geller? You're killin' me brother... I'll reiterate, it reminds me of those afternoons at my grandmother's house in the 70s... Muzak piped in from atop Mount Washington. Makes me want to check the sharpness of the razors in the medicine chest. ;)

Track #8: Better feel right off the bat. West Coaster, but a good one. I don't think Getz -- meatier tone to me -- but I like him. No idea on the guitar. Man... I'm sucking big time on disc 2.

Track #9: Another heavily compressed recording. Right off the bat, the tenor has a modern, "recordable" sound. I'm seeing a glossy cover with a pretty picture on the front. This isn't reaching me a bit. This falls into that category of Jazz that I find really frustrates me. I'd guess Marlon Jordan. It's part Miles, part Kenny Wheeler, and I'd much rather hear either of *them*. Man... this left me really cold.

Track #10: Road Song. Sounds like Wes himself (or maybe Benson). Billy Higgins on drums. It's very lounge-y, but I dig it nonetheless. Sounds flashier than Wes, I'm starting to lean more toward Benson (Higgins helps that decision). Don't care for the bass, a bit.

Track #11: Rabbit. Cootie Williams? No idea on the guitar. Sounds like maybe a Strayhorn tune. Sam Woodyard. By association, I'll say Jimmy Woode on bass. If that's not Ellington on piano, it's an uncanny imitation. HEHEheheh! Love that banging at both ends of the piano. HEEEEheheh! Glad to hear this come back into my neighborhood. :D

Track #12: No clue. I'd guess Fats Waller on piano. I hear tones of Ellington and Fatha Hines, but not the balls of either.

Track #13: I think it's Fred Wesley. Why does the bone work so damned well in this stuff? Sounds like the real guys revisiting what they once did. It's real, but lacks the grit of the original.

Track #14: Always was a sucker for the Rhodes. Makes me want to watch movies with Lalo Shiffrin sound tracks. :D Still can't get past the electric bass, though. I'm going to go crazy here and guess Cedar Walton. The ideas seem too grounded in the tradition to be somebody like Chick Corea to me. I'm trying to hear the lines as they'd sound on acoustic, and I keep coming back to Cedar. No idea who else we're dealing with. Maybe Guillerme Franco on percussion? Hope I'm not out-thinking myself, here.

Track #15: The piano seems very Bill Evans influenced to me, but the writing is very Vince Guiraldi. I'll go with Vince. Not sure who the guitarist is.

Man... disc 2 was a bitch.

System crash & reliance on borrowed machines meant no at leisure download/preview/review of the 2nd half of BFT 2. Big Al was nice enough to mail me the discs, which I literally just recieved. I'm a bit frazzled now, but I got access, so now, here we go on to Part Two of Disc Two:

TRACK EIGHT: Mid 50s, I'd guess...Mundell Lowe, Johnny Smith, Mary Osborne, one of those real "guitarristic" guitarists...tenor player...waaaay familiar... Prez-intuitive, very derivative but still personal, a nice feat...kinda like earlier Allan Eager...damn, I can't call the name, but when you tell me I'll know ;)

Nice enough, a bit snoozy these days, but no doubt "cozy" in its own, and that counts.

TRACK NINE - Drummer seems to be pulling from Chico Hamilton's conceptual bag, whereas the tune sounds like yet another variant on Water Babies-era Miles (and if that album had never been released, would we still have this song?), then it goes briefly into the Poinciana bag... Trumpeter is really copping Miles...Eddie Henderson? Nah, Eddie had moved beyond that by the time this was recorded....one of the "Young Lions" type players, probably...Wallace Roney? Hey, wait, for a quick minute behind the piano solo, I heard Tony, and then it all started sounding like Tony. Yeah, that's Tony, unmistakeably....now ;) Billy Pierce...never really worked for me, that guy....excellent musician, though, no dis meant.

So, Tony's 80s band, a good one, but with material and performances more to my liking than this one. But - it makes the Water Babies thing more sensible, and even "valid", whatever that means.

TRACK TEN - "Road Song", of course. Flabbyass out of tune Ron Carter on bass? He's gotta know better, if this is him, and if it ain't him, then the producer should've intervened & TCBed. Getting into it, I don't hink it is. One guitar overdubbed, or two, or who cares? This is the kind of "retro" playing that really irks me...no sense of time or place other than "classic jazz", it's not really jazz, it's....jazz about jazz. And that bassist, god bless him, keeps "interacting" with two/three other guys who just sit there and read off the time capsule. Frustrating all the way around for me, but I guess there's a market.

TRACK ELEVEN - Rabbit, and more from that Columbia (sounding) studio...what is this "Stompy Jones"? Sweets? Yeah, this shit is real, in-time/realtime life coming out as music. Sure, there's history, personal & collective, but it's their, not somebody else's, and they don't have to "think about what it must've been like"....dig the guitarist....Jo Jones on drums? Jimmy Jones on piano? Doesn't sound percussive enough to be Duke...man, this could go on forever right where it is and never get old....that right there is a big difference between self-real and "tribute to"...hell yeah... "it's" over, can't bring it back, but as long as we got records like this, we don't need to, we can make our own our own way. Again, HELL YEAH.

TRACK TWELVE - I should know this, but the specifics of this era are not my forte. But I know enough to say that this ain't in no way "average" playing...ok, is that Honeyboy Cedric? Fats? HOLY SHIT - LISTEN TO THE TEMPO @ 1:29 WTF WAS THAT ALL ABOUT? Wow... very weird...was this an alternate take or something...oh well, hey, still...gotta give it up!

TRACK THIRTEEN - Fred Wesley. Unmistakable. Stronly urge reading his autobiography btw. Sounds recent, not vintage, but it's still got that JB's groove solid down. But I'd recommend checking out Hell if you haven't already, especially the sidelong "Papa Don't Take No Mess". That's some crazyass shit right there. But this is good too, damn good.

TRACK FOURTEEN - Bobby?...later on, maybe even a Columbia side (those were and still are overlooked/underrated, imo). Well, maybe not Bobby, Rhodes solos first...me, I love the Rhodes, not as a "substitute" for a "real" piano, but as a thing unto itself. It's a real treat hearing all the "dance underground" shit that loves them some Rhodes too...man, this is some happening shit! Rhythm section is bouncing all off of each other real nicely...This ain't Hampton Hawes by any chance is it? Definitely not a Bobby side, but sounds like a tune he could have/would have played. I dig this!

TRACK FIFTEEN - Charlie Brown music? Kinda like "Lush Life" only with mathematical displacement of the root movements, if you know what I mean (and if you don't, hell, don't sweat it, it's tongue in cheek any ways...sort of)...nice, not gonna be on my main menu or anything (at least not right now), but it sure is nice.

BIG KUDOS to Al for the above and beyond in getting me this material on his own dime and time, and for also including #55 as well. What a guy!

And a fine collection of music as well. Thanks!

I guess things do have a way of working themselves out. I've been meaning to post the answers to this disc since I finished the first disc, and then life gets in the way as it usually does, and here we are. Thankfully, JSngry was able to post his usual terrific insights, so here we go again!

TRACK EIGHT: Mid 50s, I'd guess...Mundell Lowe, Johnny Smith, Mary Osborne, one of those real "guitarristic" guitarists...tenor player...waaaay familiar... Prez-intuitive, very derivative but still personal, a nice feat...kinda like earlier Allan Eager...damn, I can't call the name, but when you tell me I'll know ;)

Nice enough, a bit snoozy these days, but no doubt "cozy" in its own, and that counts.

You named the guitarist. "Cozy:" I never thought about it before, but that's a perfect word to describe this tune!

TRACK NINE - Drummer seems to be pulling from Chico Hamilton's conceptual bag, whereas the tune sounds like yet another variant on Water Babies-era Miles (and if that album had never been released, would we still have this song?), then it goes briefly into the Poinciana bag... Trumpeter is really copping Miles...Eddie Henderson? Nah, Eddie had moved beyond that by the time this was recorded....one of the "Young Lions" type players, probably...Wallace Roney? Hey, wait, for a quick minute behind the piano solo, I heard Tony, and then it all started sounding like Tony. Yeah, that's Tony, unmistakeably....now ;) Billy Pierce...never really worked for me, that guy....excellent musician, though, no dis meant.

So, Tony's 80s band, a good one, but with material and performances more to my liking than this one. But - it makes the Water Babies thing more sensible, and even "valid", whatever that means.

It means you figured it out! Hafta re-check out WB sometime soon! Oddly enough, they did do a version of "Poinciana" which was my other choice from this band for this BFT.

TRACK TEN - "Road Song", of course. Flabbyass out of tune Ron Carter on bass? He's gotta know better, if this is him, and if it ain't him, then the producer should've intervened & TCBed. Getting into it, I don't hink it is. One guitar overdubbed, or two, or who cares? This is the kind of "retro" playing that really irks me...no sense of time or place other than "classic jazz", it's not really jazz, it's....jazz about jazz. And that bassist, god bless him, keeps "interacting" with two/three other guys who just sit there and read off the time capsule. Frustrating all the way around for me, but I guess there's a market.

I am truly TRULY amazed that no one has figured this one out (title notwithstanding). I thought the bassist would've been immediately recognizable (it ain't Ron Carter), if not the lead guitar player. Wonders never cease, as the tracks with which I on planned faking everyone out are the ones everyone nails, and vice versa!

TRACK ELEVEN - Rabbit, and more from that Columbia (sounding) studio...what is this "Stompy Jones"? Sweets? Yeah, this shit is real, in-time/realtime life coming out as music. Sure, there's history, personal & collective, but it's their, not somebody else's, and they don't have to "think about what it must've been like"....dig the guitarist....Jo Jones on drums? Jimmy Jones on piano? Doesn't sound percussive enough to be Duke...man, this could go on forever right where it is and never get old....that right there is a big difference between self-real and "tribute to"...hell yeah... "it's" over, can't bring it back, but as long as we got records like this, we don't need to, we can make our own our own way. Again, HELL YEAH.

Couldn't've said it better! You identified everyone except the piano player. And oh yeah: HELL YEAH indeed! :tup

TRACK TWELVE - I should know this, but the specifics of this era are not my forte. But I know enough to say that this ain't in no way "average" playing...ok, is that Honeyboy Cedric? Fats? HOLY SHIT - LISTEN TO THE TEMPO @ 1:29 WTF WAS THAT ALL ABOUT? Wow... very weird...was this an alternate take or something...oh well, hey, still...gotta give it up!

I never noticed that until now. I don't think it's the recording: it sounds like my turntable hiccuping, as it is wont to do sometimes. Damn! Now I gotta go back and re-do the whole CD from whence this track came! Whyd'ya have to go and point that out now??? :g

TRACK THIRTEEN - Fred Wesley. Unmistakable. Stronly urge reading his autobiography btw. Sounds recent, not vintage, but it's still got that JB's groove solid down. But I'd recommend checking out Hell if you haven't already, especially the sidelong "Papa Don't Take No Mess". That's some crazyass shit right there. But this is good too, damn good.

"Peas, Fred!" ;)

TRACK FOURTEEN - Bobby?...later on, maybe even a Columbia side (those were and still are overlooked/underrated, imo). Well, maybe not Bobby, Rhodes solos first...me, I love the Rhodes, not as a "substitute" for a "real" piano, but as a thing unto itself. It's a real treat hearing all the "dance underground" shit that loves them some Rhodes too...man, this is some happening shit! Rhythm section is bouncing all off of each other real nicely...This ain't Hampton Hawes by any chance is it? Definitely not a Bobby side, but sounds like a tune he could have/would have played. I dig this!

Nope, not Bobby, not Hamp. Did Hamp ever do any Rhodes albums? Now THAT'S something I'd like to hear!

TRACK FIFTEEN - Charlie Brown music? Kinda like "Lush Life" only with mathematical displacement of the root movements, if you know what I mean (and if you don't, hell, don't sweat it, it's tongue in cheek any ways...sort of)...nice, not gonna be on my main menu or anything (at least not right now), but it sure is nice.

I HAFC™ what that meant, but I think it means that the chords go back and forth between major and minor within the same bar/line? Hell, I don't know! All's I know's I agree with you: sure is nice!

BIG KUDOS to Al for the above and beyond in getting me this material on his own dime and time, and for also including #55 as well. What a guy!

And a fine collection of music as well. Thanks!

Anytime, my friend! Sorry it took a little longer than I wanted it to, but at least it got there and now I can't wait to see what you have to say about #55, which is also a very fine collection of music! :tup

BFT54 disc 2

First, I’ve got to apologise for taking so long to get around to this disc. Only excuse is that I’ve bought so much new stuff in the past weeks that I’ve been all chonked up with listening to newies.

Anyway, here we go – at least, I don’t have to be shy about posting any answers I happen to know.

Part 1

1 Slightly Latin lilt with strings under a pretty alto player – sounds like it was recorded in the late sixties. Don’t know the tune. I think I’ve heard this alto player before, especially when he does down the bottom, but can’t find a name. The little quote at the end from “Goin’ out of my head” is a nice touch. This sounds like something Creed Taylor might have produced at Verve.

2 This is Blue Mitchell – a track from “Heads up”. “Togetherness”.

3 This is so quiet, even with my ear close to the laptop’s speakers, I’m making such an effort to hear it that I can’t hear it. I’d guess Joe Mooney. Ah, I can hear the trumpet player OK. But I don’t recognise him. Nor the pianist. Both are nice. Strange record… the singer sounds so uncertain (or maybe that’s the volume) while the musicians are positive. Maybe this is a singer who isn’t usually associated with jazz – like that pop singer who was on a Teddy Edwards album in the late eighties. Or maybe it’s a jazz musician who doesn’t usually sing – Kenny Burrell maybe?

4 “Mean to me” Nat Adderley, from “Work song”.

5 Nice little bossa nova from a guitarist who I’m sure I’ve never heard before. I like the groove the drummer is putting down; it’s kind of near to “Maiden voyage”. And here comes a trumpet player with a very pretty solo. I don’t think I’ve heard this guy before. No ideas, but very pleasant.

6 Something from a film background? But not a car chase – damn! “Shaft”?

7 This is nearly film music, too, but the alto solo takes it out of that sphere. But the Mantovani strings are overwhelming at the end.

8 “Too late now” by a swinging guitarist-led band. Oh and here comes a tenor player I should know. Although it’s short, this one is really all there – everything it needs to be.

9 This really not getting to me. Can I hear Freddie Hubbard in the ensemble? Now he’s soloing, I don’t think it’s him, just someone like him, but less forthright. Piano player could be someone like Cedar Walton. I don’t listen to much music like this and this track really makes it clear why.

10 Wes – “Road song”. This sounds like it’s the version from his album of the same name – certainly can’t hear JOS in here. But I also can’t hear the massed strings of Klaus Ogerman or whoever did that album – but it IS a bit quiet. No I think it’s a small band. So it’s someone doing a tribute to Wes. And when he starts soloing, it’s clear he’s not Wes. Ha! And there’s a great Grant Green lick, well placed, well sustained, at just over 2 mins, that Wes wouldn’t have done. And more. This is a guy who likes GG too! So, let’s guess Peter Bernstein. I like this, but.

11 Johnny Hodges – is he just breezing along with the breeze? That’s Duke Ellington on piano. Don’t know the trumpet player – well, I almost certainly do, but can’t dredge up a name. And a guitarist – that guy who wrote “Gemini”, whatever his name is. Oh and Duke’s piano playing ALWAYS kills me when he’s doing this sort of thing. The trumpet player’s second solo is a blast; I don’t know his work well, but I’ll guess Roy Eldridge. Wunnerful!!

Is this from the LP “Side by side”?

12 Fats Waller? Sometimes the tune sounds like it’s “Honeysuckle Rose”, then it goes off into something else. I guess he’s not playing with his usual band here.

13 That JBs beat! Fred Wesley!!!!! I’m sure I’ve got this, but, without the intro/hook, well, they do sound a lot alike. I’m going to stick my neck out and say these are the solos from “Funky drummer” which I think you only got on the album “In the jungle groove”. Nicely faded! After going out for a fag, I decided it must be one of the several versions of either “Pass the peas” or “Hot pants”.

14 A Walter Bishop tune. Is it “Philadelphia bright”? (Don’t think so.) I haven’t got this recording, which sounds like something he did for Muse in the late seventies. I think Bish was the best pianist on the electric piano – I always hear his lines clearly. With most, what you gets is a tinkly kind of stuff that doesn’t have a melodic thrust (to my ears). Oooweeebaby!

15 That pianist is effin’ RAVISHIN’!!! I almost recognise him. Is this just piano/guitar/bass? I love this cut! I’m looking forward to hearing who this is…

Definitely regret not giving this a go beforehand. Nice bunch of stuff, including a few old mates. Thanks.

MG

Now I've read the thread...

BFT54 disc 2

First, I’ve got to apologise for taking so long to get around to this disc. Only excuse is that I’ve bought so much new stuff in the past weeks that I’ve been all chonked up with listening to newies.

Anyway, here we go – at least, I don’t have to be shy about posting any answers I happen to know.

Part 1

1 Slightly Latin lilt with strings under a pretty alto player – sounds like it was recorded in the late sixties. Don’t know the tune. I think I’ve heard this alto player before, especially when he does down the bottom, but can’t find a name. The little quote at the end from “Goin’ out of my head” is a nice touch. This sounds like something Creed Taylor might have produced at Verve.

Ahhhh! Eddie Harris alway sounds not like a tenor player to me. I like what he plays, but usually not how he sounds. Oh well...

3 This is so quiet, even with my ear close to the laptop’s speakers, I’m making such an effort to hear it that I can’t hear it. I’d guess Joe Mooney. Ah, I can hear the trumpet player OK. But I don’t recognise him. Nor the pianist. Both are nice. Strange record… the singer sounds so uncertain (or maybe that’s the volume) while the musicians are positive. Maybe this is a singer who isn’t usually associated with jazz – like that pop singer who was on a Teddy Edwards album in the late eighties. Or maybe it’s a jazz musician who doesn’t usually sing – Kenny Burrell maybe?

Oh. Well, I got the non-vocalist bit, as a halfway house.

5 Nice little bossa nova from a guitarist who I’m sure I’ve never heard before. I like the groove the drummer is putting down; it’s kind of near to “Maiden voyage”. And here comes a trumpet player with a very pretty solo. I don’t think I’ve heard this guy before. No ideas, but very pleasant.

6 Something from a film background? But not a car chase – damn! “Shaft”?

7 This is nearly film music, too, but the alto solo takes it out of that sphere. But the Mantovani strings are overwhelming at the end.

Never thought of Paul Desmond. Pity bout the strings at the end. Well, pity it's Sebesky - I really don't like much of his stuff.

8 “Too late now” by a swinging guitarist-led band. Oh and here comes a tenor player I should know. Although it’s short, this one is really all there – everything it needs to be.

Surprised by this. Didn't think of Smith or Quinichette - not that I've heard much of either. Lessons to be learned there.

9 This really not getting to me. Can I hear Freddie Hubbard in the ensemble? Now he’s soloing, I don’t think it’s him, just someone like him, but less forthright. Piano player could be someone like Cedar Walton. I don’t listen to much music like this and this track really makes it clear why.

Now I know what this is, I just want to say, "with knobs on".

10 Wes – “Road song”. This sounds like it’s the version from his album of the same name – certainly can’t hear JOS in here. But I also can’t hear the massed strings of Klaus Ogerman or whoever did that album – but it IS a bit quiet. No I think it’s a small band. So it’s someone doing a tribute to Wes. And when he starts soloing, it’s clear he’s not Wes. Ha! And there’s a great Grant Green lick, well placed, well sustained, at just over 2 mins, that Wes wouldn’t have done. And more. This is a guy who likes GG too! So, let’s guess Peter Bernstein. I like this, but.

I don't have any more ideas about who this is - or these are.

11 Johnny Hodges – is he just breezing along with the breeze? That’s Duke Ellington on piano. Don’t know the trumpet player – well, I almost certainly do, but can’t dredge up a name. And a guitarist – that guy who wrote “Gemini”, whatever his name is. Oh and Duke’s piano playing ALWAYS kills me when he’s doing this sort of thing. The trumpet player’s second solo is a blast; I don’t know his work well, but I’ll guess Roy Eldridge. Wunnerful!!

Is this from the LP “Side by side”?

Ah, so it's Sweets.

12 Fats Waller? Sometimes the tune sounds like it’s “Honeysuckle Rose”, then it goes off into something else. I guess he’s not playing with his usual band here.

Oh, he was, was he?

13 That JBs beat! Fred Wesley!!!!! I’m sure I’ve got this, but, without the intro/hook, well, they do sound a lot alike. I’m going to stick my neck out and say these are the solos from “Funky drummer” which I think you only got on the album “In the jungle groove”. Nicely faded! After going out for a fag, I decided it must be one of the several versions of either “Pass the peas” or “Hot pants”.

"Pass the peas", then. Interested to know if it's any of the versions I've got.

14 A Walter Bishop tune. Is it “Philadelphia bright”? (Don’t think so.) I haven’t got this recording, which sounds like something he did for Muse in the late seventies. I think Bish was the best pianist on the electric piano – I always hear his lines clearly. With most, what you gets is a tinkly kind of stuff that doesn’t have a melodic thrust (to my ears). Oooweeebaby!

Kenny Barron does surprise me! More lessons to be learned here.

15 That pianist is effin’ RAVISHIN’!!! I almost recognise him. Is this just piano/guitar/bass? I love this cut! I’m looking forward to hearing who this is…

Ah, Vince - no wonder I almost recognised him - used to have a few of his albums in the sixties.

Definitely regret not giving this a go beforehand. Nice bunch of stuff, including a few old mates. Thanks.

MG

Hope I haven't got any of the bold bits mixed up, or this post will look crazy.

MG

Now I've read the thread...

BFT54 disc 2

Part 1

Ahhhh! Eddie Harris alway sounds not like a tenor player to me. I like what he plays, but usually not how he sounds. Oh well...

That, and you're the next person to hear that "Goin' Out of My Head" quote!

:tup

"Maiden Voyage!" Woulda never thought of that, but now that you mention it, I can hear it, too!

THIS is why I love the BFTs!

Never thought of Paul Desmond. Pity bout the strings at the end. Well, pity it's Sebesky - I really don't like much of his stuff.

Wow, I always figured Desmond had the most recognizable alto sound this side of Rabbit! I can understand folks not digging Sebesky, but I dig a lot of his stuff, as long he shows restraint. IMO, this album is a stellar example of restraint.

Gotta break up the post again, darn quote count. :g