The Basso Valdambrini Sextet

Dave James

Anyone familiar with this group? I've purchased two of their CD's from Dusty Groove within the last few months and I must say, they are shockingly good. Not that Italy is necessarily bereft of a solid jazz history, but this is as jammed up and jelly tight a band as you're likely to find without regard to point of origin. Two Z snaps for these guys. As former Wall Street Journal movie critic Joe Bob Briggs used to say, "Check it out."

Up over and out.

Lots of good players over here. Enrico Rava is probably the better known, but have a look at italian jazz record labels like Red Records or CamJazz. Some of the cats recorded for french labels like Label Blue.

About earlier stuff like Basso Valdambrini Sextet, what to say? Brilliant? Don't forget Giovanni Tommaso and Massimo Urbani in your searching for spaghetti jazz :)

Edited by porcy62

Don't forget that jazz was basically forbidden during Mussolini's regime, so V-discs (and Lucky Strike and Camel :D ) played a big part in the musical rebirth of the country. As long as we discovered Faulkner we got Ellington, Basie and Satchmo. Italian musicans were eager for jazz and all the new stuff coming from America after years of cultural self embargo.

There are some good books about it, in italian, sorry.

Being an italian jazz buff myself, told ya Porcy my main grief with your country is your political and football etablishment, i would also suggest the fine works of Gianluigi Trovesi, mostly his work on the label Soul Note.

Also investigate recordings by the georgous sounding clarinetist Gabriele Mirabassi.

Among younger players, pianist Stefano Bollani is making a fine name by himself.

By the way my favourite jazz gig of all time showcased the collective Italian Instabile Orchestra, record wise their best is Skies of Europe, which is a tip to the hat to Skies of America, is available on ECM.

Edited by Van Basten II

Guest Bill Barton

...By the way my favourite jazz gig of all time showcased the collective Italian Instabile Orchestra, record wise their best is Skies of Europe, which is a tip to the hat to Skies of America, is available on ECM.

They're probably at the top of my "must hear live" list. Where did you hear them? In Montreal? I recently acquired the disc they made with Cecil Taylor, The Owner of the River Bank on Enja/Justin Time, but haven't had a chance to listen yet.

...By the way my favourite jazz gig of all time showcased the collective Italian Instabile Orchestra, record wise their best is Skies of Europe, which is a tip to the hat to Skies of America, is available on ECM.

They're probably at the top of my "must hear live" list. Where did you hear them? In Montreal? I recently acquired the disc they made with Cecil Taylor, The Owner of the River Bank on Enja/Justin Time, but haven't had a chance to listen yet.

Yep in 2000, probably the greatest jazz evening of my life, i'll talk about it in another thread. i bought the one with Cecil Taylor, listened to it once and was dissapointed, did not feel they really gelled together well.

To get back to IIA, what set them apart from any other jazz gig i witnessed over the years besides obviously the outstanding composition and the musicianship was their humour, their theatricals and their great showmanship.

Yep in 2000, probably the greatest jazz evening of my life, i'll talk about it in another thread. i bought the one with Cecil Taylor, listened to it once and was dissapointed, did not feel they really gelled together well.

Yeah, I thought it was okay and had some nice moments of "density," but ultimately not a successful endeavor.

Don't forget that jazz was basically forbidden during Mussolini's regime

Oh yeah? The RIVIERA JAZZ reissue label seems to think differently and seems to have plenty of documentary evidence to prove it. Google it up some time. ;)

I mean that the cultural policy of fascist regime was oriented to rediscover and promote our Roman Empire and Italian Renessaince heritage instead of "negro" music. I know that some good music were played and recorded, Gorni Kramer was the most famous, but, for sure Roma and Milano weren't Paris.

BTW read the pages you suggest :cool:

'In 1942 - 1943, while northern Italy was undergoing World War II bombings, although Benito Mussolini had prohibited playing and listening to jazz, some young Italian musicians decided to record "pure" jazz. They recorded, under very difficult conditions, many jazz standards which they gave Italian titles so as to disguise the true origin. The names of the authors were also camouflaged with Italian names. These classics are published on CD for the first time.'

http://www.rivierajazz.it/?q=en/node/21

Edited by porcy62

'In 1942 - 1943, while northern Italy was undergoing World War II bombings, although Benito Mussolini had prohibited playing and listening to jazz, some young Italian musicians decided to record "pure" jazz. They recorded, under very difficult conditions, many jazz standards which they gave Italian titles so as to disguise the true origin. The names of the authors were also camouflaged with Italian names. These classics are published on CD for the first time.'

I happen to have that CD (and quite a few others from that series) and it's nice listening, and the fact that jazz was prohibited in WARTIME Central Europe (wherever the axis powers were present) is obvious but apparently (luckily) never went to the extremes of a 100% "blackout" in any of the countries affected. So within the scope of what was possible style-wise and swing-wise in Europe (please consider that even in peacetime only a fairly small share of the music recorded in the USA was ever exported to Europe in the 30s to serve as an inspiration to aspiring local jazz musicians) it still was quite decent music and showed some keen awareness of what was happening in jazz.

All I meant to say is that not even in Italy there was a total lack of jazz during the Mussolini era (which your wording might have implied to those not familiar with at least a few basic facts). But that's a side note only anway - so back to the main topic of those $$$$$$ earners to sellers who manage to sell originals of the discs of the B-V band (and others of their ilk) to the insatiable Asians. :D :D :D

Edited by Big Beat Steve

I happen to have that CD (and quite a few others from that series) and it's nice listening, and the fact that jazz was prohibited in WARTIME Central Europe (wherever the axis powers were present) is obvious but apparently (luckily) never went to the extremes of a 100% "blackout" in any of the countries affected. So within the scope of what was possible style-wise and swing-wise in Europe (please consider that even in peacetime only a fairly small share of the music recorded in the USA was ever exported to Europe in the 30s to serve as an inspiration to aspiring local jazz musicians) it still was quite decent music and showed some keen awareness of what was happening in jazz.

All I meant to say is that not even in Italy there was a total lack of jazz during the Mussolini era (which your wording might have implied to those not familiar with at least a few basic facts). But that's a side note only anway - so back to the main topic of those $$$$$$ earners to sellers who manage to sell originals of the discs of the B-V band (and others of their ilk) to the insatiable Asians. :D :D :D

Sorry if my wording might have implied something I didn't intend to.

It's indeed very interesting the story of those "underground" jazz musicians ("underground" almost in a literar meaning) and what about Goebbel's Charlie and his Orchestra? Fascinating, though weird at the same time.

I've been enjoying these guys, along with as much Sandro Brugnolini I can get, very much for the past year or so (even tossed a cut on my BFT).

Do check out the latest issue to reach DGA: "The Exciting 6" a double Z snap times three! :tup

I think I recall JSngry enjoying that Idea Six. That should probably be on the want list, no?

Guest Bill Barton

To get back to IIA, what set them apart from any other jazz gig i witnessed over the years besides obviously the outstanding composition and the musicianship was their humour, their theatricals and their great showmanship.

Damn! I miss Montreal! Over the years I saw so much great music there...

Back to the original topic, I just got to hear this one:

bassovaldam_exciting6_101b.jpg

and wa a little disappointed. Performances were all short-ish and rahter perfunctory. Well played, but a little "die-cut" if you know what I mean.

Still, the work of Gianni Basso in particular shows that if this was not necessarily a "good record" (although oithers may differ in that assessment), everybody involved was definitely good players, and that some of them no doubt had at least several gears higher than what is on display here.

• 2 years later...

Did you get this from Dusty Groove? They used to have this and one other Cuppini led LP available from time to time. I came this close to pulling the trigger on both of them many times. Gil Cuppini seems to always be in good company. One of my very favorite CD's is his What's New Vol. 2 that features Barney Wilen and Dusko Goykovic. That's one that ought to be in everyone's collection.

Did you get this from Dusty Groove? They used to have this and one other Cuppini led LP available from time to time. I came this close to pulling the trigger on both of them many times. Gil Cuppini seems to always be in good company. One of my very favorite CD's is his What's New Vol. 2 that features Barney Wilen and Dusko Goykovic. That's one that ought to be in everyone's collection.

yes, yes.

Love that What's New 2 too. I had purchased another Deja Vu LP sometime ago and was a bit disappointed thus the wait. I emailed Paolo Scotti and he replied that this Cuppini would not receive a CD issue. :(

Juno UK has samples online. http://www.juno.co.uk/artists/Gil+Cuppini+Quintet/

• 7 years later...