Jazz driving tapes

BruceH

Just wondering if anyone else out there likes to make jazz "mix" tapes for listening in the car. I like to make ones that reflect my current listening phases, but that are (hopefully) good enough for me to slap on a year or two in the future during a long drive. Just made a new one that includes lots of tracks from Hubbard's "Ready For Freddie" and "Here To Stay," a Tina Brooks, a Kenny Doreham, some "Mode For Joe" (naturally), some J. R. Monterose, and a lot of Walter Davis, Jr. How about you?

B)

I have an MP3-CD player in the car, so I do lots of different mixes, or entire CD's of just one artist. Here are some of my current mixes (all on one CD)

Complete Herbie Hancock BN sessions/Complete Miles Davis Live at the Plugged Nickel Sessions

Stanley Turrentine - All of the Mosaic sessions, a few of his CTI sessions, the Blue Hour sessions, a few later BN sessions

Bobby Hutcherson - All of his 60's BN albums that I have, plus several of the sessions where he's a sideman, from "One Step Beyond" to "Firebirds."

Heavier rock - an assortment of Alice in Chains, Stone Temple Pilots and 311 albums

Bill Evans - Complete Riverside sessions

Verve LPR - all of the CD's I've purchased from the last few waves of LPR releases. Lots of variety!

I can't recommend the in-dash MP3-CD player enough, especially if you spend a lot of time in the car. I love having that much variety available with me. :tup

if I make a mix for the car it is usually rock. With jazz the songs tend to be too long for driving around town, so I usually save it for longer rides and prefer to get into the groove of a full album. I also tend to prefer free jazz while driving. Recent favorites have been DKV Trio - Live in Wels / Chicago and Trigonometry and live Miles from the 70's.

The only jazz I played in the car over the last few years was Wes Montgomery's organ trios with Melvin Rhyne on Riverside, the early Blue Note Kenny Burrell - in session order, before the Conn set was out - , the Thad Jones Period sessions.

Laura Nyro's last Columbia CD, Walk the Dod & Light the Light, and the Live at the Bottom Line CD;

John Martyn's The Apprentice and Couldn't Love You More;

and a wealth of Cassette tapes with old and never highlife stuff from Ghana a friend from there gives me from time to time.

Matthew Shipp - Equilibrium.  That's all I listen to in the car.

Hey wait a minute. I was listening to Equilibrium this morning as well.

How'd I get your keys? ^_^

Specifically a Thirsty Ear mix MD:

Ibid, Désmarches, Ibid,

Places I've Never Been,

Space Shipp,

Staph,

It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, World,

D's Choice,

Reactive Switching Strategies,

Stream Light,

Equilibrium,

Vamp To Vibe,

Cohesion,

Rocket Shipp,

Select Mode 1,

A Knot In Your Bop,

The Root,

The Key.

Edited by Man with the Golden Arm

Some interesting replies.

JohnB---I know what you mean; over the years I must have made a million various rock, pop, or punk compilation tapes that mainly get played in the car. But sometimes a jazz soundtrack can be nice, on a very long drive, or a trip over the Bay Bridge (same thing).

Vibes----good stuff!! I'll have to check out this MP3 technology someday, probably when it's about to become obsolete. Try throwing some Hank on there! The Mobley Mosaic sounds great on the highway!

I make mixed cdr's for my car all the time. Here's one:

Henry Franklin "Theme For Jojo"

Pat Martino "Willow"

Cannonball Adderley "Snakin' The Grass"

Charles Earland "Grasshopper"

Phil Ranelin "Vibes From The Tribe (8-track version)"

4th Coming "The Dead Don't Die Alive"

Grant Green "Down Here On The Ground"

Wes Montgomery "Mellow Mood"

George Benson "I Remember Wes"

Kenny Burrell "Love Is The Answer"

Rahsaan Roland Kirk "Portrait Of Those Beautiful Ladies"

Jaco Pastorius "Portrait Of Tracy"

Eddie Harris "Superfluous"

Matthew Shipp - Equilibrium.  That's all I listen to in the car.

Hey wait a minute. I was listening to Equilibrium this morning as well.

How'd I get your keys? ^_^

Specifically a Thirsty Ear mix MD:

Ibid, Désmarches, Ibid,

Places I've Never Been,

Space Shipp,

Staph,

It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, World,

D's Choice,

Reactive Switching Strategies,

Stream Light,

Equilibrium,

Vamp To Vibe,

Cohesion,

Rocket Shipp,

Select Mode 1,

A Knot In Your Bop,

The Root,

The Key.

Vint, I started a mix CD the other night and you won't believe how many duplicates our two lists have!

Reactive Switching Strategies For The Control Of Uninhabited Air is BAAAAAaaaaaAAAD!

Other non-continuum music includes Life Wish by Organissimo, DeJohnette by The Golden Quartet, When by Junk Genius, and two of the three tracks that were included on The Dropper extra. Chicago Underground Duo, Tortoise, Jaga Jazzist, and Isotope 217 will make it in there too somewhere.

This is definitely a bumping driving mix, with a couple of breaks here and there.

• 10 months later...

Try Beauty Is a Rare Thing start to finish, then right into OC trio Golden Circle Stockholm expand (RVG edition) vol 1 and vol 2.  I did that last yr on a 10+ hour round tripper, it was cool.

up

because this is an interesting topic,

and because the thought of a 10 hour road trip with nothing but Ornette sounds extremely cool to me right now.....

B-)

Here's a few from my car case...

Horace Silver

1. Pretty Eyes

2. Song For My Father

3. The Jody Grind

4. Ecaroh

5. Sayonara Blues

6. Horace-scope

7. Sighin' & Cryin'

8. Blue Silver

9. The Tokyo Blues

10. The African Queen

11. Nothing But The Soul

12. Lonely Woman

Herbie Hancock

1. Kenny Dorham - Una Mas

2. Blind Man, Blind Man

3. Mimosa

4. Maiden Voyage

5. Oliloquy Valley

6. Cantaloupe Island

7. I Have A Dream

8. Firewater

9. Donald Byrd - Cristo Redentor

Freddie Hubbard

1. Open Sesame

2. Gypsy Blue

3. Osie Mae

4. The Melting Pot

5. The Black Angel

6. Gittin' Down

7. Coral Keys

8. Red Clay

9. Povo

10. Yesterday's Dreams

Wayne Shorter

1. Oriental Folk Song

2. Armageddon

3. Deluge

4. House Of Jade

5. Dance Cadaverous

6. Speak No Evil

7. Adam's Apple

8. 502 Blues (Drinkin' & Drivin')

9. El Gaucho

10. Footprints

11. Chief Crazy Horse

Lee Morgan

1. The Sidewinder

2. Totem Pole

3. Exotique

4. The Gigolo

5. You Got To My Head

6. The Lion & The Wolff

7. Nakatani Suite

8. Free Flow

9. Ill Wind

Lee Morgan II

1. Sneaky Pete

2. The Mercenary

3. Sonic Boom

4. Mr. Johnson

5. The Stroker

6. Search For The New Land

7. Mr. Kenyatta

8. Melancholee

9. Party Time

10. Soft Touch

Verve LPR - all of the CD's I've purchased from the last few waves of LPR releases. Lots of variety!

Me too!!! I have my collection saved on my computer at work. A garden variety it is, too!!! Whattya got on yours? Me, I have:

James Moody

Buddy Rich & Harry Edison

's Make It - Blakey

Snap Your Fingers - Al Grey

This is Billy Mitchell

Involvement - John Klemmer

Once Upon a Time - Earl Hines

Ask Me Now - Pee Wee Russell

Soul Bird - Cal Tjader

J.J.'s Broadway - J.J. Johnson

Candido featuring Al Cohn

and in a few weeks, CALIFORNIA HERE I COME will be added. I can't wait for that one!!!!

Herbie Hancock

2. Blind Man, Blind Man

3. Mimosa

4. Maiden Voyage

5. Oliloquy Valley

6. Cantaloupe Island

Aw HELLYEAH!!! That's on my HH comp, too!!! "Blind Man" is groooooovy for highway driving!

As is NIGHT OF THE COOKERS!!! I used some software to edit out Big Black's conga solos, and the whole thing fits on one disc now! Wheeeeeeeee!!!!!!

I found that a home made Stacey Kent compilation had me at my most relaxed, especially in the family car.

However, when I went to pick up my new motor I had with me a 90 minute cassette of Organissimo and the soundtrack from Bullitt.

This is great but you tend to get a bit paranoid and start looking in the rear-view mirror a lot. Then you start weaving in and out of traffic.....

I've got a 45-minute commute each way to work, and my drive time is about the only time I get for anything like concentrated listening, so I like to just listen to single discs and get a feel for an album as a whole.

I do mix CDs for the occasional family vacation road trip, but that's a mix that usually goes from Lee Morgan (me) to Avril Lavigne (my 11-year-old-daughter) to Bob Marley (wife) ... gotta keep everyone happy!