Describe Your Dream Home

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1214_01_9---Portland-Head-Lighthouse--Maine_web.jpg

I've always wanted to live in a lighthouse. I have no idea why....

Becuase you've been possessed by the spirit of Howard Rumsey?

Probably has more to do with me seeing The Fog when I was a kid and falling in love with Adrienne Barbeau's character who ran a jazz radio station from a lighthouse.

fog-dj.jpg

It isn't quite my style, but I wouldn't turn my nose up at it as a gift:

http://www.brownharrisstevens.com/detail.aspx?id=364979#

I was waiting for them to say, in the small print at the bottom, "no pets, no children", but they didn't.

Five wood burning fireplaces! And staff quarters, so you can employ your own live-in lumberjack to cut down half of Central Park :)

Can you actually BUY firewood in Manhttan?

MG

At a purchase price of 70 million, the $38000 a month maintenance is chump change. :wacko:

I'm kind of surprised it only lists "park views" "city views" and "river views". What about views of New Jersey and Long Island?

I'm living my dream right now. I'm 365 days a year in hotels, plus or minus a few nights on planes or buses, or stuck in airports. For the most part, they're good hotels, though 'good hotel' is something of a definitional stretch in, say Djibouti or Tajikistan. But I get to see the world, and never have to make my bed.

In terms of place, if I HAD to settle in just one place: Oakland, CA.

There's a security guard at work, older fella. I strike up idle chit chat with him sometimes. So I asked him what he'd do if he won the lottery. Without hesitation he said, "Live in luxury hotels for the rest of my life." ... His eyes lit up as he described all the fun it would be. Never having to clean up after yourself, great food, just rent cars, etc. He loved the idea.

It isn't quite my style, but I wouldn't turn my nose up at it as a gift:

http://www.brownharrisstevens.com/detail.aspx?id=364979#

I was waiting for them to say, in the small print at the bottom, "no pets, no children", but they didn't.

Five wood burning fireplaces! And staff quarters, so you can employ your own live-in lumberjack to cut down half of Central Park :)

Can you actually BUY firewood in Manhttan?

MG

At a purchase price of 70 million, the $38000 a month maintenance is chump change. :wacko:

I'm kind of surprised it only lists "park views" "city views" and "river views". What about views of New Jersey and Long Island?

It has a view of me, too! (I can see this apartment from my office.)

My dream home would be in a warm place quite close to the ocean, a view of it, it being the Pacific. There would be an infinity pool, a "rancho", which is what they call an outdoor kitchen and dining area south of the border, it would be a split level with artistic meandering curving stairways with wonderful colors playing up the architectural interest, a tile roof, as the palapas are known for their bugs and such, and they do have to be refurbished every few years. There would be outdoor living areas with built in sitting and and little niches here and there, all scattered around the sides of the house, and if I could afford it, it would be a Diego Villasenor home, they are out of this world, they suit what I would want more than anything I've yet to see. I would be in my own little heaven. I mean really.

Edited by EulaM

That Manhattan property looks appealing -- do you think they'd take offers?

I'm pretty lucky in that we live in a village that we used to visit as kids and later on when we were courting, just to come walking and relaxing.

Many people still do the same. Our view from the living room is one of ducks, river, hills, trees and sheep. Typical rural living with a fantastic school of 40-50. The village is protected under the National Parks Authority too, which 9 out of 10 times is advantageous.

However, as I've said before on this board, we not exactly flush with culture here. A decent gig is always a good drive away and they don't come thick and fast.

We don't even have a café in the village.

But like I say; we're very lucky.

Now dream homes: I've always fancied the idea of a beautiful top floor apartment in central Paris --- Marais or Montmartre. Furnished simply but elegantly.

That would be one.

The other would be a rural cottage in the heart of Brittany or an equally unspoilt part of France. This would be rustic, creaky but cosy with a small paddock with chickens, geese and goats.

Needless to say each would be fitted with a full Naim 500 series and identical record collections. -_-

I'm pretty lucky in that we live in a village that we used to visit as kids and later on when we were courting, just to come walking and relaxing.

Many people still do the same. Our view from the living room is one of ducks, river, hills, trees and sheep. Typical rural living with a fantastic school of 40-50. The village is protected under the National Parks Authority too, which 9 out of 10 times is advantageous.

However, as I've said before on this board, we not exactly flush with culture here. A decent gig is always a good drive away and they don't come thick and fast.

We don't even have a café in the village.

But like I say; we're very lucky.

Sounds nice- would love to see a photo of it!

By the way Goodie, they're begging for English teachers down there, as well as realtors and other people with special skills.

Too unstable a part of the World for me.

Besides, I figure on hanging it up in five or six years.

I lived in the valley Tim, and I would venture to say there's more danger where you are than in Costa Rica. It's not like their neigbors to the north, and depending on where you live, it's really much better than a lot of places here in the states. I just know that much of the country is so unique, and ex-pats have the same rights as the Tico's, even the same access to state funded medical treatments. Surfing all up and down the coast, beautiful beaches, unique (to us) wild life and some of the most beautiful skys you've ever seen.

There are trade offs for sure, pot holes in the roads, rains which wash them out, heat and humidity in parts of the country, and there isn't a supermarket every mile or so, but that's ok too. Education is very important to them, so they did away with their army and spend the money that would ordinarily be spent on it on education and their infrastructure, and the statistics on education are astounding in what one thinks of as a third world country. Their literacy rate is quite high and climbing. Hey Tim, no fog! Just rain cloud rain banks, nothing like that tullie fog in the valley.

Edited by EulaM

Sounds great....just not my cup o'tea.

Fair?

Sure, but if not wanting to live there, checking out the country should be fun for you and your family, as there's so much to do that you're into, surfing, fishing, golf, and then there's hiking, and all sorts of adventure sports, canopy exploring, seeing the top of the rainforest on cable lines. Visit the beaches they say, but stay up in the higher lands for the weather, that's where National Geographic tells us there's the best weather in the world.

I always thought it was in the Mediterranean, and for me, it was along the coast in Southern California.