How many Verve Elite Editions do you have?

DrJ

I have the entire series and yes I kept the outer sleeves. It was a dumb idea as the artwork was hidden underneath.

Polygram still had Verve, this was pre-Universal and they did a lot of far out packaging then. They did a Mercury series of R&B that was housed in a plastic radio replica.

41Y2TlH0YaL.jpg

Wonderful box! I ordered it from site that looked rather dubious ... just had to try (there were no used copies around in today's very acceptable price range, see here) and was overjoyed when I got it! Loads of great stuff in there, and in good sound, too!

As for the slipcases ... the only one of the VEE's that had one when I got it was the Hank Jones - and of course I kept it. The other early ones I got either used or from stores (dig that!) that tend to throw away the slipcases for whatever reason, as if can't decided what to do with them myself ... too bad, but never mind. The one "lacking" VEE I've got is the Stitt, which had the final page of the booklet cut off (looks like a manufacturing error or something) and instead a crappy b/w photocopy of it glued in ... I don't mind, really, but it's still weird ... but again, when I got it, it was impossible to find it at all - I remember getting it together with the Dizzy and at least one more in a local used shop).

• 3 years later...
  • Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, felser said:

Which ones are you looking for at this point?

Not sure - have the vast majority of them, might be just one or two that I'm missing. Will plan on doing an inventory check. :wacko:

In the space of a week I saw two copies for sale of that Peterson/deFranco. The first one was pretty beat up so I passed.

For Dinah Washington, there was the Hip-O-Select box ... wonderful, but not if you're not into that kind of vocal R & B/jazz mix, I guess.

The Jack Teagarden, to me, is desert island stuff - an amazing album I fell in love with quickly but only slowly realized how important it got to be for me, eventually.

The Ray Brown is mighty fine (I think his best leader album I know ... beats the Brown/Jackson double disc set, I'd say, and "Jazz Cello" anyways).

The Louie Bellson is a bit of a mixed bag, some great Tadd Dameron and Wardell Gray (one arrangement and one solo, I think?Just checked ... it's Dameron's "For Europeans Only", but it seems arranged by Don Redman as are all four big band tracks), but mostly it's by a small group with Don Elliott and Joe Puma, that I find quite boring (maybe I haven't yet figured out the subtleties going on there, who knows ...)

here's the Dinah box, in case (prices have gone up into the 100ish range, used to be quite a bit cheaper, guess it's on the way out):

714sl1ld2gL._SL500_.jpg

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fabulous-Keynote-Mercury-Singles-1943-1953/dp/B003YUK8I2

details for the VEE (no active DL link):

http://ubu-space.blogspot.ch/2008/01/dinah-washington-best-in-blues-for.html

Thanks for that Flurin - I guess I need to look out for the Teagarden and Ray Brown then. I like that Brown/Jackson twofer so if that is the case it sounds essential.

Took me 15 years to get to this stage so if it takes another 10 years or so to find these in a bargain bin I won't fret..:g

Edited by sidewinder

Haha, I was somewhat faster ... but at one time I scored lucky on several early ones (from the first or first two batches), allowing me to fill almost all gaps I still had, then ran into the "Collectors' Disc" (which I had ignored for years, not being aware I ought to buy it ... it was still around when I had learnt) ... two more gaps (the Dinah and Schifrin) were filled with the help of a forum member, cost me quite some ... but most of them I picked up when they were still around, luckily. Great series, too bad it was so short-lived!

Come to think of it, as I just mentioned buying the Chris McGregor "Jazz/The African Sound" in Warsaw ... the Quinichette, which was amongst the last ones in the series, I bought in Warsaw, too, 15 1/2 years earlier.

On 7/15/2016 at 9:46 AM, sidewinder said:

Looks like I am missing:

Jack Teagarden 'Think Well of Me'

Are any of those 'must haves'?

I'l echo and say that this disc one worth searching for. It led me to acquire quite a bit of Teagarden, but this remains by far my favorite.

11 hours ago, mikeweil said:

Found a copy of the Collectors Disk for € 1 plus shipping - didn't know this existed, so thanks for bringing this to my attention.

517JN6Z1BNL.jpg

Great catch! It's worth alone for "Squatty Roo" that Johnny Hodges made with Dizzy's band during the "Have Trumpet, Will Excite" session! I heard that track on the Hodges disc of one of those Verve best of compilations from the 90s and fell in love with it, but didn't quite feel like buying that disc for one lone track ... was all the happier to find it again on this compilation!

This thread inspired me to pick up the Collector's Disc, which was only $2.98 plus shipping from Amazon.  Although I have a few tracks elsewhere, it appears that this collection might be the only legit release for some of these tracks.  To answer the original question, I also own the Hank Jones, Jones Brothers, Lee Konitz, Art Blakey, Jimmy Cleveland and The Jazztet albums.  I bought the Konitz set a couple of years ago for around $50 (IIRC) from Amazon UK, and it was worth it!

On 7/17/2016 at 7:43 AM, king ubu said:

Great catch! It's worth alone for "Squatty Roo" that Johnny Hodges made with Dizzy's band during the "Have Trumpet, Will Excite" session! I heard that track on the Hodges disc of one of those Verve best of compilations from the 90s and fell in love with it, but didn't quite feel like buying that disc for one lone track ... was all the happier to find it again on this compilation!

Squatty Roo was also released on the Gillespie Verve/Philips Mosaic set

9 hours ago, RiRiIII said:

I ll check at home this evening and let you know.

For your convenience here is Discogs VEE listing:https://www.discogs.com/label/261081-Verve-Elite-Edition

Would be much appreciated - I'm home by now and have just checked my disc - faulty booklet, no scans of full notes included, and nothing on my computer, it seems ... I had totally forgotten the goof, enjoy that disc a lot, but it has been a while since I last played it.

1 hour ago, king ubu said:

Would be much appreciated - I'm home by now and have just checked my disc - faulty booklet, no scans of full notes included, and nothing on my computer, it seems ... I had totally forgotten the goof, enjoy that disc a lot, but it has been a while since I last played it.

No worries. I had printed It back then from the Verve web site - the web address is there as footnote. I will scan it and send it tomorrow. 

Edited by RiRiIII
Correction