How many Verve Elite Editions do you have?

DrJ

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

after years of hunting i have them all. meade lux lewis was the hardest one for me but Schifrin was the most expensive...

MCO

According to the booklet there is/was a restaurant somewhere - Rio I think - that was totally wall-papered with copies of the LP sleeve of this one. Now there's an obsessive !

By quick reconning, the only ones in this series I'm still missing are the Jacquet, Meade Lux Lewis, Teagarden, Dinah, De Franco and Bellson. I think I have all of the ones I particularly want.

Are there any of the above that I should regard as 'to die for'?

Yes, the Jacquet! But then I wonder, isn't that part of the Lonehill Jacquet series? Or does that one start later? The two long jams with Ben Webster are *da shit*, as they say, while the rest of the stuff is sort of the same stuff as on the great Mosaic set of Jacquet's.

The Bellson is merely so-so, too short, not enough substance for me to tell if it's really that good - the small group isn't that intriguing, but I think there's one great Tadd Dameron chart on the big band part, and there's a short glimpse (or two?) of Wardell Gray there, too!

The Teagarden is great - BIG sentimental favourite of mine, Big T singing the songs of Willard Robinson (for instance "A Cottage for Sale", "Old Folks", "Where Are You" and the wonderful "Guess I'll Go Back Home This Summer" - most warmly recommended, of course also for some marvellously beautiful trombone playing!

The Dinah is old-fashioned stuff, I got it to have them all and paid quite a bit, but it's not that great a disc, I'd say. The Lewis, well - depends on if you like some stride piano or not... the De Franco I never really liked that much, too sweet, somehow. I think that one may be out on Lonehill, too?

Ubu Rex: you must correct the sad state of your Teagarden holdings. At the very least get the other Verve recording on cd, "Mis'ry and the Blues", just released a few weeks ago. It's a great companion to the Elite, similar in nature (and two more Willard compositions). And if you like that one, keep on exploring. He's one of my favorite artists.

0060249860310_500X500.jpg

"It's All in Your Mind" from this one to me is the essence of great Teagarden! Wonderful lyrics, playing and singing.

"Think Well of Me" is also brilliant. Some of the songs from his third and last Verve Album is on this CD I believe:

http://www.jackteagarden.com/fffavs3playlist.htm

I have all of the following, though I once owned titles that have since been reissued

in Mosaic collections, so I sold those:

Billy Bauer - PLECTRIST

INTRODUCING JIMMY CLEVELAND AND HIS ALL STARS

Dizzy Gillespie - PERCEPTIONS (great J.J. Johnson here)

Illinois Jacquet - THE KID AND THE BRUTE (w/ Ben Webster)

Hank Jones - URBANITY

Meade Lux Lewis - CAT HOUSE PIANO

Paul Quinichette - THE VICE PRES

Jack Teagarden - THINK WELL OF ME

CLARK TERRY

THIS IS TAL FARLOW

Sonny Stitt - ONLY THE BLUES

Harry Edison - THE SWINGER/MR. SWING (2 CD set)(Jimmy Forrest is basically co-leader)

Lee Konitz - MOTION (3 CD version - as opposed to the replication of the original LP only for the more recent edition)

JOHNNY SMITH

Lawrence Brown - SLIDE TROMBONE

Art Blakey - BLAKEY (w/a bonus date led by Joe Gordon)

Ray Brown - BASS HIT!

Roy Eldridge - SWINGIN' ON THE TOWN

The Jones Brothers - KEEPIN' UP WITH THE JONESES (originally on MGM)

Walt Dickerson - IMPRESSIONS ON A PATCH OF BLUE (ditto)

Buddy DeFranco/Oscar Peterson - THE GEORGE GERSHWIN SONGBOOK

Modern Jazz Society - A CONCERT OF CONTEMPORARY MUSIC (John Lewis, Getz, Lucky Thompson, and others)

HERB ELLIS MEETS JIMMY GIUFFRE (some nice Art Pepper on this one too)

George Russell Sextet - AT THE FIVE SPOT (which isn't live, but a studio recording!)

Wynton Kelly - IT'S ALL RIGHT!

Stan Getz and the Clarke-Boland Big Band - CHANGE OF SCENES

Louie Bellson - SKIN DEEP

Lalo Schifrin - DISSECTION AND RECONSTRUCTION OF MUSIC FROM THE PAST AS PERFORMED BY THE INMATES...(and it just keeps on going, you have to see the title to believe it, this is not a joke!)

Ed Thigpen - OUT OF THE STORM (w/Herbie Hancock, Ron Carter, Kenny Burrell)

Various - ELITE EDITION COLLECTORS' DISC

Billy Bauer - PLECTRIST

Illinois Jacquet - THE KID AND THE BRUTE (cdr)

Meade Lux Lewis - CAT HOUSE PIANO (cdr)

Paul Quinichette - THE VICE PRES

Harry Edison - THE SWINGER/MR. SWING (found this one for $10 used! WOW!)

Lee Konitz - MOTION (found this one used; has anyone ever listened to those other 2 discs?)

Feel like I'm leaving out one or two.

Lalo Schifrin - DISSECTION AND RECONSTRUCTION OF MUSIC FROM THE PAST AS PERFORMED BY THE INMATES...(and it just keeps on going, you have to see the title to believe it, this is not a joke!)

Believe it or not, I found this used for $7.98 a few years back. Couldn't believe my eyes! Bought it with the intention of eBaying that sucker. Then I actually enjoyed it. For a couple years anyway. Ended up eBaying it anyway. I think I got close to $30 for it.

Lee Konitz - MOTION (found this one used; has anyone ever listened to those other 2 discs?)

ME ! Good for those days when you are needing a concentrated dose of Elvin..

I listen to all three discs when I pull it out. It's a good 'un!

Yes, I love that 3CD "Motion"!

As for the long title of the Schifrin, I assume yall are aware that it refers to German writer's 1963 play "Marat/Sade", which is actually called: "Die Verfolgung und Ermordung Jean Paul Marats dargestellt durch die Schauspielgruppe des Hospizes zu Charenton unter Anleitung des Herrn de Sade" (english: "The Persecution and Assassination of Jean-Paul Marat as Performed by the Inmates of the Asylum of Charenton Under the Direction of the Marquis de Sade").

Of course everybody knows who that ami du peuple was, but maybe you need some help on Sade? :g