How many Verve Elite Editions do you have?

DrJ

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

dear friends,

i´m back from my vacations and as we are discussing the elite series i would like to say that i have them all except for:

.Lalo Schifrin

.Meade Lux Lewis

.Jack Teagarden

i know my missing list is not very original but as i´m a completist, i´m trying hard to fill those gaps so any help would be really highly appreciated!!!

Marcus Oliveira

Edited by marcoliv

sidewinder: London seems the place to pick up OOP VEEs. It's been two years since I was there, but there were a dozen each of several then already long OOP titles (like the Ray Brown, for instance). There might still be some lying around there... but they've got prices that beat even our swiss ones (which are ridiculous already by themselves)

ubu

Yes, its true. On another occasion a colleague of mine picked up a mint copy of Billy Bauer 'Plectrist' for about the same amount :o . First impressions of the Johnny Smith are that it's an absolute peach - wonderful interplay with Hank Jones and superb remastered sound. I normally opt for vinyl if I can but the sound on this one is more than acceptable and the sleeve notes are great.

A good haul of stuff in that particular store. Good condition Prestige Bergenfield vinyl of Booker Ervin 'Blues Book' and 'Heavy!' plus a nice copy of Booker's 'Structurally Sound' on Pac Jazz. Also a nice 'Fletcher Henderson A Study In Frustration' box set and a Carla Bley 'Escalator' LP box (with the weird runout groove on disc 6 :wacko: ) for about a tenner each. Good haul o' booty ! :D

Edited by sidewinder

Hey! Today I just found a used copy of the Harry Edison "Swinger/Mr. Swing" for a reasonable $12.50!! Maybe they didn't know it was a double CD. Wah-hoo!!! Now I only have about 16 or 17 more to go before I have all the ones I want. ;)

You will sure have many hours of listening pleasure with the Edison! Hope more of his music of that time would be available!

ubu

The Jimmy Cleveland is still available at towerrecords.com (at least, it was when I ordered it a few days ago - just got it in the mail today :g ). It's now listed as "special order," but if you can't order it, at least you can hear a few song samples and decide if you want to track it down.

FWIW amazon.de lists the Schifrin title as to be re-issued in November this year. Nothing for completists of this particular series, but the music will be more widely available again.

Amazon.de lists it as a UK import. On Amazon.co.uk it is listed as a Japan import ( Universal UCCU5152).

From my past experience with Amazon.de, I would not bet on getting this CD that easily. Most of my orders of japan import CDs - which were listed as being available - have been canceled after several weeks.

• 3 weeks later...

I've always been attracted to the hard to find items. When this series first came out, the titles were very diffficult to find as Polygram was not distributing them through their normal channels. I had quite a time ordering them, I think the initial ones finally came through Tower and they had to get them from an independent distributor!

I am lucky enought to own the whole sereis, I made them a priority to purchase at the time.

You might find them by going to half.com, they are usually some of them listed there.

Should be a challenge to put together at this point, but worth the trouble.

I've always been attracted to the hard to find items. When this series first came out, the titles were very diffficult to find as Polygram was not distributing them through their normal channels. I had quite a time ordering them, I think the initial ones finally came through Tower and they had to get them from an independent distributor!

I am lucky enought to own the whole sereis, I made them a priority to purchase at the time.

You might find them by going to half.com, they are usually some of them listed there.

Should be a challenge to put together at this point, but worth the trouble.

• 4 weeks later...

I picked up Quinichette's Vice-Pres a few weeks ago for 9.99 used from either half.com or amazon. Some nice music..Freddie Green keeps thinks swinging. Some good Ernie Wilkins arrangements and interesting organ on some tracks. The organ playing from Marlowe Morris and Basie is pre-Jimmy Smith, for sure...it kind of bubbles and swirls around the horns, kind of reminds a little of Al Kooper on Dylan's Rolling Stone with that kind of carnival, funky vibe (if that makes sense).

Quinichette is an enigma to me. If he's TRYING to be like Pres, then he leaves me cold. If Quinichette is just being himself, and it comes out Pres-like, then I really like him. Anyway, I like the CD. Thanks for the rec...almost let it get away.

After looking at it for so long, I finally broke down and got the Quinichette VICE-PRES as well a few weeks ago, and I'm glad I did because I keep coming back to it on a regular basis. Nothing earth-shattering, just chock full of lively swinging and hearty playing all around. Plus, it's got wall-to-wall Freddie Green, and that's ALWAYS a good thing!

• 1 year later...

Great series - up there with Mosaic in terms of shear all-round brilliance. A good way to discover a lot of great artists whose work was fairly new to me (Thigpen a good example). I'm missing a couple - the Jacquet for one. Got hold of the Johnny Smith quite recently and the Tal Mosaic renders the Farlow now surplus to requirements.

Great series - up there with Mosaic in terms of shear all-round brilliance. A good way to discover a lot of great artists whose work was fairly new to me (Thigpen a good example). I'm missing a couple - the Jacquet for one. Got hold of the Johnny Smith quite recently and the Tal Mosaic renders the Farlow now surplus to requirements.

That Jacquet/Webster album, The Kid And The Brute, is one of my favorite Elite's of all. I hope you can find a copy. :tup

Thanks, AB ! I'll keep an eye out for it at my usual 'haunts' on the off-chance of finding it. Good to hear the :tup on this one (I've yet to hear an 'Elite' I didn't like - not often you can say that about a reissue series).

The most recent one I got was the Johnny Smith (1960s material, very nice) which I picked up for about 6 or 7 pounds second hand. :rsmile:

Thanks, AB ! I'll keep an eye out for it at my usual 'haunts' on the off-chance of finding it. Good to hear the :tup on this one (I've yet to hear an 'Elite' I didn't like - not often you can say that about a reissue series).

The most recent one I got was the Johnny Smith (1960s material, very nice) which I picked up for about 6 or 7 pounds second hand. :rsmile:

Nice score on the Johnny Smith!

I don't think you'll be disappointed with the Jacquet if you find it. I liked it so much that I bought the Jacquet Mosaic (which I didn't like nearly as much as this cd).

I have almost all the CDs in this series (the few I don't have - Lalo, Alan Shorter, Dinah Washington, that third stream Modern Jazz Society - I chose not to pick up when they were available and still have no interest). A very good series, much more interesting than was Verve has been re-releasing since this time. It exposed me to a lot of musicians I otherwise wouldn't have focused on or even been aware of, especially Billy Bauer - his Elite is my favorite. Some I don't particularly care for (Johnny Smith, Clarke Boland, a few others), but most are very good or excellent, and the packaging, sound and extras are great. Another of my favorites was the first I ever bought, the Jacquet Kid and the Brute with some great Ben Webster. Other favorites are the Jimmy Cleveland, Clark Terry, Walt Dickerson, Wynton Kelly, Jack Teagarden, Ray Brown, Louis Bellson, and Lawrence Brown. :tup