How many Verve Elite Editions do you have?

DrJ

Yeah, the Tea! Marvellous one! Definitely look for it!

The Ray Brown is fine, too (by far better than the one in the LPR series or anything on the 2CD set w/Milt Jackson & Cannonball)

The Washington was, with the Schifrin, the final ones I got. Learned to like the Washington a lot. The Schifrin is of course kind of cool, if only for the title and the allusion to Peter Weiss and all... but musically it's rather slight.

The Peterson/De Franco I always found kind of lame, but before I got on my The Band-trip, I played a ton of Peterson and that one is up on top of the pile for once I'll feel like more Peterson... I have a hunch I might like it better by now...

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only one I don't have is the Dinah Washington. I threw out the outer sleeves as well. That was a stupid idea!

I also don't have the Washington either - unlikely to go for it too I guess. Once my latest 'presciouses' arrive, I'm only missing the Peterson/DeFranco, Ray Brown and the Teagarden I think. Any movers and shakers amongst that batch?

I keep the boxes though !

I didn't go for the Washington when I saw it because I had all the material. I have all the Mercury box sets, so I'm a big fan just haven't gone for the single releases . . . .

Get the Teagarden (you can get it on iTunes if you do downloading)

I have all but three or so. I don't have the organ release, I sold my Art Farmer after it was reissued in a Mosaic box and I think I'm missing one other one. I saved my outer sleeves. Awhile back I found the Hank Jones online for a ridiculously cheap price new at Tower, so I snapped it up and resold it. Had I held onto it, it would have brought a lot more today.

I have all but three or so. I don't have the organ release, I sold my Art Farmer after it was reissued in a Mosaic box and I think I'm missing one other one. I saved my outer sleeves. Awhile back I found the Hank Jones online for a ridiculously cheap price new at Tower, so I snapped it up and resold it. Had I held onto it, it would have brought a lot more today.

Yeah, I probably should have grabbed that $9.99 used copy of Alan Shorter's 'Orgasm' that I saw last week to flip. Too bad I had just paid $29.99 for my eBay copy two months earlier!

Eh, it's just money.

Edited by peterintoronto

I didn't go for the Washington when I saw it because I had all the material. I have all the Mercury box sets, so I'm a big fan just haven't gone for the single releases . . . .

That's what I thought at first too, but then I discovered that the VEE includes her 1943 debut session for Keynote (Evil Gal Blues etc), which isn't on the Mercury box sets (which I have too). So then I decided to get the Dinah Washington VEE after all.

Yeah, I probably should have grabbed that $9.99 used copy of Alan Shorter's 'Orgasm' that I saw last week to flip. Too bad I had just paid $29.99 for my eBay copy two months earlier!

Eh, it's just money.

Yup. I grabbed a copy of Orgasm on line last year for under $20. I've seen sellers asking a $100 for it once in awhile. Great album but not that great!

Concerning the Defranco/Peterson, I can get that one now for $8, but after hearing samples, I was turned off by the strings. If its still there the same store also has the George Russell for $8 too. If any one is interested, pm me and I'll check to see if its still there. PS: the Russell is excellent!

The only one I don't have is the Dinah Washington. I threw out the outer sleeves as well. That was a stupid idea!

I also don't have the Washington either - unlikely to go for it too I guess. Once my latest 'presciouses' arrive, I'm only missing the Peterson/DeFranco, Ray Brown and the Teagarden I think. Any movers and shakers amongst that batch?

Thanks Jazzbo and Ubu for the rec - I'll pick this one up at some time (in the 'old' CD format when I can find it). Must have the booklet !

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Jazzbo and Ubu for the rec - I'll pick this one up at some time (in the 'old' CD format when I can find it). Must have the booklet !

I played the Peterson/De Franco again some days ago, and I enjoy it quite a bit better than I used to!

And I also like the Ray Brown a lot, just in case I haven't said that before (I think I have though)... it's much superior to the "Jazz Cello" album (LPR Series) and to the stuff on that 3-on-2 Ray Brown/Milt Jackson(/Cannonball) set.

And I also like the Ray Brown a lot, just in case I haven't said that before (I think I have though)... it's much superior to the "Jazz Cello" album (LPR Series) and to the stuff on that 3-on-2 Ray Brown/Milt Jackson(/Cannonball) set.

Agree. The Brown VEE is really really good, although I have nothing to compare it too.

Found a used copy of the 'Collector's Edition' locally last week for $7. What a great disc!

Nice find. And it is indeed fantastic. Where else can you find prime Satchmo, Jimmy Smith and Tal Farlow on one disk?

AND that great jam track where Johnny Hodges sits in with the band of Dizzy Gillespie (Have Trumpet, Will Excite session) - I was so delighted to find that one there! It was also released on Hodges' Jazz Masters compilation on Verve (or whatever that series was called), and me no likee buying such comps...

Found Walt Dickerson's IMPRESSIONS OF A PATCH OF BLUE last month at a FYE in Virginia for $7.

Nice find! That's a really good one.

Indeed, nice catch! And I thought finding my copy for $25 was a steal!

Well tonight was my lucky night as I found "This is Tal Farlow" and "Art Farmer-Benny Golson Jazztet Here and Now" both for $18!!!

Found Walt Dickerson's IMPRESSIONS OF A PATCH OF BLUE last month at a FYE in Virginia for $7.

Well tonight was my lucky night as I found "This is Tal Farlow" and "Art Farmer-Benny Golson Jazztet Here and Now" both for $18!!!

You mean a total of $18 or $18 each?

Thinking back, I believe I got Impression Of A Patch Of Blue for $12, if memory serves.

Thinking back, I believe I got Impression Of A Patch Of Blue for $12, if memory serves.

$18 for both!!!!!!!!!! $10 for the Farlow and $8 for the Jazztet! I yelled out NO WAY! in the store!

$18 for both!!!!!!!!!! $10 for the Farlow and $8 for the Jazztet! I yelled out NO WAY! in the store!

HA! I did the same thing when I found the Dickerson! :tup