How many Verve Elite Editions do you have?

DrJ

Found a used copy of the 'Collector's Edition' locally last week for $7. What a great disc!

Nice find. And it is indeed fantastic. Where else can you find prime Satchmo, Jimmy Smith and Tal Farlow on one disk?

That Collector's Edition could contain just the single Jimmy Smith track and still be worth getting! What a fantastic reissue series.

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Found Walt Dickerson's IMPRESSIONS OF A PATCH OF BLUE last month at a FYE in Virginia for $7.

Nice find! That's a really good one.

Indeed, nice catch! And I thought finding my copy for $25 was a steal!

Well tonight was my lucky night as I found "This is Tal Farlow" and "Art Farmer-Benny Golson Jazztet Here and Now" both for $18!!!

You mean a total of $18 or $18 each?

Thinking back, I believe I got Impression Of A Patch Of Blue for $12, if memory serves.

$18 for both!!!!!!!!!! $10 for the Farlow and $8 for the Jazztet! I yelled out NO WAY! in the store!

Wow! I'm surprised a store employee didn't run up, grab them from your hands, and reprice them right there.

Which ones had slipcases? The only one I have w/slipcase is the Hank Jones (and the lousy orange colour has sort of faded away...).

Never saw any of the others w/slipcases, but needless to say, I picked them up nevertheless...

I've got the slipcases on the Stitt, Wynton Kelly, Hank Jones and Lalo. There may be others too - haven't checked them all.

I remember how long i've searched for Meade Lux Lewis! I happen to have them all and i kinda like the slipcases :)

MCO

That Meade Lux Lewis is exceptional ! One of my very favourite disks from the whole series. Strong buy recommendation, for anyone lucky enough to see a copy.

Which ones had slipcases? The only one I have w/slipcase is the Hank Jones (and the lousy orange colour has sort of faded away...).

Never saw any of the others w/slipcases, but needless to say, I picked them up nevertheless...

The first ten in the series had the slipcases:

Johnny Smith, This is Tal Farlow, Wynton Kelly It's All Right, Hank Jones Urbanity, Lalo Schifrin's Sade, Clark Terry, Listen to Art Farmer, Perceptions by Dizzy, Only the Blues by Sonny Stitt and The Best in Blues by Dinah Washington.

A great series (as I've said in this thread). I figured that the first ten would become collector's items because many people would throw away the slipcases (or they would become damaged) as they are somewhat awkward and not particularly attractive. I once got a somewhat angry in tone e-mail from a e-bay seller when I had asked about the presence of the slipcase. Anyone who doesn't want the slipcases, hey, put them up in the Offering and Looking for section. They will be worth something to somebody, as opposed to taking up space in a land fill.

I remember seeing large displays of them at Tower Records on the Sunset strip, including a couple dozen Schifrin's. I have no idea how many of that one were actually made. However, 5 or 6 thousand can be a lot of units. By comparison, the 78 set "The Jazz Scene" appeared as a edition of 5,000 and one can see copies of that on e-bay at least once a month, perhaps more.

Also, many of the selections in the Elite series appeared as reissues in Japan (although maybe not with bonus cuts). That includes the Lalo Schifrin, "Listen to Art Farmer" and the Clark Terry (just among the first ten). Konitz' Motion has been discussed. It is one of the only ones reissued domestically (and had been issued previously in Germany and Japan); however no other reissued had the extra two CD's worth of music.

A great series that I am glad to see people continue to enjoy.

Thanks for the info regarding the slipcases. I don't mind my copies not having them. I think most of those first ten I either bought used or I bought copies that were lying around in local stores for years, so the slipcases likely were thrown away after dozens of customers had a listen and they grew ugly...

Thanks for the info regarding the slipcases. I don't mind my copies not having them. I think most of those first ten I either bought used or I bought copies that were lying around in local stores for years, so the slipcases likely were thrown away after dozens of customers had a listen and they grew ugly...

I like the slipcases because it protects the digipack inside. The VEE'a I've bought used recently without the slipcases show nearly 10 years of wear -n- tear, whereas the two that I've bought used recently with the slipcases look just as fresh now as they probably did in 1997.

I don't know... got the Hank Jones locally and it's the only one I have with slipcase...

But is it an EU pressing? If it is, it certainly complicates matters...

I don't have it at hand, but I'd guess yes, it is. Imports are rare and ridiculously prized here, I wouldn't have bought that one for such a prize (although it *is* a nice disc).

I don't know... got the Hank Jones locally and it's the only one I have with slipcase...

But is it an EU pressing? If it is, it certainly complicates matters...

I don't have it at hand, but I'd guess yes, it is. Imports are rare and ridiculously prized here, I wouldn't have bought that one for such a prize (although it *is* a nice disc).

Weren't all of the Verve Elite Editions manufactured in the US? - ie. all of them are imports for us Europeans.

You're right. I looked at some of them and they all say "Printed in USA". I do think they were regularly distributed here though, in which case they don't count as imports? In any case, the ones I bought in Sweden were sealed and had no slipcases. The plot thickens.

I have the feeling that at least one of these I bought at the old Tower Records Picadilly Circus had the slipcase. The plot thickens further ! :crazy:

Edited by sidewinder

I think the Hank Jones disc is lame. Sorry I got it.

This week I finally found the Jacquet disc for a reasonable price - $9.98. I think it is the only one I want and missed.

Hm, I need to dig it up... didn't Allen say somewhere that he considered it to contain (some of?) Jones' best recordings?

The Jacquet is nice - a fine addition to the Mosaic, mostly... but then there are the two outstanding long cuts with Ben Webster!

• 2 months later...

There are two "like new" copies of Illinois Jacquet/Ben Webster's "The Kid and the Brute" on priceminister.com:

http://www.priceminister.com/offer/buy/568...4-CD-Album.html

For those who don't know: these compiles two albums (both 10 inchers, I think), Webster is on two long tracks of the first, the remainder is Jacquet's great little band. Plenty of good music!

Forgot to mention: they cost 10-11 € only!

A swiss vendor is offering Harry Edison's "The Swinger/Mr. Swing" for the attractive price of CHF 34 (roughly 34$ or a bit more than 20€):

http://www.jazztime.com/detail.php?JazztimeNo=26647

Not sure if they ship to foreign countries, but there's an email address... I'd act fast if I was interested, but I have that one (very nice twofer, same band on both albums, including Jimmy Forrest)

• 4 months later...

Got it--thanks! Now, if someone has one to sell... (can't find this ANYWHERE; can't even find the title on Amazon at all). :)

Would someone who has the Blakey/Joe Gordon Verve Elite kindly do me a favor and pm me the bar code number or catalog number or any other identifying info? I can't find this damn thing to save my life. Thanks!

Got it--thanks! Now, if someone has one to sell... (can't find this ANYWHERE; can't even find the title on Amazon at all). :)

Would someone who has the Blakey/Joe Gordon Verve Elite kindly do me a favor and pm me the bar code number or catalog number or any other identifying info? I can't find this damn thing to save my life. Thanks!

It's on the bottom of page 15 of the Blakey cds. :ph34r:

and...once again...FOUND IT...I was searching by label and neither Verve nor Emarcy worked...but Polygram did! Go figure...

It's on the bottom of page 15 of the Blakey cds. :ph34r: