How many Verve Elite Editions do you have?

DrJ

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Peter,

Check your PM re: Blakey/Gordon VEE CD. Thanks.

and...once again...FOUND IT...I was searching by label and neither Verve nor Emarcy worked...but Polygram did! Go figure...

Got it--thanks! Now, if someone has one to sell... (can't find this ANYWHERE; can't even find the title on Amazon at all). :)

Would someone who has the Blakey/Joe Gordon Verve Elite kindly do me a favor and pm me the bar code number or catalog number or any other identifying info? I can't find this damn thing to save my life. Thanks!

It's on the bottom of page 15 of the Blakey cds. :ph34r:

Edited by trane_fanatic

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I just wanted to keep this thread alive - having started it (rather astonishingly to me) 8 years ago!!! Can't believe it's been that long, but I'm glad it still gets dredged up periodically when people sight one or more of these in the used bins.

I started it when my first son was just born, he's now in third grade!

Still enjoying the hell out of this series of CDs, btw. Over time the Konitz MOTION 3 CD set, Lateef's BEFORE DAWN, the CLARK TERRY debut, GIUFFRE and ELLIS, Edison's THE SWINGER/MR. SWING, the Walt Dickerson (terrific), and Tea's THINK WELL OF ME have probably gotten the most time in the player, but I revisit just about all of them on occasion.

Edited by DrJ

I just wanted to keep this thread alive - having started it (rather astonishingly to me) 8 years ago!!! Can't believe it's been that long, but I'm glad it still gets dredged up periodically when people sight one or more of these in the used bins.

I started it when my first son was just born, he's now in third grade!

Still enjoying the hell out of this series of CDs, btw. Over time the Konitz MOTION 3 CD set, Lateef's BEFORE DAWN, the CLARK TERRY debut, GIUFFRE and ELLIS, Edison's THE SWINGER/MR. SWING, the Walt Dickerson (terrific), and Tea's THINK WELL OF ME have probably gotten the most time in the player, but I revisit just about all of them on occasion.

"Think Well Of Me" and "Mis'ry & the Blues" are some of my absolute favourite Jack Teagarden sessions.

Picked up three in the last month (Stitt, Kelly & DeFranco)via Amazon & this site - all in great condition & very reasonable prices (most under $10)

Don't think they were played much as the discs had virtually no scuffing

There seem to be more VE's on the market these days & at lower prices (have a number of these on my Amazon Wish List & check daily)

I use CD inner cellophane/plastic sleeves (like small LP inner sleeves)to protect discs that are housed in these situations (tight digipaks) - works very well - they come in packs of 50 (japanese origin but sourced from the US)

Luckily I bought quite a few of these in the early 2000's when they were on sale here in Brisbane - think they were selling them for $4 (Aus) a piece

I just spotted Yusef Lateef's BEFORE DAWN at a local shop with a price sticker of $39! I howled and complained to the clerk, who said it was probably out of print. Is it that good and worth a tank of gas???

It's damned good - certainly good enough for me to also snap up a Japanese reissue vinyl as well, when I came across it. $39 is a bit steep though ! :blink:

Yeah, damned good - but for that price I guess you could just about get the Freshsound 4CD set with the 1957 sessions, too. Morally dubious, I know... but I got that one as Savoy/Atlantic/Warner/whoever never followed their promise to do an "Early Savoy Sessions" set.

Got the VEE edition years ago and absolutely love it. 'teef focuses on tenor (flute instead on one track, arghol added to tenor on another) and is at his very best!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I just grabbed The Kid & The Brute off Amazon for $1.50. There's one more copy at this price. I'm assuming this is what it says-- hopefully not a cheapo Euro edition. But for the price I had to see.

Also, most Elite titles are priced between $12-25 on there for the moment. Multiple copies of the Sonny Stitt for $6+, though again I wonder if its actually the VEE or a EU budget edition.

I have the entire series and yes I kept the outer sleeves. It was a dumb idea as the artwork was hidden underneath.

Polygram still had Verve, this was pre-Universal and they did a lot of far out packaging then. They did a Mercury series of R&B that was housed in a plastic radio replica.

Bought them all as they came out in the beginning. Even then they were very hard to find and did not flow through normal distribution channels. I can't remember how I got them but they were not easy to track down.

I have the entire series and yes I kept the outer sleeves. It was a dumb idea as the artwork was hidden underneath.

Polygram still had Verve, this was pre-Universal and they did a lot of far out packaging then. They did a Mercury series of R&B that was housed in a plastic radio replica.

Bought them all as they came out in the beginning. Even then they were very hard to find and did not flow through normal distribution channels. I can't remember how I got them but they were not easy to track down.

Some of them took a trip to the States for me to track down. Lalo Schifrin case in point !