How many Verve Elite Editions do you have?

DrJ

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I was in a music store on the weekend and amongst their massive piles of discount items was a copy of The Jones Brothers' Keepin' Up With the Jonses!

I really miss this series. It was part of the golden age of reissues.

You got THAT right! I keep hoping that I'll stumble over a copy of JOHNNY SMITH the way I've stumbled over THE SWINGER AND MR. SWING, the Lalo Schifrin VEE, MOTION..... figure it's only a matter of time!

You got THAT right! I keep hoping that I'll stumble over a copy of JOHNNY SMITH the way I've stumbled over...

That's one that eluded me for a long while but came across a copy in a used CD rack in London years ago for £5 ! It's a good one.

That VEE series was the DOG'S BOLLOCKS of jazz CD reissues. :)

how's the Lalo Schifrin???

don't read a lot on this forum about him, but somehow O really dig his music!!!

JB

That Lalo Schifrin 'Marquis de Sade' is a nice one. A bit on the short side (most of the tracks around the 2-3 minute mark) but one that I find most enjoyable. Almost a concept album, really. People seem to have very mixed opinions on this one - if you like jazz with a 'baroque' edge then you'll probably like it.

how's the Lalo Schifrin???

don't read a lot on this forum about him, but somehow O really dig his music!!!

JB

That Lalo Schifrin 'Marquis de Sade' is a nice one. A bit on the short side (most of the tracks around the 2-3 minute mark) but one that I find most enjoyable. Almost a concept album, really. People seem to have very mixed opinions on this one - if you like jazz with a 'baroque' edge then you'll probably like it.

sounds cool!

thanks!

just checked, of course nowhere to get anymore.

:(:(:(

funny thing is that, due to make it a limited edition, the cd is not obtainable anymore, and when it will, very high priced, while there is an original vinyl on GEMM for $11.50

JB

The vinyl, of course, is ten a penny. :blink:

Hey Sidewinder.....care to translate for us Yanks across the pond! :D I take it a Dog's Bollocks is good and ten a penny is expensive???

As they have always said, we are two countries separated by a common language! :lol::lol:

Hey Sidewinder.....care to translate for us Yanks across the pond! :D I take it a Dog's Bollocks is good and ten a penny is expensive???

As they have always said, we are two countries separated by a common language! :lol::lol:

hehehe

Yep to the first (olde Anglo-Saxon) and nyet to the second (ie. dirt cheap)! :D

Edited by sidewinder

I just picked up Billy Bauer's Plectrist from, of all places, walmart.com, shrinkwrapped and new at list price. Can't wait to listen to it this evening. I just checked before posting and it's still listed as being in stock if anyone is looking for a copy.

I just picked up Billy Bauer's Plectrist from, of all places, walmart.com, shrinkwrapped and new at list price. Can't wait to listen to it this evening. I just checked before posting and it's still listed as being in stock if anyone is looking for a copy.

That one's a gem. I too found it brand new, within the past two years. See elsewhere in this thread for info on the hidden track.

That one's a gem. I too found it brand new, within the past two years. See elsewhere in this thread for info on the hidden track.

Hidden track! Hard to imagine there was a time, not too long ago, when Verve issued cool material and even did it with a sense of humor