How many Verve Elite Editions do you have?

DrJ

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But it isn't Elvin; it's Sonny Dallas.

OK - concentrated Sonny Dallas then ! :D

HELLO!!!! :blink:

Sonny Dallas is the bassist.

The wonderful Nick Stabulas is the drummer on the rest of the set.

Oops! That's what I get for going from memory. I guess I could've easily looked it up before posting, too. :crazy:

That's it: I'm putting on disc 2 right now.

Edited by Big Al

I only have these:

Jack Teagarden - THINK WELL OF ME

THIS IS TAL FARLOW

Lee Konitz - MOTION (3 CD version)

Walt Dickerson - IMPRESSIONS OF A PATCH OF BLUE (Thanks, BruceH!).

I wouldn't mind finding these for a reasonable price:

Billy Bauer - PLECTRIST

Art Blakey - BLAKEY (w/a bonus date led by Joe Gordon)

INTRODUCING JIMMY CLEVELAND AND HIS ALL STARS

And if the price was right I'd probably get just about any of the rest of the series.

The Cleveland can be had on a 2CD Lonehill "complete" set, in case you're interested in that... (I have the VEE, don't have the Lonehill, but it's still tempting to get the other two albums...)

Cleveland made 4 lps for Emarcy.

All 4 LPs are included in the Lonehill double CD. That reissue even includes a track ('Our Love is Here To Stay') that was not on any of the LPs but first appeared on the Mercury VSOP 4LPs box in Japan

Edited by brownie

The Cleveland can be had on a 2CD Lonehill "complete" set, in case you're interested in that... (I have the VEE, don't have the Lonehill, but it's still tempting to get the other two albums...)

Cleveland made 4 lps for Emarcy.

All 4 LPs are included in the Lonehill double CD. That reissue even includes a track ('Our Love is Here To Stay') that was not on any of the LPs but first appeared on the Mercury VSOP 4LPs box in Japan

Yeah, you see, I'm trying so hard to stay away from the evil Lonehill that I didn't even know how many albums it contained. I assume brownie, that "Our Love is Here to Say" is the track included as a bonus on the VEE edition of "Introducing"?

Yeah, you see, I'm trying so hard to stay away from the evil Lonehill that I didn't even know how many albums it contained. I assume brownie, that "Our Love is Here to Say" is the track included as a bonus on the VEE edition of "Introducing"?

I know, I know.

About Lonehill I mean.

I don't know about the bonus track on 'Introducing' but guess it's 'Our Love Is Here to Stay'.

I have the album on vinyl plus that VSOP box so I'm happy with that Cleveland material...

I know, I know.

About Lonehill I mean.

I don't know about the bonus track on 'Introducing' but guess it's 'Our Love Is Here to Stay'.

I have the album on vinyl plus that VSOP box so I'm happy with that Cleveland material...

I have both the VEE and the Lonehill 4-CD reissue (great sound here BTW), as I got tired of paying outrageous collector's prices for this material, some of which was NOT available on CD anyway ... I can confirm that "Our Love Is Here To Stay" is on the VEE.

What was most interesting to me is how several of the Benny Golson arrangements found on the Lonehill set were precursors to his later work with the Jazztet ... very similar voicings.

My question was actually if the bonus "Our Love Is Here to Stay" was the same as the one mentioned being on that other 4LP release... I knew there was a bonus version of that tune on the VEE, of course...

Thanks for giving some info on the Lonehill, Garth - guess this one goes on my list, then, for lack of better options...

I just picked up Billy Bauer's Plectrist from, of all places, walmart.com, shrinkwrapped and new at list price. Can't wait to listen to it this evening. I just checked before posting and it's still listed as being in stock if anyone is looking for a copy.

I checked around the internet the other night to try to find a copy of "Plectrist." I couldn't find anything under $40. Then I recalled this post from back in April and surfed on over to Walmart.com. Lo and behold, there it was for $14.88. I pulled the trigger, then thought I'd try to order an extra one, but they wouldn't let me.

I received a shipment confirmation this morning. I surfed back to the site and they're now listing the disc as "Out of Stock." So it looks as though I got the last one!

Thanks, montg! Thanks Organissimo Forums!

I just picked up Billy Bauer's Plectrist from, of all places, walmart.com, shrinkwrapped and new at list price. Can't wait to listen to it this evening. I just checked before posting and it's still listed as being in stock if anyone is looking for a copy.

I checked around the internet the other night to try to find a copy of "Plectrist." I couldn't find anything under $40. Then I recalled this post from back in April and surfed on over to Walmart.com. Lo and behold, there it was for $14.88. I pulled the trigger, then thought I'd try to order an extra one, but they wouldn't let me.

I received a shipment confirmation this morning. I surfed back to the site and they're now listing the disc as "Out of Stock." So it looks as though I got the last one!

God, that fucking figures.

....I'm trying so hard to stay away from the evil Lonehill that I didn't even know how many albums it contained....

I didn't really understand why Lonehill was "evil", but after reading this quote in one of the Amazon reviews for the Lonehill "complete" Cleveland compilation, I think I'm getting the picture:

"Having spoken to Jimmy Cleveland about this CD, it's a bittersweet story. He was never contacted by the record company, didn't even know it was being reissued. I sent him my copy - he wasn't thrilled with it."

Sooo, instead of picking up the Lonehill, I went ahead and located the VEE version of the "Introducing" session. Great stuff!

I guess I will need to just wait for the other sessions to come out on CD in versions that are done with Jimmy's permission and hopefully provide him some compensation.

Edited by riverrat

I checked around the internet the other night to try to find a copy of "Plectrist." So it looks as though I got the last one!

you're lucky. Plectrist is a very good album. at least i enjoy it a lot. and i'm surprised it hasn't been reissued more often.

from the other VEEs i have (and remember at this moment) i don't enjoy the Louie Bellson so much and i quite like Illinois Jaquet & Ben Webster's The Kid and the Brute, though it's one of those typical Granz jam sessions.

I checked around the internet the other night to try to find a copy of "Plectrist." So it looks as though I got the last one!

you're lucky. Plectrist is a very good album. at least i enjoy it a lot. and i'm surprised it hasn't been reissued more often.

from the other VEEs i have (and remember at this moment) i don't enjoy the Louie Bellson so much and i quite like Illinois Jaquet & Ben Webster's The Kid and the Brute, though it's one of those typical Granz jam sessions.

I just found Plectrist used last night at half Price for $7.50!!!!!! The cover is a little ratty but the disk is perfect. And yes, what a great album. Now, I have TWO VEE's. The other (and after reading some of the posts about the Lone Hill dilemma, glad its the VEE) being the 'Introducing Jimmy Cleveland' set. Another great one.