How many Verve Elite Editions do you have?

DrJ

I just picked up Billy Bauer's Plectrist from, of all places, walmart.com, shrinkwrapped and new at list price. Can't wait to listen to it this evening. I just checked before posting and it's still listed as being in stock if anyone is looking for a copy.

I checked around the internet the other night to try to find a copy of "Plectrist." I couldn't find anything under $40. Then I recalled this post from back in April and surfed on over to Walmart.com. Lo and behold, there it was for $14.88. I pulled the trigger, then thought I'd try to order an extra one, but they wouldn't let me.

I received a shipment confirmation this morning. I surfed back to the site and they're now listing the disc as "Out of Stock." So it looks as though I got the last one!

Thanks, montg! Thanks Organissimo Forums!

:tup I've been helped out tons of times by this board too. The Bauer CD is very nice, well worth the going the extra mile to track it down, imo

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just picked up Billy Bauer's Plectrist from, of all places, walmart.com, shrinkwrapped and new at list price. Can't wait to listen to it this evening. I just checked before posting and it's still listed as being in stock if anyone is looking for a copy.

I checked around the internet the other night to try to find a copy of "Plectrist." I couldn't find anything under $40. Then I recalled this post from back in April and surfed on over to Walmart.com. Lo and behold, there it was for $14.88. I pulled the trigger, then thought I'd try to order an extra one, but they wouldn't let me.

I received a shipment confirmation this morning. I surfed back to the site and they're now listing the disc as "Out of Stock." So it looks as though I got the last one!

God, that fucking figures.

Hey, I got the last copy of "Plectrist" from Walmart.

You have a great wife and two kids (Not to mention a great book/LP/CD/DVD collection).

Would you trade?

God, that fucking figures.

Hey, I got the last copy of "Plectrist" from Walmart.

You have a great wife and two kids (Not to mention a great book/LP/CD/DVD collection).

Would you trade?

No, but I still wouldn't mind having Plectrist too. (And I'll defend to the death my right to whine like a baby.) :rolleyes:

This thread was inspired by a question that someone asked me in another thread when I made a passing reference to the Verve Elites...I hope those who saw this post in that thread will indulge me the "double post," I've largely cut and pasted what I said there:

The Elite series was sort of like Verve's version of the Connoisseur series - more obscure titles from the catalog. Like the Conns, there were several runs, but then they ended up folding the more obscure titles into their LP sleeve and other reissue series, which has meant that they do less and less obscure stuff, just a few mixed in here and there with the Getz, Gillespie, etc "mainstays" of their catalog (not that those aren't often excellent, but still...). For example, it's probable the recent Billy Mitchell reissue would have been an Elite. Also like the Conns, often they'd throw in as a bonus other obscure/unreleased stuff.

The sound quality was uniformly excellent, and the packaging (well, except for the first few which came in a bizarre peek-a-boo slipcase that was totally unnecessary) was quite nice, with repros of the original artwork and labels as well as new graphics. The liners were often quite good too; original notes were always included, but they invariably added new stuff, often including things like interviews with the leader or a key player from the session in addition to the usual historical material. If it sounds like I was really fond of this series, it's because I was.

I BELIEVE this is a full listing (in no particular order) - the first run were issued in September 1997 and the last in August 2000:

Billy Bauer - PLECTRIST

INTRODUCING JIMMY CLEVELAND AND HIS ALL STARS

LISTEN TO ART FARMER AND THE ORCHESTRA

Dizzy Gillespie - PERCEPTIONS (great J.J. Johnson here)

Illinois Jacquet - THE KID AND THE BRUTE (w/ Ben Webster)

Hank Jones - URBANITY

Yusef Lateef - BEFORE DAWN (stands nicely with his roughly contemporary Savoys)

Meade Lux Lewis - CAT HOUSE PIANO

Paul Quinichette - THE VICE PRES

Alan Shorter - ORGASM

Jack Teagarden - THINK WELL OF ME

CLARK TERRY

Dinah Washington - THE BEST IN BLUES

THIS IS TAL FARLOW

Sonny Stitt - ONLY THE BLUES

Harry Edison - THE SWINGER/MR. SWING (2 CD set)(Jimmy Forrest is basically co-leader)

Lee Konitz - MOTION (3 CD version - as opposed to the replication of the original LP only for the more recent edition)

JOHNNY SMITH

The Jazztet - HERE AND NOW

Lawrence Brown - SLIDE TROMBONE

Art Blakey - BLAKEY (w/a bonus date led by Joe Gordon)

Ray Brown - BASS HIT!

Roy Eldridge - SWINGIN' ON THE TOWN

The Jones Brothers - KEEPIN' UP WITH THE JONESES (originally on MGM)

Walt Dickerson - IMPRESSIONS ON A PATCH OF BLUE (ditto)

Buddy DeFranco/Oscar Peterson - THE GEORGE GERSHWIN SONGBOOK

Modern Jazz Society - A CONCERT OF CONTEMPORARY MUSIC (John Lewis, Getz, Lucky Thompson, and others)

HERB ELLIS MEETS JIMMY GIUFFRE (some nice Art Pepper on this one too)

George Russell Sextet - AT THE FIVE SPOT

Wynton Kelly - IT'S ALL RIGHT!

Stan Getz and the Clarke-Boland Big Band - CHANGE OF SCENES

Louie Bellson - SKIN DEEP

Lalo Schifrin - DISSECTION AND RECONSTRUCTION OF MUSIC FROM THE PAST AS PERFORMED BY THE INMATES...(and it just keeps on going, you have to see the title to believe it, this is not a joke!)

Ed Thigpen - OUT OF THE STORM (w/Herbie Hancock, Ron Carter, Kenny Burrell)

Various - ELITE EDITION COLLECTORS' DISC

One last thing to mention is that, unlike the Conns, it seems these were often given a very spotty distribution...often unless you snagged them in the first few months after issue, they disappeared, and in fact a few (the Lalo Schifrin and Johnny Smith come to mind) were some of the harder CDs I've ever tried to track down. As all are out of print now, you may have a task ahead of you to locate some of these if you're interested.

Anyone else want to give up some love for this outstanding series? And if so, how MUCH love have you given in the way of hard earned cash in exchange for how many titles?

Seems I now have ten of these, including the collectors' disc. I wouldn't mind having all of them.

• 6 months later...

Well I can now claim that I have 7 Elites thanks to the unbelievable luck that some dude brought a boat load in for trade at my local used cd shop. On top of that, they're in great condition. This dude even had two booklets in one of them; one was a 'bad printing' (which he wrote in tiny letters on the back of the booklet) and the other a corrected booklet and then he kept both booklets. He also kept all the stickers and crap that were on the wrapping. I guess I don't mind his obsessive/compulsive behavior in this instance ^_^

Here's what I picked up:

Louis Bellson-Skin Deep

The Modern Jazz Society Presents a Concert of Contemporary Music

Listen to Art Farmer and the Orcestra

Ray Brown-Bass Hit!

All for like $7 or $8 bucks a piece!

So far, I've spun all but the Farmer and I have to admit that the Bellson is the surprise listen so far-what a great disk!

There's a couple that I passed on, but maybe you guys can help me reconsider:

Paul Quinichette:The Vice Pres (there was also the 'Kid from Denver' on Dawn)

Buddy Defranco/Oscar Peterson-Play George Gershwin

Illinois Jacquet-The Kid and the Brute

Any opinions?

Well I can now claim that I have 7 Elites thanks to the unbelievable luck that some dude brought a boat load in for trade at my local used cd shop. On top of that, they're in great condition. This dude even had two booklets in one of them; one was a 'bad printing' (which he wrote in tiny letters on the back of the booklet) and the other a corrected booklet and then he kept both booklets. He also kept all the stickers and crap that were on the wrapping. I guess I don't mind his obsessive/compulsive behavior in this instance ^_^

Here's what I picked up:

Louis Bellson-Skin Deep

The Modern Jazz Society Presents a Concert of Contemporary Music

Listen to Art Farmer and the Orcestra

Ray Brown-Bass Hit!

All for like $7 or $8 bucks a piece!

So far, I've spun all but the Farmer and I have to admit that the Bellson is the surprise listen so far-what a great disk!

There's a couple that I passed on, but maybe you guys can help me reconsider:

Paul Quinichette:The Vice Pres (there was also the 'Kid from Denver' on Dawn)

Buddy Defranco/Oscar Peterson-Play George Gershwin

Illinois Jacquet-The Kid and the Brute

Any opinions?

Buy 'em all.

yes, buy 'em all! The Brown and Modern Jazz Society are favourites of mine, the Bellson, well... I never liked it that much, but that one Tadd Dameron chart is great, as is the Wardell Gray solo (or are there two Wardell Gray solos? Can't remember).

The Vice-Pres disc is fine, as is the Jacquet (though I also have the Mosaic, and except for the two long tracks with Ben Webster, I don't like it that much... it's just more of the same, as compared to the Mosaic, but it's fine for sure, just not great - same I'd say about the Bellson by the way... no trade/buy offers will be accepted, just to make sure!)

The Peterson/DeFranco I've never gotten into really... still today I think it's one of the lamer VEEs, but I'll have to spin it again soon, it's been some years!

by the way, since this thread's up again, by now I got the Cleveland 2CD set (when in Paris in October, for a pretty attractive prize) :tup

Is this the VEE Jimmy Cleveland or another set? the Cleveland date in the series is a single disc. And what a great date that one is too! That was my first purchase.

Edited by Holy Ghost

The Vice-Pres disc is fine

I went to CD Now to listen to some tracks and now I'm totally not sure about this one. Although I dig organ playing, it sounds kind of old-fashioned here. So I may not pick this one up afterall.

For that price, I'd bet you could trade it on this board for another VEE more to your liking.... or something.

I went to CD Now to listen to some tracks and now I'm totally not sure about this one. Although I dig organ playing, it sounds kind of old-fashioned here. So I may not pick this one up afterall.

That's Bill Doggett I assume? I don't have the disc at hand, but it contains a lot of music from several sessions - the organ wasn't what I liked most, but I like Quinichette a lot, so to me it's a fine disc. I bought it in Warsaw when on vacation in 2000... didn't know Quinichette back then, or at least not beyond the Coltrane/Quinichette and Wheelin' and Dealin' discs... just sort of felt right for me to get it back then, and I never regretted that since, but if you don't like that kind of jazz, you might indeed either skip it or get it in order to trade it in for something you like (though that I never do).

That's Bill Doggett I assume? I don't have the disc at hand, but it contains a lot of music from several sessions - the organ wasn't what I liked most, but I like Quinichette a lot, so to me it's a fine disc. I bought it in Warsaw when on vacation in 2000... didn't know Quinichette back then, or at least not beyond the Coltrane/Quinichette and Wheelin' and Dealin' discs... just sort of felt right for me to get it back then, and I never regretted that since, but if you don't like that kind of jazz, you might indeed either skip it or get it in order to trade it in for something you like (though that I never do).

Right. Bill Doggett. From what I've read, Count Basie also plays organ on some tracks, but I didn't make it that far. It looks like there's somewhere in the neighborhood of 75 mins of music. That's pretty good!

yeah, but the Basie date also has Clayton & Wells!

here's the info - I don't have the disc at hand to compare tracks, but from my list (whcih includes last names of involved musicians), it's taken from the following sessions:

Paul Quinichette Sextet:

Paul Quinichette (ts) Kenny Drew (p) Bill Doggett (org) Freddie Green (g) Jimmy Lewis (b) Gus Johnson (d)

New York, October 5, 1951

4247 Crossfire Merc 8256, EmArcy EP1-6006, MG26021, MG36027, EmArcy (Jap)175-J5/6, Trip TLP5542, Blue Moon (It)BMCD1012 [CD]

Note: EmArcy MG26021 titled "Pres meets Vice-Pres" (partly by Pres)

EmArcy (Jap)175-J5/6 titled "The complete Paul Quinichette on EmArcy" (2LP)

Blue Moon (It)BMCD1012 [CD] titled "Paul Quinichete : All stars sessions 1951-1953"

Paul Quinichette (ts) Kenny Drew (p) Bill Doggett (org) Freddie Green (g) Jimmy Lewis (b) Gus Johnson (d)

New York, October 5, 1951

4579 Sandstone EmArcy EP1-6006, Trip TLP5542

4580 Prevue EP1-6002, - , Merc 8256

4581 No time - -

Note: All above titles also on EmArcy MG26021, MG36027, (Jap)175-J5/6, Blue Moon (It)BMCD1012 [CD].

Paul Quinichette and his Orchestra:

Buck Clayton (tp) Dicky Wells (tb) Paul Quinichette (ts) Count Basie (p-1,org-2) Freddie Green (g) Walter Page (b) Gus Johnson (d)

New York, January 30, 1952

YB4815-1 Shad Roe EmArcy EP1-6035, MG36027, Merc 8287, Trip TLP5542

YB4816-2 Paul's bunion (1) - - Merc 70020, -

YB4817 Crew cut - - -

YB4818-1 The hook (1) EP1-6034, - , Merc 8287, -

YB4819-2 Samie - - , Merc 70020, -

YB4820 I'll always be in love with you (2,bc,dw out) EP1-6035, - , Merc 8272, -

YB4821 Sequel (2,bc,dw out) (*) EP1-6060, MG26035, MG36050, Merc MLP7083, Trip TLP5555

Note: EmArcy MG36027 titled "The Vice Pres".

Trip TLP5542 titled "The Vice-President".

All titles, except (*), also on EmArcy MG26022 titled "The Vice Pres".

All above titles also on EmArcy (Jap)175-J5/6, Blue Moon (It)BMCD1012 [CD].

Joe Newman (tp) Henry Coker (tb) Marshal Royal, Ernie Wilkins (as) Paul Quinichette (ts) Charlie Fowlkes (bar) Bobby Tucker (p) Freddie Green (g) Jimmy Lewis (b) Al McKibbon (b-1) replaces Lewis, Gus Johnson (d)

New York, July, 1952

9346 Bustin' suds EmArcy EP1-6061, MG26035

9347 Let's make it - -

9348 P.Q. blues (1) 16009, EP1-6034, MG36027, Trip TLP5542

9349 Bot, bot (1) - - -

Note: Last 2 titles also on EmArcy MG26022.

All above titles also on EmArcy (Jap)175-J5/6, Blue Moon (It)BMCD1012 [CD].

Paul Quinichette Quintet:

Paul Quinichette (ts) Marlowe Morris (org) Jerome Darr (g) Gene Ramey (b) Les Erskine (d)

New York, January, 1953

9452 Galoshes and rubbers EmArcy 70138, EP1-6061, MG36050

9453 People will say we're in love 70086, - , MG36051

9454 Roses of Birdland 70138, EP1-6060, -

9455 No parking 70086, -

Note: All above titles also on EmArcy MG26035, (Jap)175-J5/6, Mercury (F)MLP7083, Blue Moon (It)BMCD1012 [CD].

Paul Quinichette (ts) Jimmy Jones (p) or John Williams (p) Jerome Darr (g) Milt Hinton (b) Gus Johnson (d)

New York, July, 1954

10590 Sunday EmArcy EP1-6060, MG26035, (Jap)175-J5/6