How many Verve Elite Editions do you have?

DrJ

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have the Blakey, Jacquet, Teagarden, Eldridge, Terry, Brown, and Jazztet CDs. All are fine although I find Lawrence Brown's playing a little hard to warm up to for some reason. Jazztet and Tea probably get the most playing time.

I see the Elites pop up now and then and I'm never sure whether to pull the trigger--the recommendations in this thread are gonna be helpful.

Edited by montg

The Collector's Edition disc does indeed have unique material on it:

1. Let's Fall in Love [1] -Louis Armstrong / Oscar Peterson - 3:33

2. Dancing in the Dark [Mono Version] -Bill Evans - 4:25

3. La Rosita - Coleman Hawkins/Ben Webster - 2:34

4. Shine on Harvest Moon - Coleman Hawkins/Ben Webster - 2:17

5. Memories for the Count - Harry "Sweets" Edison/Buck Clayton - 7:19

6. The Moon Is Low - Roy Eldridge/Benny Carter - 3:07

7. Close Your Eyes - Oscar Peterson - 3:49

8. Playboy Peterson - Oscar Peterson - 2:15

9. Prayer, a Jazz Hymn (AKA Hymn to Freedom) - Oscar Peterson - 6:55

10. Squatty Roo - Johnny Hodges/Dizzy Gillespie - 7:23

11. Duke's Place - Ella Fitzgerald/Duke Ellington - 4:12

12. With the Wind and the Rain in Your Hair - Tal Farlow - 3:00

13. Broadway - Jimmy Smith - 10:22

14. Let's Fall in Love [2] - Louis Armstrong/Oscar Peterson - 3:12

I saw it a couple of weeks ago and never bothered, because I thought it was a compilation culled from the VE cds. :rmad:

I've got 7 of these. My favorite is probably Paul Quinichette's the Vice President, with one of the highlights being Count Basie on organ. Jimmy Cleveland is also up there, especially since there's not much of his around. A similar trombonist like that would be Mathew Gee', whose Jazz By Gee is a must in my book, which should still be available from Fantasy.

I have them all except the collector's disc and the George Russell. I remember when the first batch was released. My local Tower Records had a bunch of copies of the Johnny Smith and the Dizzy Gillespie. It took me a while to track down the rest of that first batch. The subsequent releases were even harder to find.

My absolute favorite of the series is the 3 disc Lee Konitz Motion set. I can truthfully say that this cd actually saved my life (or my sanity). My son cried and cried and cried in the months after he was born (he's 2 now). I seriously thought I was going to lose my mind. There was NOTHING I could do to calm him down. NOTHING until I put disc 1 of the Konitz set on the stereo. My son stopped crying and really got into the music. My wife had played music for him before and it didn't do anything for him, but the Konitz disc captivated him. To this day, he loves jazz.

:rsmile:

My son cried and cried and cried in the months after he was born (he's 2 now). I seriously thought I was going to lose my mind. There was NOTHING I could do to calm him down. NOTHING until I put disc 1 of the Konitz set on the stereo. My son stopped crying and really got into the music. My wife had played music for him before and it didn't do anything for him, but the Konitz disc captivated him. To this day, he loves jazz.

:rsmile:

Wow....

Great story.

I love this series of reissues. Don't think there's a clunker in the bunch. Unfortunately, I got in after the first batch or two became impossible to find so I'm missing a lot of the early ones.

The only thing that put me off to these was HOW EXPENSIVE they were and I almost never found them at a discount.

The Collector's Edition disc does indeed have unique material on it:

1.    Let's Fall in Love [1] -Louis Armstrong / Oscar Peterson - 3:33

2.    Dancing in the Dark [Mono Version] -Bill Evans - 4:25

3.    La Rosita - Coleman Hawkins/Ben Webster - 2:34

4.    Shine on Harvest Moon - Coleman Hawkins/Ben Webster - 2:17

5.    Memories for the Count - Harry "Sweets" Edison/Buck Clayton - 7:19

6.    The Moon Is Low - Roy Eldridge/Benny Carter - 3:07

7.    Close Your Eyes - Oscar Peterson - 3:49

8.    Playboy Peterson - Oscar Peterson - 2:15

9.    Prayer, a Jazz Hymn (AKA Hymn to Freedom) - Oscar Peterson - 6:55

10.  Squatty Roo - Johnny Hodges/Dizzy Gillespie - 7:23

11.  Duke's Place - Ella Fitzgerald/Duke Ellington - 4:12

12.  With the Wind and the Rain in Your Hair - Tal Farlow - 3:00

13.  Broadway - Jimmy Smith - 10:22

14.  Let's Fall in Love [2] - Louis Armstrong/Oscar Peterson - 3:12

I saw it a couple of weeks ago and never bothered, because I thought it was a compilation culled from the VE cds. :rmad:

Well, I got it today (and got the Meade Lux Lewis today, too - as I'm one of those f**king completists...). I had no idea this was such a nice collection of rarities!

Thanks, Aggie, Lon, for clearing this up for me! I think that Collector's Disc is going to get quite some spinning here!

Another favorite of mine is the Modern Jazz Society Presents... disc. I look at it as a John Lewis album, actually. Very nice to hear Aaron Sachs in such stellar company! Then Luchy strikes as always he did, Getz, Scott and J.J. do some nice blowing, and then I like the arrangements very much. And those tunes are so nice! Can't get enough of any decent to gorgeous arrangement of "Django"...

ubu

vibes Posted: Sep 24 2003, 12:15 PM   

QUOTE (DrJ @ Sep 24 2003, 10:01 AM)

I forgot to mention, I have the whole series EXCEPT the Collector's Disc...why I haven't pulled the trigger is hard to say...now that I think about it, I HAVE to have it...   

I have a sealed one, if you're interested...at least, I think it's sealed. 

vibes, I PM'd you - but got that weird error message. It probably went through, but if not, let me know by replying here. Thanks.

Ubu Rex: you must correct the sad state of your Teagarden holdings. At the very least get the other Verve recording on cd, "Mis'ry and the Blues", just released a few weeks ago. It's a great companion to the Elite, similar in nature (and two more Willard compositions). And if you like that one, keep on exploring. He's one of my favorite artists.

0060249860310_500X500.jpg

Edited by jazzbo

I started collecting this series only after it went out of print, because in the late 90's I mainly listened to classical music. As I'm not a fan of mainstream jazz, I only searched for the more "advanced" or free titles. Currently I have those:

- Dizzy Gillespie - PERCEPTIONS (great J.J. Johnson here)

- Alan Shorter - ORGASM

- Lee Konitz - MOTION

- Walt Dickerson - IMPRESSIONS ON A PATCH OF BLUE

- George Russell Sextet - AT THE FIVE SPOT

- Stan Getz and the Clarke-Boland Big Band - CHANGE OF SCENES

- Lalo Schifrin - DISSECTION AND RECONSTRUCTION OF MUSIC FROM THE PAST

My favourites are the Getz, Dickerson, Schifrin, because the music is very unique.

BTW, I got the Schifrin for $27 on Ebay UK a few weeks ago.

BTW, I got the Schifrin for $27 on Ebay UK a few weeks ago.

Damn you! :g

I had no idea that one went for so much. When I first started posting on the BNBB, I wanted this one for my collection. Someone offered to sell me theirs for $75, and after looking around on eBay, half.com and a few other places, I decided I didn't need it that bad - $75 was the low end for this CD. :rolleyes:

Someone was nice enough to burn me a copy, and while it's good, it ain't $75-good.

Thanks for your Teagarden recommendation, Lon! I like those Verve LPR series quite much, actually, but have not gotten over the first couple of batches, yet.

I thought Teagarden might be someone I ought to explore more. Someday I might come around to do it, and then I'll think of you :tup

Can you comment on the Mosaic?

ubu

sidewinder: London seems the place to pick up OOP VEEs. It's been two years since I was there, but there were a dozen each of several then already long OOP titles (like the Ray Brown, for instance). There might still be some lying around there... but they've got prices that beat even our swiss ones (which are ridiculous already by themselves)

ubu

The Mosaic is an excellent set. It features the working band that produced "Mis'ry and the Blues" and has two fabulous live discs, and two discs that reissue their three studio lps, with additional previously unreleased tracks.

If you liked "Mis'ry" the Mosaic is a great set to explore. Expensive. . . but I preordered it and am darned glad I did.