• 5 months later...
  • Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 6 years later...

Currently listening to this one:

R-15710562-1596372274-3172.jpeg.jpg

From G To G (Soulnote, 1992) by the Gianluigi Trovesi Octet.

It easily stands up to the best records by Threadgill's or Murray's octets (no disrespect to those great groups - I'm using them as a marker for quality).

As always, I'm struck by how (comparatively) under-explored and under-promoted the Italian scene is. I seem to have a thousand Brötzmann records and yet I am hearing this utter gem for the first time today.

Some nice recommendations in the above thread, but if anyone has any more albums they want to suggest to some receptive ears, please let me know.

Edited by Rabshakeh

So another day's work done and time to think of Italian musicians. Unfortunately I'm not with my collection so can't simply look at the shelves.

I suspect these names have been mentioned upthread but Pino Minafra, Giorgio Occhipinti and the Italian Instabile Orchestra all featured heavily in my Italian phase. The orchestra is a great line-up to spin out of for people to investigate. Mario Schiano and Giancarlo Schiafinni are not to be missed. Roberto Ottaviano, Andrea Centazzo and his Ictus label and finally Stefano Battaglia's ECM recordings

The best Italian album I have heard recently is easily this 

https://www.discogs.com/Schiaffini-Prati-Gemmo-Armaroli-Luc-Ferrari-Exercises-DImprovisation/release/11633667

This entire label looks expensively tantalising but it's on Spotify I think 

I bet most if not all of these are in the thread, maybe I should have read that first...

2 hours ago, mjazzg said:

So another day's work done and time to think of Italian musicians. Unfortunately I'm not with my collection so can't simply look at the shelves.

I suspect these names have been mentioned upthread but Pino Minafra, Giorgio Occhipinti and the Italian Instabile Orchestra all featured heavily in my Italian phase. The orchestra is a great line-up to spin out of for people to investigate. Mario Schiano and Giancarlo Schiafinni are not to be missed. Roberto Ottaviano, Andrea Centazzo and his Ictus label and finally Stefano Battaglia's ECM recordings

The best Italian album I have heard recently is easily this 

https://www.discogs.com/Schiaffini-Prati-Gemmo-Armaroli-Luc-Ferrari-Exercises-DImprovisation/release/11633667

This entire label looks expensively tantalising but it's on Spotify I think 

I bet most if not all of these are in the thread, maybe I should have read that first...

Thanks!

I'll post more later (and boy there is a lot to recommend when it comes to Italian jazz), but here is a great one I've been enjoying for nearly 20 years: Riccardo Lay Quartetto "Frammenti" (il manifesto, 2001). Joyful stuff (with that South African via Mingus feel) with fantastic Gavino Murgia on saxophones. And if you never heard Sardinian polyphonic singing, you're in for a surprise. Not available on streaming, but can (should!) be bought for €4 at Italian amazon.

https://www.amazon.it/gp/product/B0057GYN96/  

619dzUXFblL._AC_.jpg

Well, since somebody's mentioned Gavino Murgia, here is another great one by him: Gavino Murgia Blast 4tet - "blast" (abeat, 2018)

71bHoIQMfEL._SL1050_.jpg