The Official Organissimo Italian Jazz Thread

Van Basten II

We talked about it in another thread so i elected to take the bull by its horns and start a thread about the world of Italian jazz. To get things rolling, i'll start with two subjects

Subject number 1 Are they other Italian Instabile Orchestra cd worth going after.

For my part i already own Skies of Europe which i would recommend strongly, Litania Sibilante who was the first cd i found after seeing them live, for my part i thought it was underwhelming after the live act. And more recently the one with Cecil Taylor who was disappointing as Taylor did not mix very well with the group.

Subject number 2. Andrea Centazzo Mitteleuropa Orchestra The Complete Recordings: 1980-1983

I'm thinking a lot about buying this set, but i'd like to hear more about it by the fine people writing on this board.

So here you go.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for starting this one Van Basten II.

I'm not familiar with the discs you've mentioned, although I know Centazzo, but ... one that Bev turned me onto a while ago might be of interest, or you may know it.

Tiziano Tononi (and the Society of Freely Sincopated Organic Pulses) -- "We Did It, We Did It."

Italian percussionist's three-disc extravaganza is a worth tracking down. A big, wild band band interprets Kirk, but also Ellington, Mingus, Monk, Coltrane, Hendrix and Marley. Incredibly rich and energetic.

Beyond that, some of the more the usual suspects with me include Rava (Tati, Pilgrim and the Stars) and a more recent favorite: Stefano Battaglia -- "Re: Pasolini" -- haunting and at times quite stirring ... with Dominique Pifarely on violin and Vincent Courtois on cello, among others. Battaglia has a marvelous way of coaxing tender improvised flights.

Edited by papsrus

I love Italian jazz - though, as with talk of 'European' jazz, the term disguises an enormous diversity.

As well as names already mentioned, there's great music from people like Gianluigi Trovesi, Pino Minafra, Enrico Pieranunzi, Stefano Bollani and a host of others - I must have a shelf of the stuff.

Last year's Appleby Festival had an Italian sub-theme with the splendid Lydian Sound Orchestra and one of my favourite singers, Maria Pia de Vito (who I see is playing the Blue Note in NYC tomorrow night).

My advice is to explore via labels like Splasc(h), Label Bleu, Soul Note or Black Saint. Some of this music is getting better known because of the ECM recordings - but I don't think ECM catch the warmth and humour of the music. I'm a great admirer of ECM but when I hear what they do with some of these Italians I start to understand why others have long had a problem with the label. What works for me in other areas of the music leaves me a bit chilled with the Italian music. Stefano Bollani is simply one of the funniest, spirited, most unpretentious musicians I've seen - but his ECM solo disc, though interesting, seemed so solemn to my ears!

A great source for Italian jazz is www.jazzos.com.

E-music carries a lot for easy sampling.

Thanks VBII,

My first suggestion is Gianluca Petrella, not very familiar with his records, but I heard him live a couple of times and I was very impressed.

http://www.gianlucapetrella.com/

This is well worth tracking down, came out a couple years ago. Blue Note didn't really know how to promote it so its easy to find on Amazon for under 4 bucks.

51HQJ8RXGBL._AA240_.jpg

He is also great with Rava on his last two discs.

I love Italian jazz - though, as with talk of 'European' jazz, the term disguises an enormous diversity.

As well as names already mentioned, there's great music from people like Gianluigi Trovesi, Pino Minafra, Enrico Pieranunzi, Stefano Bollani and a host of others - I must have a shelf of the stuff.

Last year's Appleby Festival had an Italian sub-theme with the splendid Lydian Sound Orchestra and one of my favourite singers, Maria Pia de Vito (who I see is playing the Blue Note in NYC tomorrow night).

My advice is to explore via labels like Splasc(h), Label Bleu, Soul Note or Black Saint. Some of this music is getting better known because of the ECM recordings - but I don't think ECM catch the warmth and humour of the music. I'm a great admirer of ECM but when I hear what they do with some of these Italians I start to understand why others have long had a problem with the label. What works for me in other areas of the music leaves me a bit chilled with the Italian music. Stefano Bollani is simply one of the funniest, spirited, most unpretentious musicians I've seen - but his ECM solo disc, though interesting, seemed so solemn to my ears!

A great source for Italian jazz is www.jazzos.com.

E-music carries a lot for easy sampling.

About ECM I agree about Bollani, not Trovesi, I think he passed undamaged through the Eichler's cure.

Pierannunzi is a bit boring for my taste. Too much Bill Evans without being Bill Evans.

Check out Red Records output for nice stuff.

A praise for the poor Massimo Urbani, a huge talented sax player killed by drug, like his hero, Charlie Parker. Something weird in this story.

Pierannunzi is a bit boring for my taste. Too much Bill Evans without being Bill Evans.

'Boring!' is the last word I'd use about 'Live in Paris', 'Live in Japan' or the exquisite 'Infant Eyes'.

Some of his discs can be very reflective and lyrical. I do reflective and lyrical big time!

I only have a couple of discs by him, but I very much enjoy:

6049681.jpg

Gorgeous version of 'Over the Rainbow' there.

'Boring!' is the last word I'd use about 'Live in Paris', 'Live in Japan' or the exquisite 'Infant Eyes'.

Some of his discs can be very reflective and lyrical. I do reflective and lyrical big time!

I only have a couple of discs by him, but I very much enjoy:

6049681.jpg

Gorgeous version of 'Over the Rainbow' there.

I agree, Live In Japan, Paris and Infant Eyes are all excellent.

About Instabile: I find the Instabile Festival 2CD set on Leo to be quite good - various line-ups, from trios to big band (only on a few pieces).

Also the other disc on Leo is very good, in my opinion (possibly my favourite, but I don't have "Litania Sibilante" yet, neither the Nel Jazz [?] disc).

Mario Schiano did a pretty nice album with Sam Rivers ("Rendez-Vous", I think on Red Records).

Then there's Eric Legnini (is he French actually? His sideman are, his first name isn't "Enrico", so...), a mighty fine pianist, follower of Phineas Newborn, so probably much more to the taste of those who find Pieranunzi a boring player (I don't know him well enough to make a judgement).

There's of course Giorgio Gaslini (three volumes of "L'intégrale" 2CD set on Soul Note, the solo piano discs dedicated to Ayler and Monk's music - all great, except I don't have the third Intégrale volume yet, so I can't tell about that one).

Then Gil Cuppini - his album with Barney Wilen is terrific!

Enrico Rava did lots of interesting things. I like his quartet album on ECM with Roswell Rudd a lot (there's at least one long, bad-sounding live recording of that band that's floating around).

Trovesi of course is one of the best, and I even think his ECM discs are good (though in the end those he did for Enja and Soul Note are probably quite a bit better). The duo with Gianni Coscia is sentimental and sweet, their Weill programme is fun though (only have live shows from that), the other ECM ("In cerca di cibo") I find pretty lame, but their disc for Egea (another label too cute and sweet for most, I assume?) I found much better, it's called "Radici" I think.

Speaking clarinets, there's Gabriele Mirabassi (not sure if he's related to rather uninteresting pianist Giovanni Mirabassi who did several albums for the defunct Sketch label). He's got a disc in trio (with Michel Godard) on Enja that I don't have yet (but it's on my wantlist). Also he's got a fine disc of Pixinguinha songs on Egea, called "1 - 0 (uno a zero)".

Egea has more good things to offer, including the napolitan banda albums by Marco Zurzolo - I have two of them and love them! (They're "Napoli, Ventre del sud" and "Pulcinella")

Then there's Pino Minafra, mastermind of the Instabile gang - his album on Victo is terrific! It's called "Sudori". I also have an album of his and the "December 30 Trio" (including pianist Giorgio Occhipinti), which is pretty good (I think that one's on Splasch(s)).

Talking of Occhipinti, there's his long OOP Leo disc, "Kaos Legend", very good one!

Oh, and talking Leo: a live show by Minafra with Han Bennink and Ernst Reijseger, "Noci... strani frutti" is pretty decent, too.

Then there's Gianni Gebbia - simply da shit, as they say - his "Arcana Major/Sonic Tarots Session" solo disc is one of the most stunning listening experiences I've had. I also have his disc "Outland" (again I think on Splasc(h)), which is quite enjoyable, and also "A Night in Palermo", a co-led group thing with Gino Robair, Garth Powell and others.

Then there's the trio he has with Powell and Matt Goodheart - their disc is called "Zen Window" and belongs to bay area rather than Italian jazz, I guess, but go check them out if they play your town... (I was lucky enough to be able to hear them live here, several years ago).

Paolo Fresu, then... a highly melodic player, probably too sweet again, but check out the trio P.A.F. (Paolo Fresu, Antonello Salis, Furio di Castri). They're good, and no, they're not sweet and easy.

Pianist Salis is another great musician, ranging from solo shows to playing accordion in bands, and doing free improv wiht Evan Parker (there are two trio discs I think with Mauro Orselli on percussion, I only have one, "improvisazioni", I think again on Splasc(d) - sorry, my list does not mention labels...)

Then there's Stefano Bollani...

And also more on the mainstream side: Rosario Giuliani (alto sax) - I have his "Mr. Dodo" (Dreyfus?), pretty fine album.

Another alto player (both he and Giuliani have been discussed here before) is Stefano di Battista, in whose group normall you'll find two thirds of the Eric Legnini Trio (Legnini himself, and bass player extraordinaire, Rosario Bonaccorso). He did several albums on Blue Note, including the first one with Elvin Jones appearing as a special guest.

I assume that almost covers my italian jazz exposure so far... ah, no, the "La Banda" 2CD set on Enja is worth mentioning. Trovesi, Willem Breuker, Bruno Tommaso and a few others doing banda music, the first disc just pure stuff (Verdi arias, mainly), and the second disc compositions/arrangements by the mentioned jazz musicisans (Tommaso did a great Nino Rota medley - hey signor Muti, that's the way it should be done... though that disc with the Scala orchestra isn't bad either...)

The mastermind behind that banda + jazz project was again Pino Minafra, I assume (and the german producer who also produced some other very good Enja Italian/Mediterranean jazz-related albums, such as Trovesi's fantastic "Round About A Midsummernight's Dream").

Oh, and to end just one word for Giancarlo Schiaffini - I only have the not that great disc "Let" he did with Trovesi and percussionist Fulivio Maras and some electronics, but he's an incredible trombone player!

I saw live performances of both 'La Banda' and 'Round About A Midsummernight's Dream' a few years back - both thrilling concerts. Mirabassi and Gaslini get strong votes from me too - in fact I must follow up Gaslini more.

I'd put 'Sudori' up there with 'We did it! We did it!' as my favourite Italian jazz records.

A couple of names that haven't been mentioned I don't think:

Franco Ambrosetti - trumpet - I like both of his "Movies" releases. I guess he's technically Swiss, so maybe he shouldn't count, but I think of him as Italian.

Aldo Romano - drummer - A fine Ornette tribute album called "To Be Ornette To Be", with Paolo Fresu. And I think I've still got a Romano/Joe Lovano (does *he* count as Italian?) duo disc on Owl somewhere.

Roberto Gatto - drummer; I've got one of his releases somewhere ("Ask", I think?), which John Scofield guested on. He's in Rava's band currently, I think.

I still need a copy of that "We Did It! We Did It!" - is it still available?

Mirabassi is a fabulous clarinet player! His trio with Godard was completed by another of those squeeze box guys, Luciano Biondini.

Giovanni Mirabassi did things with Flavio Boltro, who also appeared on some of di Battista's tours - while I like di Battista a lot, I was never sure about Boltro - too much of a Miles clone, I found.

And I forgot to add that I quite enjoy the Instabile/Taylor album - it's of course *very* different from what we've come to expect from the Instabile gang, but no one would have seriously expected Taylor to join the fun with "Fantozzi"...

Carlo Actis Dato I also forgot to mention. His quartet is great, I have three of their albums: "Fes Montuno" and "Istanbul Rap" on yvp, and "Swingin' Hanoi" (Splasc(h) again, I think). Also I quite like the Leo disc by Tachibana/Actis Dato/Ohta's "TAO" trio, "Tomorrow Night Gig", a live recording.

Then, there's Marcello Melis - he did a great album on Soul Note that everybody here loves (do the search yourself, please, probably it was just shortly discussed somewhere in the "rat"). Roswell Rudd is on that album.

Pietro Tonolo (sax) also deserves mention. I only have one fairly sweet Egea album ("Oltremare") but he's a sideman on some nice live shows I have.

And Alberto Mariano (sax) did an interesting thing with traditional sardinian music and Coltrane ("Coltrane on Launeddas"), but that goes more into mediterranean direction again, with oud, darbuka, and also Black Sea chap Theodosii Spassov (kaval, a reed instrument).

Paulo Angeli plays a self-made guitar (with more strings than normal, I think). He did a fine live album in duo with Hamid Drake ("Uotha").

Other fine players from the Instabile orbit are Daniele Cavallanti and Tiziano Tononi. And Sebi Tramontana, Eugenio Colombo...

Ambrosetti is Swiss indeed... and I think he more often played with Swiss (and American) musicians than with Italians, so I didn't even think of him at all. Anyway, he's a mighty fine musician! (So was his father, Flavio - I had him on my first BFT which was dedicated to Swiss jazz, mostly).

I still need a copy of that "We Did It! We Did It!" - is it still available? ...

Yes .. Jazzloft $34.99. Maybe elsewhere also, haven't checked around.

EDIT: Sorry, strike the above. That's their old web site. Available here at their new web site.

Thanks, just sent in an order... hurts my purse, ouch! But I've wanted to get this one for years... totally forgot about it!

Just thought I'd finally watch the Salzau 2004 DVD by the Rava Quintet - great so far!

By that time, Andrea Pozza* had replaced Bollani in the quintet - another fine young musician! I forgot that Bonaccorso was the bassist here, too - I love his big woody sound!

---

*) doesn't that name mean "the one who smells badly"?

Just thought I'd finally watch the Salzau 2004 DVD by the Rava Quintet - great so far!

By that time, Andrea Pozza* had replaced Bollani in the quintet - another fine young musician! I forgot that Bonaccorso was the bassist here, too - I love his big woody sound!

---

*) doesn't that name mean "the one who smells badly"?

No, "Pozza" means piscine, pool of water; "Puzza" means stink, smell.

That's the only mistake I found in your comprehensive essays about italian jazz. :ph34r: (I am a little ashamed)

About Pieranunzi I was talking about the latest show I attented a couple of years ago: a trio with him, Joey Baron and Marc Johnson. I don't know the records you named, but his Morricone's and Fellini's I have are good, not great and after a few listening...boring.

For some wrong reason I tend to go at concerts of italian musicians rather then to buy their records, so my POV could by misleaded by a bad performance...or maybe I wasn't in the groove that evening.

BTW I found boring even the latest Abdullah Ibrahim's concert I saw, and I love the man and for sure his early works. Same with latest Ornette Coleman.

Maybe "boring" is not the word, in some case I wasn't enthusiastic or I was dissapointed

I mean that there are concerts I can still remember as great performances, like Sun Ra and Sonny Rollins and John Zorn, even the latest Art Ensemble of Chicago, and others that I found dissapointing, so my judgements can be very subjective.

Edited by porcy62

some italian needs to answer that... ;)

Italian Instabile Orchestra - earlier thread

some Rava threads

Trovesi - Fugace

Stefano di Battista - Parker's Mood

Stefano Bollani

It looks like most discussions of Italian Jazz (I know there were some) have happened in topics that weren't actually about Italian jazz...

Shame, Shame on me!!! :( :( :(

Anyway I reccomended Bollani in this thread:

http://www.organissimo.org/forum/index.php...&hl=bollani

;)

Edited by porcy62