The Official Organissimo Italian Jazz Thread

Van Basten II

Let's ressurect this old thread of mine

Started listening to this recently acquired CdStefano-Bollani-I-Visionari.jpg

Only have listened to three numbers and already enjoying it tremendously, unfortunately it's getting too late to play music. As usual Bollani is in fine form but his sideman are quite capable although i'm way less familiar with them. The saxophone from Guerrini in the third piece is quite good indeed.

Anybody else has this fine CD in their collection ?

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's ressurect this old thread of mine

Started listening to this recently acquired CdStefano-Bollani-I-Visionari.jpg

Only have listened to three numbers and already enjoying it tremendously, unfortunately it's getting too late to play music. As usual Bollani is in fine form but his sideman are quite capable although i'm way less familiar with them. The saxophone from Guerrini in the third piece is quite good indeed.

Anybody else has this fine CD in their collection ?

Yes. A great pair of discs. I think it captures Bollani's extrovert, slightly surreal side well - you don't see much of that on the recent ECMs.

My first suggestion is Gianluca Petrella, not very familiar with his records, but I heard him live a couple of times and I was very impressed.

Gianluca Petrella did some fine collaborations with NIcola Conte and other artists on his Schema label, like i think Gerardo Frisina and i think also the INvisible Session. All this is more groove based clubjazz but with some fine playing. And i think he also has other records exploring freer territories.

on a different note, i'm tempted to pick up something from the Basso Valdambrini combos. can anyone recommend some albums? which are the really outstanding recordings?

My first suggestion is Gianluca Petrella, not very familiar with his records, but I heard him live a couple of times and I was very impressed.

on a different note, i'm tempted to pick up something from the Basso Valdambrini combos. can anyone recommend some albums? which are the really outstanding recordings?

In an amusing way this thread is an offspring from a thread dedicated to Valdambrini

http://www.organissimo.org/forum/index.php...;hl=Valdambrini

This is getting some good feedback here.

Bearzatti.jpg

Suite for Tina Modotti

by Francesco Bearzatti Tinissima Quartet

All amazon has is an MP3 download only, but the sound samples there sound very good. It's available at cd mail here, but I don't believe I've dealt with them before. Does anyone have any experience with cd mail?

Edited by papsrus

• 2 months later...

Bought this Gatto cd yesterday

CAMJ7747-2b2.jpg

Have only listened to 8 tracks so far but am enjoying it tremendously, the music personnifies Italian jazz to me, great lyricism, energy with the right amount of playfulness with a lineup like that you knew it could not be bad

ENRICO RAVA (t)

ENRICO PIERANUNZI (p)

STEFANO MASTRANGELO (frhn)

CLAUDIO CORVINI (t)

ROSARIO GIULIANI (as)

GABRIELE MIRABASSI (cl)

GIANLUCA PETRELLA (tb)

MASSIMO PIRONE (tb)

LUCA BULGARELLI (b)

ROBERTO GATTO (d)

• 3 weeks later...

copertina%20leggera.jpg

Here's another great example of fine lyrical italian jazz.

Recommanded

They played Cully, some of it was on the radio, could be a nice one!

About Petrella, indeed I think I should check out some - his Cosmic Band project played Umbria Jazz a couple of weeks back (also on the radio) and it sounded very good! Other than that I only know him from Rava's quintet.

I passed this one up several times in sales, didn't connect with what bits I played in stores, how about it, who's that singer?

740528.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Here's a splendid new release:

300x300.jpg

Stumbled on it at e-music.

Maria Pia De Vito has been a favourite of mine for the last ten years or so; Huw Warren is from Wales and has played in both the jazz world (roughly in that rather zany Loose Tubes area) and in the folk world (he was June Tabor's pianist for many years). Gabrielle Mirabassi is on a few tracks so I suppose that makes this one Italian!

I saw the Warren/De Vito duo in an Appleby concert last year - spellbinding. This Cd is marvellous too. De Vito has something in common with Norma Winstone, though she's more prone to break into free form vocalising. I was underwhelmed by her Joni Mitchell project on Camjazz last year but this one works very well. From icy ECM-ish ballads to vocal pyrotechnics and a particularly fine track with Mirabassi going bonkers on clarinet.

Recommended.

Here's a splendid new release:

300x300.jpg

Stumbled on it at e-music.

Maria Pia De Vito has been a favourite of mine for the last ten years or so; Huw Warren is from Wales and has played in both the jazz world (roughly in that rather zany Loose Tubes area) and in the folk world (he was June Tabor's pianist for many years). Gabrielle Mirabassi is on a few tracks so I suppose that makes this one Italian!

I saw the Warren/De Vito duo in an Appleby concert last year - spellbinding. This Cd is marvellous too. De Vito has something in common with Norma Winstone, though she's more prone to break into free form vocalising. I was underwhelmed by her Joni Mitchell project on Camjazz last year but this one works very well. From icy ECM-ish ballads to vocal pyrotechnics and a particularly fine track with Mirabassi going bonkers on clarinet.

Recommended.

"Bonkers on the clarinet." I'm all for that!! ... Sounds like a winner, Bev.

(And the cover art will work beautifully in the inevitable "Album Covers Showing Hands Holding Stack of Paper" thread.)

"Bonkers on the clarinet." I'm all for that!! ... Sounds like a winner, Bev.

I'm sure there's a more proper way to describe it, papsrus!

Well worth a listen - De Vito has consistently put out very individual vocal discs, a million miles from the 'standards' based records that flooded the marked in the late 90s/early noughties.

You can hear some De Vito samples here:

http://www.myspace.com/mariapiadevito

Though I'd suggest starting with the Italian titles. 'Voccuccia de no pie' (from an earlier recording) is especially lovely.

Edited by Bev Stapleton

• 1 year later...

Jazz Loft is offering at very low prices a series of recordings from the label Auand, not very familiar with this label, although they are certain names that i am, Binney, Petrella, Battaglia, any recommendations ? Gotta say some look very tempting.

http://www.jazzloft.com/d-4463-Auand.aspx

Edited by Van Basten II

I skipped the Cuong Vu in a sale... found it rather boring (but I probably only listened for five minutes).

Petrella should be well worth checking out. Do a search in the "funny rat" thread (recommendations part of the board, go for "display posts") for Auand, I dimly remember there having been some discussion.

I skipped the Cuong Vu in a sale... found it rather boring (but I probably only listened for five minutes).

Petrella should be well worth checking out. Do a search in the "funny rat" thread (recommendations part of the board, go for "display posts") for Auand, I dimly remember there having been some discussion.

There was a discussion about the label which was praised but no specific recommendations, however going through the whole search using Auand i saw a recommendation by our own Bill Barton regarding the Domino Quartet. Good things were said about the David Binney, who is probably of my favourite current musician, duo with Jeff Hirshfield.

For the rest, well it's up to your tastes.

• 4 years later...

Jazz Loft going out of business finally got me to get off my butt and complete my collection of Paolo Fresu 5et recordings on Blue Note EU. I'm spinning the third one now and it's sounding very nice. I don't think there's a dud in the bunch. Nice, almost too nice jazz, in that the tempos are not cooking a whole lot. They're more of a gentle lope than a gallop. That suits me just fine. I wish Fresu would bring the 5et to the states for a tour (that includes Boston) so I could see these guys live. There are 5 5et CDs out and other titles with the same band but not part of this "series".

Kosmopolites

0724387587052_230.jpg

P.A.R.T.E.

0094634311656_230.jpg

Incantamento

0094636027258_230.jpg

Thinking

0094637751459_230.jpg

Rosso, Verde, Giallo e Blu

0094639125258_230.jpg

Edited by Kevin Bresnahan

Jazz Loft going out of business finally got me to get off my butt and complete my collection of Paolo Fresu 5et recordings on Blue Note EU. I'm spinning the third one now and it's sounding very nice. I don't think there's a dud in the bunch. Nice, almost too nice jazz, in that the tempos are not cooking a whole lot. They're more of a gentle lope than a gallop. That suits me just fine. I wish Fresu would bring the 5et to the states for a tour (that includes Boston) so I could see these guys live. There are 5 5et CDs out and other titles with the same band but not part of this "series".

Kosmopolites

0724387587052_230.jpg

P.A.R.T.E.

0094634311656_230.jpg

Incantamento

0094636027258_230.jpg

Thinking

0094637751459_230.jpg

Rosso, Verde, Giallo e Blu

0094639125258_230.jpg

Those five albums have been realesed during the mid Eighties in celebration of the 20 years this phenomenal band has been working together.One of the most outstanding acoustic jazz formations IMO. You´re right, this is far away from your usual American post bop fare: the music of this band is gentle with a touch of mystery but never shallow. They´re from Italy. So you have a strong emphasis on melody and subtle interplay. Every single of these five Blue Notes is dedicated to the compositions of each band member. Every one is excellent, PARTE maybe the softest of the bunch, Rosso, Verde, Giallo E Blu the most exquisit.. If I should single out one CD for small budget recomendation I d choose Kosmopolites. By the way, talking about being prolific: After Songlines/ Night & Blue the quintet is once again back in the studio for another double cd - comemorating their 30th jubilee!