Computer Crashed

JSngry

Hi all. Just want to drop the word that something bad happened to our main PC last night, so my time online is gonna be limited for a while until the issue gets resolved one way or the other. Hoping it's not a hard drive crash, since I've not backed up for over a year...stupid, I know...but it's gonna be what it's gonna be, and that's that.

Please, no PMs or non-urgent personal e-mails, so as not to use up server space in between visits. Sending email through the board is ok, just know that I may not get to them right away.

I'm not totally computerless, but for now, it's "borrowed" time when I'm on.

Al, I'll try to get to the 2nd half of your BFT one way or the other. Still haven't downloaded it...

Later!!

I recently got a new PC notebook with Vista. Vista SUCKS! For me it's been buggy at every turn. I'm going to see about getting XP reinstalled.

The other thing I'm going to do very soon is get a MacBook Pro and say farewell to PC land once and for all. I started out on a Mac and I think it's time to return.

Edited by Free For All

I recently got a new PC notebook with Vista. Vista SUCKS! For me it's been buggy at every turn. I'm going to see about getting XP reinstalled.

The other thing I'm going to do very soon is get a MacBook Pro and say farewell to PC land once and for all. I started out on a Mac and I think it's time to return.

My laptop died a while back. An IT friend was able to save most of the data on it, so that wasn't nearly as bad as it could have been (and I do back up but certainly not everything). I ordered a new ThinkPad, which arrived yesterday. The main reason I went with Lenovo is that they were one of the few places you could still order a loptop with XP loaded and not Vista! This situation will probably last another 6 months and then they too will give in to the pressure of not selling non-standard IBM platforms. Of course, there appears to be a real backlash against Vista (much greater than with XP), so who knows.

Jim, if the harddrive does not have a physical problem you should be able to recover the data. Before you pay someone a shitload of money, go download the program GetDataBack from runtime.org for your specific harddrive format (NTFS or FAT32) and run it on the drive. The best way to do so is to put the drive in another computer as a slave and run GetDataBack from the host computer on the drive.

If there is no physical problem with the drive, GetDataBack should be able to recover your data in full. Best part, you can let it scan the harddrive first and see if it finds anything before paying for it.

Video card & possibly motherboard seems to have fried after 5-7 years of heavy usage. Not bad, all things considered, we usually turn 'em over long before that. Ordering a new system soon (long overdue), borrowing our son's system as needed/as available in the interim. Not sure about HD loss yet, but no rush there - if it's good, it'll be there, and if it ain't it won't.

I suggest a Sears Silvertone for a laptop. :ph34r:

Careful, Chuck. Don't you have a Dell desktop, too? :ph34r:

Have one each of the Dells. My unit has been a trooper but Ann's laptop is spitting blood. About a month ago I booted and got a bluescreen declaring "major malfunction" and about 4 pages of info I could not print (or commit to memory). At the end of the screen it said to reboot and if the same screen came back, say goodbye. The reboot worked but all processes take about 10 times longer now.

I have a machine I built in 2000 around an ASUS motherboard and an Athlon Thunderbird 1GHz chip. That computer is still running like a champ and it stays on pretty much 24/7. It is my office machine, used for web design and maintenance, Photoshop, Illustrator, ripping music, etc.

I've replaced the power supply once and this past summer the video card died. Other than that, the damn thing just keeps going. It's extremely under-powered for most things I make it do, but I can't justify upgrading or replacing it until it finally kicks the bucket.

I have a machine I built in 2000 around an ASUS motherboard and an Athlon Thunderbird 1GHz chip. That computer is still running like a champ and it stays on pretty much 24/7. It is my office machine, used for web design and maintenance, Photoshop, Illustrator, ripping music, etc.

I've replaced the power supply once and this past summer the video card died. Other than that, the damn thing just keeps going. It's extremely under-powered for most things I make it do, but I can't justify upgrading or replacing it until it finally kicks the bucket.

My daughter's on the BIY kick lately, & although I definitely see the advantages, I don't ahve the geek skills to fix it myself when something goes wrong.

But if I did, hell yeah, build it youself!

Have one each of the Dells. My unit has been a trooper but Ann's laptop is spitting blood. About a month ago I booted and got a bluescreen declaring "major malfunction" and about 4 pages of info I could not print (or commit to memory). At the end of the screen it said to reboot and if the same screen came back, say goodbye. The reboot worked but all processes take about 10 times longer now.

Has she done a defrag?

Has she done a defrag?

Or maybe a check disk first.

If there's some kind of errors on the disk, you migh have to do a check disk first. Win will let you know...

My daughter's on the BIY kick lately, & although I definitely see the advantages, I don't ahve the geek skills to fix it myself when something goes wrong.

But if I did, hell yeah, build it youself!

My son in law builds them himself. It was his fiddling that lost me two hard drives (one of which was the backup) irrecoverably, simultaneously, several years ago. I wont let him touch my stuff now.

MG

I know it's not a universally held opinion, but Dell desktops have been very very good to the Sangrey family.

The one (only, and last) laptop we bought from them though... :rmad: :rmad: :rmad::tdown :tdown :tdown :tdown :tdown

The Insprion notebooks seem to run hot and have inadequate cooling systems. I wrecked two hard drives in mine by neglecting to always use the computer on hard surfaces. So yeah, at least partly my fault, but still...annoying that you have to be so careful with a portable machine.