Today's New Age Music is Crap

Jim Alfredson

The New Age scene around here just died when our local public radio station dropped both Hearts of Space AND Echoes. :(

I think they have something streaming from their web site.

WNYC used to carry HOS on Sat or Sun mornings, I don't know when they dropped it.

From the article...

The next day, I bought my own copy, and I listened to it for like 24 hours straight. I didn't get to sleep until, like, 4 a.m. ...

I call shenanigans. That shit puts me to sleep in 15 minutes flat.

NOBODY can listen to that stuff for 24 hours. Can't be done.

Why they even make New Age CD's any longer than half-an-hour is beyond me. NOBODY'S ever heard the last half of a New Age CD, I guarantee.

Why they even make New Age CD's any longer than half-an-hour is beyond me.

For the yoga class, of course!

That shit puts me to sleep too. Yoga + New Age music = Rooster, out like a lightbulb in 5 minutes or less.

If you can sleep in some of those positions, that's amazing.

The New Age scene around here just died when our local public radio station dropped both Hearts of Space AND Echoes. :(

Play Hearts of Space AND Echoes -- TOGETHER, AT THE SAME TIME (on top of each other) -- and maybe I'd listen.

I used to do that kind of stuff...I'd also mix in some Cage and a bit of CNN. Somewhere around here is a cassette mix with the Oklahoma City bombing news quietly unfolding in the background. It just happened to be on at the time...

:g

I think I may have to make this my new signature:

I was out with this chick a month ago, and she asked me what kind of music I was into, so I said New Age, and she goes, "Oh, I just love John Tesh." I'm like, what the fuck?!?! That shit isn't New Age! New Age is about harmony with nature! It's about ambience and calming down! Not about some Hollywood pretty-boy banging on his Casio! I hear Tesh doesn't even have real ocean sounds—that's all synthesized, too.

:rofl:

Funny article.

I hadn't realized yesterday's New Age music was so good.

Bit of a zinger when he mentioned Tangerine Dream, though...for a while in the early/mid '70s (yes, I'm an old fart) I thought they were pretty cool.

The early years were cool. The albums on the Virgin label and before that were amazing electronic music. Not *New Age* at all. After they left Virgin, it was all down hill.

Edited by 7/4

I know the host of Echoes -- back in the day he was into King Crimson, Magma, and all of this heavy prog stuff. His personal musical tastes veer outside of the occasionally soporific material on the show.

However, I have heard things like Pat Metheney, some of the rougher John Fahey-inspired guitar fingerpickers, and the French electronica duo Air on the show.

Did you meaning "steaming"?

;)

I don't think I'd get too close to find out.

Did you meaning "steaming"?

;)

When I was in university I recall WJZZ in Detroit having a Sunday night NA show, c 1986. I admit to listening and maybe I was slightly enamoured (or desperate). I just got my new DX7 and these dudes like Azuma, Patrick O'Hearn, Yanni and Suzanne Ciani were on the Private Music label making noise with their DX7s. I even met the DJ of that show cause I had a demo I made of some new age noodling. :blush: (The WJZZ station was to my suprise just a small house.) Luckily this phase, like listening to Black Sabbath in my basement at 14, soon passed.