Bit Torrents

Lowgen

I suggest there be a separate category for BT announcements and (maybe separately) discussions.

I'd even suggest that Organissimo possibly host it's own tracker.

BTs are now a big feature on the internet yet they seem to get little or no coverage here. I know of no tracker that specializes in jazz. Instead, it's a matter of luck if one finds an attractive seed among the many existing trackers.

Piracy is rampant among BTs but it doesn't have to be that way. Volunteer moderaters on Dimadozen, for example, keep it entirely free of commercial releases though they have little jazz and are so out of it that they disallow all Bird material.

TradersDen has had some well-taken jazz torrents, etc.

Any comments?

/Lowgen

I admit I went on a bit torrent spree a couple of years ago and added greatly to my collection of unreleased Gil Evans concerts. (Gil with Jaco, with Roland Kirk and a great concert withe Lee Konitz & the RAI Orchestra.) Can't claim I stopped for ethical reasons: the site I was using disappeared--

probably for legal reasons, though I don't recall there being any copyrighted material on it.

"little jazz on dime".

Sorry if I misstated the situation, colored by my strong personal distaste for the people who run it. I won't post anything there again.

Anyhow, how about an an announcement category here, instead of many people all individually browsing their favorite trackers?

no way I can see that happen - it's not what this site is about, plus as you said, many of those "favorite trackers" are mostly just sharing things that are commercially available, so it would be no good for the band and this board to be involved, I assume.

plus, browsing is part of the fun (though I restrict myself to dime, just because of its strict rules).

Anyhow, how about an an announcement category here, instead of many people all individually browsing their favorite trackers?

If you've lurked here for any length of time you would realize that the band that hosts the forum does not want to associate itself with anything connected to copyright violations. That isn't to say that people here aren't well aware of BT sites, but there are some general ground rules that are followed:

We don't solicit burns

We don't recommend sharity blogs

We don't talk about what may or may not be available at bit torrent sites