New British Jazz

A Lark Ascending

Had a quick search and although I could find a few threads on British jazz from the past I couldn't see one dedicated to the current music. Correct me if I'm wrong and I'll shift this.

Thought it would be nice to have a thread to discuss, mention, get excited about people performing, recording etc today. Be it veterans like Stan Tracey who are still putting out great records; or some of the newer performers.

To start, here are three marvellous records that have given me a great deal of pleasure:

monkcd.jpg

One of my favourites of last year, and I was lucky enough to see them do it live at Appleby. Sounds just as you'd expect it to from these wonderful players.

414Wk-TPOtL._AA240_.jpg

Law is probably better known for his freer playing - this is a beautiful trio disc coming out of the Evans line of influence. If you like Marilyn Crispell's ECMs, this should be of interest.

61THB41Z6NL._AA240_.jpg

A few years old now but a record that should be far better known. Partisans are a guitar/sax and bcl/bass/drums band who play music that is jazz-rocky but without the plodding feel of so much jazz-rock. This music stays airborne. A thrilling record from start to finish.

Special mention for guitarist, Phil Robson, a player with a couple of solo CDs of note and who plays a key part in the ensemble of his partner, singer Christine Tobin. I saw him the other night on tour with Dave Liebman in wonderful form.

Sax/b-cl Julian Siegel is also a name to watch. There should be a CD soon from a trio he's been touring with Joey Baron and Greg Cohen.

The Partisans album above, 'Max' is on e-music. Worth some credits if you fancy taking a chance.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I very much enjoy the music of multi-reedman Alan Barnes, who plays quite often in this part of the world. I saw him last month in a quintet with Bruce Adams on trumpet and am due to see him again on Monday with Jim Hart on vibes. Alan is a highly entrepreneurial individual who has his own record label, Woodville, on which you can hear him and many kindred spirits, such as Scott Hamilton, Warren Vache, Harry Allen, Mark Nightingale, Dave Cliff and Martin Drew. Unusually, he is a musician I know better from live gigs than from recordings. Does anyone have any recommendations from Woodville Records?

And of course, still playing is the VERY VERY VERY great Lol Coxhill.

Harry Beckett, Evan Parker, John Butcher.

Not to mention our world class drummers: Mark Sanders, Steve Noble - and, in a straighter vein, Dave Wickens. Not talked about too much, but his trio with Kirk Lightsey is something else.

p.s. just re-reading my previous post - came over as not very gracious in those last three paras...no offence meant...just something I feel strongly about! :)

Edited by Red

Red,

My tastes in jazz as a whole centre around the tonal occasionally tipping over into free...but I tend not to spend long in the pure free area. I need a tonal base most of the time or I start wool gathering.

Out of your list, I really enjoy Ingrid Laubrock (an honorary Brit!) - have followed her recordings for some years, both her jazz-centred ones ('Forensic' was brilliant!) and the things she's done with Monica Vasconcelos in Nois.

Henry Lowther is a national treasure and so under-recorded - there's a disc of his from about ten years back called 'I.D.' which I absolutely adore.

I think we discussed Jason Yarde elsewhere - someone really must record him. I've not seen much of Orphy Robinson but he did a short spot at Jazz Britannia a few years back that was great; and he plays some very interesting material on the new Robert Wyatt record.

Tom Arthurs Centripede did a blisteringly good set at Cheltenham a few years back, with Ingrid; and a great duo with John Taylor earlier last year.

I can see what you are saying about the 'hype' but it was ever thus. Time will tell. Gwilym needs time to grow and lose some of the 19thC Romanticism in his playing - but I've enjoyed the two gigs of his I saw with a band including Stan Sulzmann and enjoyed his new record.

I've also enjoyed Polar Bear and Acoustic Ladyland (initially). I've not really warmed to the direction of the latter, never having had much time for punk. I'm hoping for something interesting from Polar Bear in the near future, though the chap with the laptop does nothing for me.

I've seen Evan Parker many times live and, despite being only an occasional free listener, have always been engaged. Someone I do like very much from that area is Barry Guy. He has a way of providing a context for the freedom that gives me something to hang on to. I recall seeing Lol Coxhill in a candle lit canteen around 1974. Another person who frequently loses me but can also really engage. I lve the Eminem disc of his which collects all manner of bits of pieces from his R'nB days via bebop into the completely free.

BillF,

I've always enjoyed Alan Barnes - he plays in several formations at Appleby each year and is simply the funniest man on the UK scene, apart from being a great player. I've found the few recordings I have by him enjoyable if not world shattering. But I think this one is marvellous:

31SHYQV9HSL._AA240_.jpg

Edited by Bev Stapleton

I suspect there was some politics involved in the slow hand clapping at the RAH - a hardcore free audience with (relative) newbies. Lambs to the slaughter, I'd say. Not a good programming decision!

Ingrid's record with Liam Noble is very good too. Kenny has looked and sounded very frail when I've seen him in recent years. I suspect he will focus on writing more and more. He played alongside Bob Brookmeyer in Hans Koller's band at Cheltenham last year.

I think 'I.D.' is OOP - it was on Paul Clarvis' label.

John Taylor is one of my heroes - I've been following him as long as I've been following jazz (mid-70s). In fact he makes an interesting contrast with Simcock - John's music can be extremely lyrical (thus my attraction), yet it's not over-rich. There's a luminosity there that I think Simcock has yet to learn.

He played in Sheffield a couple of weeks back with his trio with Palle Danielsson and Martin France plus Julian Arguelles guesting. Marvellous evening.

Art Themen is tremendous - I don't know how many times I saw him in the 70s/80s with Stan Tracey; he's also an Appleby regular.

One I'm looking forward to seeing next week is Arnie Somogyi's Ambulance with Eddie Henderson (a partnership that has been going on for a while now). Arnie produced what was, to my ears, one of the most original albums of recent years and it disappeared almost without trace. 'Improvokation', an exploration of his Hungarian roots with both British and Hungarian musicians. It's a record I play regularly.

54.jpeg

Edited by Bev Stapleton

I'm not sure about the RFH - there may well have been some of that. But, by the same token, there were plenty of mainstream fans there, and the British audience for free improv I don't think is necessarily that predisposed to Braxton (too clever by half) or Taylor (chops! mysticism!). My sense was that it was just a very lacklustre set. I just wish someone would tell Seb that they're drums, and for hitting...And, although I like his playing in some contexts, I just don't think Mark Lockheart is right for that group.

Thank you for the tip about the Somogyi band - it seems to gig quite a lot, but I've never managed to catch it.

Bev - I always learn a lot about the jazz of my own country by reading your posts!

Oh, beware! My views come from a very particular viewpoint, not always at one with general thinking! They have no musicological base - just reactions and enthusiasms that come from listening to too many records and going to the occasional concert and festival.

Mark Lockheart produced another favourite record of mine a couple of years back:

2081.jpg

A slight minimalist feel to it but never settling into monotony. Beautiful melodies. That lyricism again that I go for!

I need to read through this thread carefully, as there's a *lot* to absorb, but did want to mention Soweto Kinch, who records for Dune. I'll leave it to others to discuss him - and other Dune artists - in more detail. (Since I don't really know the Dune catalog, but others do...)

8.jpg

That's a great record. I've found it hard to listen to his follow up as it is much more hip-hop based - no criticism of the record, just my unfamiliarity with the genre.

My favourite Dune record is this one:

280863S.jpg

That rare thing...a jazz record you can put on when you have people over and they don't look at you gone out! Marvellous, marvellous version of 'Footprints'.

I heard a session on a Radio 3 programme a couple of weeks back by Denys Baptiste of music inspired by the Anansi spider stories which really grabbed me. I chanced on it in the car and although I had a rough idea of who was playing I didn't work out the names until I checked online later. Denys got a lot of attention for his MLK disc a while back, one that didn't quite do it for me. But this music sounded really interesting with a strong African percussion element. I'm hoping Dune (or someone else) has plans for this. I'm also hoping to see it appear on the Cheltenham schedule.

Edited by Bev Stapleton

Hm, lots of names to me that are just names.... Though, yes, Polar Bear is overrated, judging by the one disc I've heard (courtesy of Mwanji Ezana) & Jason Yarde is excellent, judging by a concert I caught some years back (a freeish blow led by Louis Moholo-Moholo).

Is the Wellins/Tracey disc a duet, or with a rhythm section? I love Stan but my impression of his son's drumming was none too positive, so I tend to stay clear of his recent work....

Nate - I've played with Stan's son a few times, and I have to say, really enjoyed it. Very solid...sort of out of an Art Blakey mould. Although also did some Kenny Wheeler charts with him and a big band at a festival last year, and he has a really nice 'open' feel as well on that kind of material. He was telling me he used to have a band in the early 80s with Osborne and Paul Rogers - very curious to have heard that!

(Bad) news flash:

Evening Standard jazz correspondent Jack Massarik has just announced on BBC Radio 3's Jazz Line-Up that the Appleby Jazz Festival (mentioned so often in this thread) has been cancelled for 2008, following the withdrawal of Arts Council funding.

Edited by BillF

p.s. to derail - on Anansi influences: Taylor Ho Bynum's group 'Spider Monkey Strings' (and their album, Other Stories) is wonderful.

I'd have been interested to hear Baptiste's programme...I've never been really fired by his stuff.

Soweto - the second album I find rather curious. It's no kind of a fusion record: he just alternates jazz with hip hop tracks, more or less, which lends it a rather disjointed feel. I think he can really play, but I've yet to hear him in what I think is the 'right' context for him. I think he needs to work with musicians who will really push him out of his comfort zone: I don't feel he does this with his regular band.

Quite! Although I suspect it's one of those things which isn't a 'zero-sum' game...although people may well be upset by the amount of money being chanelled from other public 'pots' into the Olympics, I don't think too many will be upset to see Arts subsidies withdrawn...I hope that's too cynical, and that I'm wrong, of course, but...

The Appelby cancellation was announced a few weeks back on their website.

It seems that a major funding source was withdrawn just before last year's festival; then the atrocious weather cut attendance - it was a bit like the Somme on the paths on the Friday! Alan Barnes announced the financial troubles on the Sunday night and there was a whip round to try and help Neil Ferber out. Don't know how much it helped - but Neil's announcement on the Appleby site suggests he just can't bring himself to go on the funding chase again. Can't say I blame him - chasing funds is a dispiriting exercise.

http://www.applebyjazz.com/

The Monk record is a quartet album with Clark. I've really no idea about drummers - but Clark has always done the job for my ears. It's worth checking out the recent Stan Tracey records - there are a series of fine trio albums and a marvellous one with Peter King. Also a beautiful vocal album with Norma Winstone and Bobby Wellins that stretches over two discs, exploring not so obvious songs.

Much of his recent music is on bass player Andy Cleyndert's Trio label - high quality recordings of marvellous music. Stan is enjoying something of an Indian Summer - he did a concert with Keith Tippett last month in London and has recorded with both Evan Parker and Louis Moholo in recent years. Not exactly resting on his laurels.

Trio Records:

http://www.triorecords.toucansurf.com/index.html

Trio have taken quite a few recordings from live Appleby performances. This one is particularly wonderful:

617MDq9RR7L._AA240_.jpg

I recall scouring the record stall at the back of the marquee for Wellins versions of the tunes after the performance - luckily, a year later it all appeared on disc.

Trio are announcing on their site a forthcoming disc of Tony Coe and John Horler. I suspect this will be the Appleby performance from last summer that was part of the same wet afternoon sequence where the Wellins/Tracey Quartet did the Monk tunes. If so, well worth waiting for. John Horler is another hidden gem. Tony Coe, not exactly hidden, but should be far better known.

Edited by Bev Stapleton

As a sidenote, I've just been helping a small, self-funding Arts Centre in Reading to fix a season of gigs. If anyone's ever in the area, please do come along. Here's the programme:

Rising Sun Jazz

This is just a page on my site - there should be another coming soon, and there's also this.

It was in the canteen at the Reading University Students Union that I first saw Lol! I was a student there from 1973-76.

Before my jazz days - I was a typical student prog-rocker (I'd come across Lol via Kevin Ayers band). Two of my strongest memories there were Henry Cow - once in a small room in the old part of the University, and an absolutely blinding gig at the Town Hall a year later. I also saw Nucleus there; and bought my first jazz records - Keith Jarrett, Ella sings Rodgers and Hart.

Good to see such challenging programmes being put on there- all credit to you, Red. Wish we had something similar in Worksop! I have to travel to Nottingham or Sheffield for jazz.

Bev - wow, great! I wish people like Lol had visited my university!

Really hope I can tie this one up - we've talked a few times about playing tunes (he gets a bit miffed at being seen as 'just' a free player, like you can imagine), so it'll be great fun to do.

Don't think they're putting stuff on at the town hall anymore though...

Really hope I can tie this one up - we've talked a few times about playing tunes (he gets a bit miffed at being seen as 'just' a free player, like you can imagine), so it'll be great fun to do.

I saw Lol once in the basement of a pub in Nottingham in the 80s - I can't recall who it was with. Might have been Elton Dean or even Phil Miller, though I could be telescoping a couple of separate gigs. But the music was largely bebop type tunes. I recall a great version of 'Embraceable You'.

I saw Lol once in the basement of a pub in Nottingham in the 80s.

He did a gig in a builder's skip up in North Yorkshire either last year or the year before. Malton, I think. :)

I saw Lol once in the basement of a pub in Nottingham in the 80s.

He did a gig in a builder's skip up in North Yorkshire either last year or the year before. Malton, I think. :)

There's a great video of him on YouTube playing with Rufus Thomas...or at least there used to be - I can't find it now!

Guest Bill Barton

Good thread idea! Thanks, Bev.

2007 for me was the year when I really *discovered* British jazz. I'd been relatively familiar with Tubby Hayes, Ronnie Scott, Stan Tracey, Evan Parker and precious few others. For years I'd heard about but never actually heard Joe Harriott. Around mid-summer I bought the Collectables reissue of Indo Jazz Fusions (oddly paired with the Jazz Modes, basically trad material.) Since that time I've been trying to get my hands on anything I can find by Harriott. In a nutshell, I'm converted! And now I'm starting to explore the music of Harry Beckett, John Stevens, Paul Rutherford, Mike Osborne, et al. It's like a whole new world of superbly talented musicians who have been here all along (and sadly I was a little late on the uptake for Rutherford and Osborne - RIP.) The recordings of the South African expatriates - Johnny Dyani, Chris McGregor, Dudu Pukwana, Mongezi Feza, Louis Moholo, et al. - are high on my list of *essential* material. Recently I heard John Butcher in concert, who was also totally new to me, and I was utterly blown away by his talent. He played in Seattle with Torsten Muller and Dylan van der Schyff, who are also on the new Drip Audio release, Way Out Northwest.