TV antenna users: Sign up for free digital converter

GA Russell

I may be the only one here who does not get cable or satellite TV, but if there are any others you will want to know about this.

The federal government has set up its website for people to sign up to receive the coupon for the digital converter which will be required soon.

Here's the link:

https://www.dtv2009.gov/

• 2 weeks later...

I may be the only one here who does not get cable or satellite TV, but if there are any others you will want to know about this.

The federal government has set up its website for people to sign up to receive the coupon for the digital converter which will be required soon.

So this will be just like that indoor plumbing voucher you got :cool:

Seriously though , without cable or satellite how do watch all those CFL games ?

So this will be just like that indoor plumbing voucher you got :cool:

Seriously though , without cable or satellite how do watch all those CFL games ?

In regard to the indoor plumbing wisecrack :) ...I went camping a few years ago and used an outhouse. All things considered, it was a more pleasant experience than using these federally mandated johns that don't flush!

Chas, I don't watch the CFL games. I listen to them on the internet. All of them are broadcast free. Early on in last year's CFL thread, I posted the links to each of the eight radio stations' websites.

Don't tell the CFL, but if I had to I would pay the yearly fee that other leagues charge for their internet broadcasts.

So, you don't have a cable connection. DSL? Can't be getting the games on dial up.

I got the games on dial up just fine until the middle of the 2006 season, when all of the stations except the Saskatchewan Roughriders' station apparently upgraded their websites, and caused me problems. Most of the stations are owned by the same company, Corus. Fortunately for me, the Roughriders won the Grey Cup this year, so I was able to listen to the important games with no difficulty. But I did miss a few I wanted to hear.

I had problems with my telephone connection, static caused by a nearby electric fence, starting in September, and I upgraded to a satellite ISP. The service is much better now.

My problem with dial up speed wasn't with most radio stations. It was that I couldn't watch YouTube.

So, you don't have a cable connection. DSL? Can't be getting the games on dial up.

I had problems with my telephone connection, static caused by a nearby electric fence, starting in September, and I upgraded to a satellite ISP.

And they say prison life is hard :rolleyes:

O.K. , I'll stop now before someone mistakes me for AllenLowe

The funniest thing about this government-funded program is they set a spec that no box can exceed, not meet. In effect, they are forcing electronics manufacturers to make a box with severely limited capability. The unit cannot output the signal with anything but 75 Ohm coax. So if a box has composite, S-video, component or HDMI, it does not qualify for the government coupon.

So who benefits? Well, the only companies making these simpleton boxes are some Chinese firms that sell mainly through Walmart. As you can guess, they're happy.

BTW, I am very glad that the thread starter used "TV antenna users" in the topic. It's really bugs me to walk around electronics stores today and hearing TV salesmen telling potential customers that they "have to buy a new TV with a digital tuner or in February 2009, you'll get a blank screen". I want to smack these people upside the head. Total BS. The only people who have to worry are those who get their TV over the air. Cable companies are not switching to 100% digital. I doubt they will for many years, if ever.

Later,

Kevin

The funniest thing about this government-funded program is they set a spec that no box can exceed, not meet. In effect, they are forcing electronics manufacturers to make a box with severely limited capability. The unit cannot output the signal with anything but 75 Ohm coax. So if a box has composite, S-video, component or HDMI, it does not qualify for the government coupon.

Whatya know? That's something else! Thanks for pointing that out. I see a nice earnings spike for cable companies this year as weirdos like me, who have been without cable by choice end up saying "sod it" and sign up.

• 1 month later...

My coupon arrived in the mail today.

It expires in three months.

Recommended retailers are Best Buy, Circuit City, Radio Shack and Walmart. Two telephone order numbers are listed, as well as four websites.

There is a list of 34 box models to choose from. I have not heard of any of the companies except GE, Magnavox, Philco, RCA and Zenith.

Guest GregM

Whatya know? That's something else! Thanks for pointing that out. I see a nice earnings spike for cable companies this year as weirdos like me, who have been without cable by choice end up saying "sod it" and sign up.

I hope more folks do what I did...cancel your cable and DirecTV and install a big antenna on your roof. Buy a Tivo Series 3 and buy three years of Tivo service, which comes to about $9/month. Not only does this let you get HD-capable broadcasts for all the major networks (assuming you live in an area that has access) but you can record your shows as well as pause and rewind live TV. The Tivo quickly pays for itself by saving monthly cable/DirecTV costs. Best of all I get more TV than I could ever watch in HDTV.

All of the Walmarts in this area are sold out, and they don't know when they will get the next shipment in.

I went to Best Buy Monday evening and checked out their converter box. It comes with a remote control. You change channels with it. I think you turn the TV on and off with it too.

I saw that most of the stations in this area broadcast digitally two or three stations, all of which the box picks up. I don't think that all of these stations are available on cable TV.

I don't have cable or satellite or a dish or anything. I just have a bigass Yagi up in the attic and 20 year old television that takes 15 minutes to warm up before I can see anything but snow. I'm planning to upgrade the television later this year, but I doubt that I'll spring for cable or anything; I'll just get the converter box. Anything that I want to see on cable I can get from Netflix a year later - in fact, this weekend I'm watching the final season of The Sopranos so don't tell me how it

So who benefits? Well, the only companies making these simpleton boxes are some Chinese firms that sell mainly through Walmart. As you can guess, they're happy.

BTW, I am very glad that the thread starter used "TV antenna users" in the topic. It's really bugs me to walk around electronics stores today and hearing TV salesmen telling potential customers that they "have to buy a new TV with a digital tuner or in February 2009, you'll get a blank screen". I want to smack these people upside the head. Total BS. The only people who have to worry are those who get their TV over the air. Cable companies are not switching to 100% digital. I doubt they will for many years, if ever.

Later,

Kevin

These boxes are to hook up to analog TVs that can't really take advatage of component or HDMI anyway. As for cable companies "not switching to digital", of course they are, their boxes are already digital converters.

I sent off for a coupon some time ago and have yet to get it.

I've just set up the converter box.

The picture is fantastic! All channels look equally good, like on cable TV. I'm getting 13 channels.

For some reason the box did not pick up the Spanish language channel, which I never watch but which I usually receive quite well. There is a process to add channels which the box did not automatically pick up, but I'll wait till another day to play around with it.

Unfortunately, I'm still not getting PBS, which is on the western side of the metro area, and I'm on the eastern side. I may try to add that.

• 3 weeks later...

So do you mean that you're getting more channels with the converter box than you did without it? I'm using rabbit ears because our neighborhood doesn't allow outside antennas. It's fine for us since we don't watch a lot of tv, but a few of the stations don't come in very clear. Does this mean my reception will improve with the box?

Six String, my reception is greatly improved for every station that the box has picked up.

However, there are a number of distant stations which my antenna used to get in a snowy fashion that the box did not pick up automatically. I need to play with the manual controls to see if the box will pick up these distant stations.

As I said above, the network affiliates broadcast digitally two or three stations, so there are about 7 stations that I can get now that I could not get before.

I thought I would move on to cable but I decided that $20 for an Insignia convertor was worth a spin. Boy oh boy, this is really sweet! Most channels have a choice between "regular" digital and HD. I now have 4 PBS channels to choose from.

I live in a part of town (Eugene) where no hills or buildings blocked the analogue signals so rather than buy a digital antennae I thought I'd try the rabbit ears/loop combo first. Works just fine.

Looks like I'll put off getting cable and spend that money on music like I have been. And goodbye ghosts!

Six String, my reception is greatly improved for every station that the box has picked up.

However, there are a number of distant stations which my antenna used to get in a snowy fashion that the box did not pick up automatically. I need to play with the manual controls to see if the box will pick up these distant stations.

As I said above, the network affiliates broadcast digitally two or three stations, so there are about 7 stations that I can get now that I could not get before.

Cool! As much as I hate cable companies, I always wish I could get better reception on a couple of channels or without moving the ears. That's good to know. I don't see any reason to wait on getting the box.

As usual the glorious future of new technology brings new problems. No more analogue ghosting, say hello to digital dropouts.

Not sure what I'm going to do antenna wise, but here are a couple of build-your-own options, along with some information about antennas in the 3rd link.

Video how-to link

Building a UHF HDTV antenna with pictures

Also the Crutchfield advisor - all about antennas