First dance for my wedding

ASNL77

I am getting married in about two months time and it is time for us to choose which tune we will be dancing to at the start of the party. Lynn and I have decided it should be a jazz tune. Yet, I must confess I am a rubbish dancer which makes it quite difficult.

We are thinking of going for Anita O'Day 'Ain't in a wondeful day' (Mosaic set disc 1 track 10) which is a beautiful and joyful tune but very difficult for a crappy dancer. Any suggestions or personal experiences? :cool:

Edited by ASNL77

Congratulations!

I just revisited Anita O'Day's "Ain't This a Wonderful Day", and I agree that it would be a very difficult song to which to dance.

If you don't mind slowing down things quite a bit, I think that Joanie Sommer's "I'll Close My Eyes" from Look Out! It's Joanie Sommers (Studio West #106 with Shelly Manne and Bobby Troup) is absolutely beautiful.

However, a better suggestion may be Ella Fitzgerald's "All the Things You Are" from The Jerome Kern Songbook. It is beautiful yet swinging. This song also appears on a number of compilations, including Verve's The Jazz Wedding Album: First Dances, which I do not find terribly compelling. (BTW, I have a copy of this compilation courtesy of an ex-girlfriend in the music industry. If you would like it, you may have it for the price of shipping.)

I also think that June Christy's performance of "That's All" from The Misty Miss Christy is the definitve version of that standard, but hardly danceable.

Of course, the best song to have played as a precursor to the ceremony itself is Frank Sinatra's Capitol single, "French Foreign Legion". ;)

How about this??

;)

More seriously -- my wife and I don't/can't/won't/shouldn't ever dance, but I did try to have the jazz piano trio that played our reception play "Beatrice". I figured, what better tune to have played at one's wedding?? -- than a tune named for the wife of the composer, and a marriage (Sam and Beatrice) that lasted some 50 (or closer to 60?) years (if I remember right) -- a hell of a long time, in any case.

The piano player (a pretty well-known local, who I probably shouldn't mention by name here) was a lovely player -- but he didn't really know "Beatrice" at all, and his eyes weren't at all what they once were, so they kind of slogged through it (with the lead-sheet I dug up), getting a couple of the changes here and there (but mostly not).

FFA, you know that 'pre-tribute' project you were on... :ph34r:

...and now you know why I request "Beatrice" so much! :)

Our wedding guests loved the trio, and they swung their asses off, and I never regretted hearing Beatrice quite as I'd hoped. It was the thought that counted. (That, and I was damn sure that the only people in the room that knew that tune even in the slightest were 1) the groom, 2) the bass player, and 3) the drummer. ^_^ )

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Ours was the Ray Charles version of "Come Rain or Come Shine" with Freddie from Root Doctor singing and my good friend Duncan McMillan on organ. Just a duet. It was nice!

Similar here. We danced to Ray's version - I've always loved it, plus I'm not much of a dancer, so a slow tune was easy to get by with when we were the center of attention.

If you can't dance, and everyone is going to be looking at you dance, any extremely slow romantic song will do. You want to be able to just stand there, shuffle your feet a tiny bit, and gaze into your partner's eyes with rapture. That will be acceptable to everyone.

The slower the song, the better. Wikipedia under "Dirges" might be a source.