Obscure records you love which never get a mention

David Ayers

I know there is another thread of this type - I just thought I'd start a fresh one.

My pick of the day is Charles Hayward, Double Agents (Live in Japan Volume 2) Locus Solus LSR 002, recorded 1996

Duets with Brotzmann, Haino, Tatsauya Yoshida and Yoshihide Otomo, plus two trio tracks with Brotz and Haino.

OK its a noise fest but ME LIKEE. Has anyone heard or even heard of this one?

Post your obscure favorites here!

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll give some love to more recent releases (well if the 80's can be considered recent, and I think they can by jazz reckoning):

Stephen Scott - RENAISSANCE (Verve 1995), a MIGHTY fine piano trio album. If you want a taster, just listen to the remarkable things he does with the old chestnut "Poinciana."

Seattle Repertory Jazz Orchestra LIVE (Origin 2002) - a great collective, including Don Lanphere, Jay Thomas, Floyd Standifer, and Clarence Acox. Yeah, it's rep, but superbly done. The music - impeccably chosen, by Ellington, Basie, Miles, Mingus, Thad Jones - sounds fresh and vital.

Hank Jones (w/ Dave Holland and Billy Higgins) - THE ORACLE (Verve 1989) - sadly OOP, this may be Jones' crowning achievement as a leader which is of course saying a lot. He's never quite sounded this adventurous while maintaining his "urbanity." Stunning.

Joanne Brackeen - ANCIENT DYNASTY (Tappan Zee 1980) - Brackeen, Joe Henderson, Eddie Gomez, and Jack DeJohnette, all on fire. How could it miss? Never on CD to my knowledge.

My pick of the day is Charles Hayward, Double Agents (Live in Japan Volume 2) Locus Solus LSR 002, recorded 1996

Duets with Brotzmann, Haino, Tatsauya Yoshida and Yoshihide Otomo, plus two trio tracks with Brotz and Haino.

OK its a noise fest but ME LIKEE. Has anyone heard or even heard of this one?

I've never heard of this record, but I am familiar with Yoshida's RUINS. He's an amazing drummer! Would you be so kind as to post a link to this record?

I don't know whether a court of law would regard this as legally obscure, but it certainly deserves to be more widely known - Kenny Clarke's 1955 album Bohemia Afer Dark. A CD was released on Japanese Savoy ten years or so ago. An outstanding swing-meets-hard bop line-up including the Adderley brothers. Listen out for some sublime Jerome Richardson flute solos.

Edited by PFunkJazz

I don't know whether a court of law would regard this as legally obscure, but it certainly deserves to be more widely known - Kenny Clarke's 1955 album Bohemia Afer Dark. A CD was released on Japanese Savoy ten years or so ago.

Rather not, as most of the three albums the Adderley Brothers recorded for Savoy in 1955 are compiled on this available 2-CD-set.

I don't know whether a court of law would regard this as legally obscure, but it certainly deserves to be more widely known - Kenny Clarke's 1955 album Bohemia Afer Dark. A CD was released on Japanese Savoy ten years or so ago. An outstanding swing-meets-hard bop line-up including the Adderley brothers. Listen out for some sublime Jerome Richardson flute solos.

Huh. And I've got the darn thing filed under "Adderley." Good album though.

Edited by BruceH

Akira Sakata's Fisherman's.com

Akira Sakata on sax, Hamid Drake on drums, Bill Laswell on bass and Pete Cosey on guitar, on his first release (as far as I know) since Miles' 70's releases. I really dig this disc. It's not too out and gets a really nice groove going. Sort of a cross between a typical Laswell production and Dark Magus.

23_Fisherman.jpg

Edited by John B

• 1 year later...