• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just came across this album description:

"One night in December 2010, a Moscow audience gathered to witness these three men as they worked in concert to raise a monument. Like the world's great devotional edifices their spire of sound reaches skyward, and like all spires everywhere it is intended as a probe into the heavens, a beacon and a call, an antenna. Like so many towers, theirs is equipped with a lightning rod to steal electricity from the sky and bury it in the earth. They are harnessing natural forces, bringing the skies closer."

Quite dreadful and quite unhelpful as musical description.

Edited to remove the name of the writer, which is not material here I think.

Edited by Leeway

I just came across this album description:

"One night in December 2010, a Moscow audience gathered to witness these three men as they worked in concert to raise a monument. Like the world's great devotional edifices their spire of sound reaches skyward, and like all spires everywhere it is intended as a probe into the heavens, a beacon and a call, an antenna. Like so many towers, theirs is equipped with a lightning rod to steal electricity from the sky and bury it in the earth. They are harnessing natural forces, bringing the skies closer."

Quite dreadful and quite unhelpful as musical description.

Edited to remove the name of the writer, which is not material here I think.

WTF?!? It says nothing about the music. :rofl:

Edited by Jazz Nut

Has anyone discovered what "accessible" means?

According to Yanow on AMG:

One of the most accessible of all jazz pianists, Gene Harris' soulful style (influenced by Oscar Peterson and containing the blues-iness of a Junior Mance) was immediately likable and predictably excellent.

The former Gene Harris Fanatic has no trouble understanding what Yanow is saying.

• 1 month later...

Actually heard the ultimate 'American-college-kid-with-backwards-baseball-cap' term 'Awesome' used yesterday on BBC Radio 3, in a review of a passage from Walton's 'Belshazzar's Feast' (by a man in a suit and tie, of course). I knew the introduction of phone-ins, e-mails and rundowns of the top classical top 20 on the Radio 3 breakfast show augured the collapse of civilisation.

Otherwise, 'spiritual' is the one that drives me nuts! 'It was a truly spiritual performance.'

Edited by A Lark Ascending