Red Holloway: Coast to Coast

Matthew

Red Holloway - Coast to Coast (click to buy)

499081.jpg

Just listened to this and it is a great cd. Red Holloway and Frank Wess are both on tenors, with Dr. Lonnie Smith (organ), Melvin Sparks (guitar), and Paul Humphrey (drum) rounding out the quintet. Just straight ahead, righteous, great jazz. This easily could have just been on of those by-the numbers sessions, but, thankfully, everyone is in peak form. Dr. Lonnie Smith is especially great is keeping the groove going in a very light, but funky way. He was the suprise for me on this disk, as I've never been overly impressed with him before (I don't have too much of him). Plays in a tasteful, understated way, but he keeps Sparks and Humphrey, dead center in the pocket. Holloway and Wess blow great, and complimemt each in a wonderful manner. In fact, all the solos on this cd are first-class in every respect. As an added plus, RVG is manning the boards for the recording, making the sound primo in every sense. So, if you love organ jazz, straight ahead jazz, tenor battles, or just music, buy this cd, you won't go wrong. It might be traditional jazz, but as Heywood Broun said: "There is still a kick in style, and tradition carries a nasty wallop." And that is what "Coast to Coast" has in abundance -- style and a nasty wallop!

This one looks really, REALLY good to me. Glad to hear the nice report. I ordered mine from CD Universe and should be getting it by the end of the week I hope.

Thank God that Bob Porter is still around to get these kinds of sessions out on the market. W/o him I doubt we'd be getting this kind of great music from vets like Red and Frank who dig riding with the b/3. A few standards, a blues, ballad....nothing mind blowing. Just good playing. I love this sort of thing. We need more of this feel good music in life. :tup

Just got this today. GET IT!!!!!

This is some great stuff. And it got me to thinking what a shame it is we don't get more of this from these guys. As healthy as the organ scene is now (and it is very healthy in my estimation), these are the cats that can REALLY play this stuff. Paul Humphries, Melvin Sparks....Red, Frank...and Lonnie. You know, they're all playing better than ever.

Also the SOUND of this one is great. RVG did all the recording, mixing, editing and mastering (24). And he did a WONDERFUL job. It has a touch too much lowend at times imho, but otherwise is fantastic.

I'm so glad Rudy, Bob Porter and this band is still around, working and making things that sound as great in 2003 as they did in 1964. This ranks right up there with many of the best Prestige organ sides imho.

Get it if you can. I want to see these guys still financially able to continue this great work. And that can only happen with some SALES damn it~! :D

I just picked this up, and I have to echo the posts so far on this thread ... this session is so greasy, it might just slide right out of your CD player!

I seriously have to say it is one of the best new releases I have heard this year. To think these gentlemen, who are well into their "golden years" (isn't Frank Wess in his 80s?), can still lay down grooves like this is very comforting.

Thanks to all involved in this milestone (no pun intended!), and a big thank you to Fantasy for releasing it!

I second Soul Stream's words: buy this if at all possible, and let these cats lay down some more grooves for another disc!

Holy cow, YES!!!! Keep That Groove Goin' is all sorts of outstanding!!! That's why I'm so excited about this new Holloway disc.

I heard "Go Red Go" on the radio on the way to work one morning, and had it ordered by the end of the day.

I am so glad they still make records like this these days!

That MONSTER of a cd was called: Keep That Groove Going, and, boy, did they ever! "Go Red Go" is something that you have to hear to believe -- it will blast you out of your chair completely! Yeah, I kind of like it. :excited::excited::tup:tup:party::party:

Yeah! Now that's what I call good driving music. Lately, I've been seeing Keep That Groove Going for budget prices, but it's one of those rare discs that's actually WORTH 17 or 18 bucks new. It also proves that the shopworn concept of the "tenor battle" blowing album is quite viable in this day and age if the tenorists involved are dedicated to making actual music! I'll be looking for Coast to Coast. :tup

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

Glad Matthew upped this thread. "Coast to coast" is a great album

BUT

It seems to have been the last. The only Fantasy artist who seems to have recorded since Concord took over is Sonny Rollins.

What's happened? My guess is that Concord has sacked everyone who worked for Fantasy, which is now simply going to be mined for its catalogue.

(I hate Concord - but you knew that, didn't you?)

MG

Glad Matthew upped this thread. "Coast to coast" is a great album

BUT

It seems to have been the last. The only Fantasy artist who seems to have recorded since Concord took over is Sonny Rollins.

What's happened? My guess is that Concord has sacked everyone who worked for Fantasy, which is now simply going to be mined for its catalogue.

(I hate Concord - but you knew that, didn't you?)

MG

As a Massachusetts town, I quite like Concord. As a label, well....

Funny, I pulled this one out yesterday for my trip to Houston. I've always dug this one a lot, Lonnie's killing and Melvin Sparks is just badass. The twin tenors of Plas and Red...well...they don't make 'em like that anymore. Avalon is burning. Lonnie makes everything sound like THAT was the way it was meant to be. I love hearing him on standards. He's pushed so much in the funk catagory on his own albums these days, that when he does a sideman recording such as this, I'm always "all ears."