Enrico Rava and Stefano Bollani - The Third Man

GA Russell

Enrico Rava and Stefano Bollani have a new duet album out called The Third Man.

The title track is not the Anton Karas song.

This is my first Rava album. I loved Bollani's album Piano Solo which came out last year.

TTK doesn't like me to use the word "dark" :) , so I'll say that it is very melancholy throughout. Three of the songs have hummable melodies. The others sound like two very talented musicians noodling.

It doesn't swing. Lovers of soul jazz aren't going to like it. But it is very pleasant to have in the background or late at night with the lights low. Bollani plays like a classical musician here.

It's unique as far as I know. I'm not aware of another trumpet and piano duet jazz album. The mood would be significantly different if bass and drums were present.

Now that BMG/Your Music is carrying ECM again, I will definitely recommend it when they get ahold of it, because at their bargain prices it is definitely worthwhile to own a one of a kind album. Those of you who can't wait or live outside the US will enjoy it as well.

Guest Bill Barton

...It's unique as far as I know. I'm not aware of another trumpet and piano duet jazz album. The mood would be significantly different if bass and drums were present...

This sounds like an album that I'd enjoy. I'll definitely be keeping my eyes open for a copy. Regarding "unique": Satoko Fujii & Natsuki Tamura released an absolutely gorgeous CD using this instrumentation in 2007, In Krakow, In November. It's certainly not a common format. In fact, I can't think of another one off the top of my head, unless you reach back to the Oscar Peterson duos on Pablo with Diz, etc., which are obviously in a very different mood from what you describe.

[

It's unique as far as I know. I'm not aware of another trumpet and piano duet jazz album.

Not quite a damning statement but if I not only knew that little but also hadn't even made an attempt to check, I'd lie low with the categorical remarks. Also, while it's not an album, one of the most famous recordings in jazz is a trumpet-piano duo -- Louis Armstrong and Earl Hines's "Weather Bird." Also, there is whole series of a trumpet-piano duo albums with Oscar Peterson and others -- Roy Eldridge, Dizzy Gillespie, etc. And Basie, also under Norman Granz's aegis on Pablo, did a few, I think.

This one looks interesting, so it's going on my list.

But as Bill and Pepe said, there are other trumpet/piano duets, including this Martial Solal/Dave Douglas, which is very good:

h22777e1tkg.jpg

Yes, gosh it has been too long since I've listened to that Douglas-Solal. I'll be cuing it up today. Thanks.

Both "Third Man" and "Krakow" sound great. Fujji has put out some beautiful music, including the recent "Minamo" with violinist Carla Kilhstedt, but that's an entirely different animal of free improvisation.

Now that BMG/Your Music is carrying ECM again, I will definitely recommend it when they get ahold of it, because at their bargain prices it is definitely worthwhile to own a one of a kind album. Those of you who can't wait or live outside the US will enjoy it as well.

Two additional comments here, the more I think about it.

1. I've read on this board a few times that BMG (and Columbia House) sales don't generate renevue for the artists/labels - in that sense they're kind of like promos. If you're reviewing these discs for ECM, I'd guess ECM's goal is to generate sales/revenue from your review, and that's why you're getting the free promo copy? It kind of goes against this"agreement" to recommend people wait and buy the disc from BMG then. I wouldn't share your review with ECM, I guess.

2. BMG doesn't carry all ECM releases, so there's no guarantee that they'll get this one anyway. And I'd hope that people outside the U.S. would enjoy this release as much as people in the U.S. - why wouldn't they? Not sure I understand that comment.

It's unique as far as I know. I'm not aware of another trumpet and piano duet jazz album. The mood would be significantly different if bass and drums were present.

You'll want to find this earlier album by the pair:

e5_7.JPG

I'd also recommend the quintet date they did at the same festival:

41TD9HQ3GWL._AA240_.jpg

Looking forward to seeing these two in April when they play locally.

Incidentally, try and hear them outside of ECM. I think you'll hear something a little different - warmer, less serious.

I've read on this board a few times that BMG (and Columbia House) sales don't generate renevue for the artists/labels - in that sense they're kind of like promos...

Aggie, I believe that is incorrect.

When I joined BMG in 1997, there was a website (don't remember the URL) that was devoted to all things about the two record clubs. The website was very credible.

It said that the artists receive 50% of their normal royalties on albums sold for a price, but none for albums given by the clubs "free".

My conclusion was that when the BMG offer is "Buy one, get two free", the artist for the one gets his royalty, but the artists for the two do not. But when the offer is "Buy one, get unlimited $1.99", all artists get their royalties.

Since Your Music never offers a disc for free, all artists receive their 50% royalty. That's how I understand it.

However, that was in 1997. Perhaps the arrangement is different now.

Guest Bill Barton

Another good trumpet-piano disc is Portraits in Ivory and Brass by Jack Walrath and Larry Willis on the Mapleshade label. As I recall there are a couple of tracks with Steve Novosel on bass but the majority is duo. I'll have to haul this one out of the stacks soon and give it a listen - it's been awhile. Thanks for reminding me of it!

...If you're reviewing these discs for ECM, I'd guess ECM's goal is to generate sales/revenue from your review, and that's why you're getting the free promo copy? It kind of goes against this"agreement" to recommend people wait and buy the disc from BMG then. I wouldn't share your review with ECM, I guess.

Aggie, you think I'm a shill for the record companies??!!! :lol: Whose side do you think I'm on?

All of my contacts know that I am just a regular guy who spends his evenings listening to jazz instead of watching television. My arrangement with them is that they send me copies of new releases, and if I like one I post my thoughts about it and give the guys here a heads up on something they might like.

My contacts know that I will be candid with my friends here on the board. They also know that I won't spend the effort to review records I don't like. That's what professional reviewers get paid for.

In my opinion, if a record company doesn't want me to recommend buying it from Your Music, it shouldn't let Your Music have it in the first place. That's not my problem. My friends here and I (as you well know) do a lot of shopping at Your Music. People here are always speculating about what Blue Note RVGs will be carried by Your Music. Why shouldn't I do the same about ECMs?

As I suggested above: 1) At the Your Music price of $6.99, I consider getting this album a no brainer just because it is so different from every other album in my collection. And 2) If you can't wait, you won't feel that you have been burned by paying the regular CD Universe price.

Finally, your suggestion that I not share the review with ECM floors me! It's as if I have something to hide. I don't go through life saying things about people I don't want them to know about; and I don't go through life looking over my shoulder to make sure that everyone approves of my actions. That's no way to live!

1) Aggie, you think I'm a shill for the record companies??!!! :lol: Whose side do you think I'm on?

2) All of my contacts know that I am just a regular guy who spends his evenings listening to jazz instead of watching television.

1) That be the question.

2) How many "regular guys" have "contacts"?

1) Aggie, you think I'm a shill for the record companies??!!! :lol: Whose side do you think I'm on?

2) All of my contacts know that I am just a regular guy who spends his evenings listening to jazz instead of watching television.

...2) How many "regular guys" have "contacts"?

Larry, we've been through this before, in the summer of '06 I think. You must have missed it.

I have a number of times recommended to the board that anyone interested do what I did.

I reviewed CDs for AAJ for a while, and got on a few record companies' mailing lists. After a while I tired of that and stopped. I told the record companies that I would no longer be reviewing for AAJ, and that I would be doing most of my posting on the O board, if they were interested. Some were.

As far as I know, every "regular guy" here who hasn't been banned (!) is welcome to review records for AAJ. I think a lot of people here would enjoy it, and I recommend it.

GA -

I certainly don't have a problem with you getting promo discs and reviewing them here! I like to here sincere opinions about music (rather than shameless promoting).

My comment was directed more at the issue of recommending yourmusic in your review, than the review itself. I just wouldn't think the artist/label would appreciate that, that's why I suggested not sharing it with ECM - not your opinion of the music itself. What you write is up to you though.

I'm one of those guys that buys at yourmusic, so I don't have a philosophical problem with music clubs.

I told the record companies that I would no longer be reviewing for AAJ, and that I would be doing most of my posting on the O board, if they were interested. Some were.

No offense intended, but the above part may come dangerously close to shilling in some people's opinions.

I personally don't have a problem with it, but some might. In such situations, the most "scrupulously correct" course would be to disclose that you obtained the discs as free promos; that's what I'd do, but then again I don't receive promos... ;)

In such situations, the most "scrupulously correct" course would be to disclose that you obtained the discs as free promos; that's what I'd do, but then again I don't receive promos... ;)

TD, I don't have a problem with your suggestion, but I wonder why I should be the first to do this.

We have three illustrious jazz critics posting regularly here - Chris Albertson, Larry Kart and Allen Lowe. To my knowledge, none has ever mentioned that an album he was discussing was a promo copy or was paid for. garthsj used to be a jazz disc jockey, and he has mentioned that he used to receive a great many promos. As far as I know, he's never mentioned whether an album he liked was a promo or paid for either.

I'll be happy to play by the same rules as everyone else. I am troubled by the suggestion that I would buffalo my friends here for the sake of getting free CDs.

Only promos I've gotten since the late 1980s, when I left my Chicago Tribune gig, are from Arbors. (Promos go to the person who holds the gig; when I left, they went to my successor.) I paid a visit to a Randy Sandke-led Arbors recording session a few years ago (Randy is an old friend -- in fact, I'll be having dinner with him tomorrow before he plays at a Chicago-area club), and Dan Morgenstern, who also was there, asked if I got Arbors things. I said no, and Dan said that he'd ask Matt Domber to put me on their list. Don't think I've said anything here about an Arbors recording, but I guess I would if I was moved to, perhaps with a disclaimer. It just hasn't come up.

Oh, yes. Chuck has been kind enough to send me Uptown things that he has worked on, and I think I have said things about them. But how could you not say something about the rare/early Mingus and Bird and Diz at Town Hall CDs? Those are history.

In such situations, the most "scrupulously correct" course would be to disclose that you obtained the discs as free promos; that's what I'd do, but then again I don't receive promos... ;)

TD, I don't have a problem with your suggestion, but I wonder why I should be the first to do this.

We have three illustrious jazz critics posting regularly here...

Good point; there are several lesser-known critics as well, and I don't recall seeing many (none actually come to mind right away, though I can't swear never to have seen any) disclaimers.

Didn't mean to suggest anything to you. I'd throw in disclaimers, but used to work on Wall St. and am compulsive in that regard...

Guest Bill Barton

This may be a minority opinion, but personally I don't think that because a disc was received as a promo is even germane to the discussion. The music is the same, whether you bought it, traded for it, downloaded it from eMusic or received it as a promo.

This may be a minority opinion, but personally I don't think that because a disc was received as a promo is even germane to the discussion. The music is the same, whether you bought it, traded for it, downloaded it from eMusic or received it as a promo.

That's my opinion too, Bill. And I think it's the majority opinion. We're all supposed to be friends here. I think disclaimers are for people who don't trust each other.