cds you sold or traded but wished you hadn't

connoisseur series500

I gotta be the king of this.

How many times have you sold or traded or given away a cd that you wish you hadn't?

I've done this so many times, it's sickening. Why do I do it?

I think it has to do with guilt because I spend so much money on this addiction. I try to be as ruthless as possible with my collection and if something doesn't show immediate promise, I try to trade it or sell it in order to free up money to buy something else.

I got rid of Grant Green, "Blues for Lou," then bought it back again and liked it. I did the same for several other sessions.

Right now my biggest regret was in selling my copy of Andrew Hill, "Lift Every Voice," The voices just didn't hit me or I would get strange looks while pumping this out in high volume in my car with the windows down. :lol: On the other hand, the music was awesome. Gotta get that one back. I am just not willing to pay $14-15 for it. I'll wait till it turns up cheap in a store somewhere.

I also regret getting rid of Bobby Hutcherson, "Live in Montreux." Not easy to get that one back. I often put music on to help me sleep, and I was feeling rather sick and feverish one day and put this on while I went to bed. I nodded off and was jerked awake with that one loud piano solo where the pianist was slamming on his instrument. That did it!! :g It gave me nightmares listening to it afterwards. I really was feeling bad that day. Still, I should probably go and get that one back.

On the other hand, I have gotten rid of several sessions then decided to go an buy them back and STILL did not like them! Examples here would be Jackie Mclean, "One Step Beyond" (I love "Destination Out" however--go figure) and Grachan Moncur, "Some Other Stuff." Gave those two tries and ended up getting rid of them twice!

This is for Jacknife: I DO NOT regret getting rid of Dodo! :lol:

Edited by connoisseur series500

Right now my biggest regret was in selling my copy of Andrew Hill, "Lift Every Voice," The voices just didn't hit me or I would get strange looks while pumping this out in high volume in my car with the windows down. :lol: On the other hand, the music was awesome. Gotta get that one back. I am just not willing to pay $14-15 for it. I'll wait till it turns up cheap in a store somewhere.

I have (or rather, at least had) two copies of "Lift Every Voice" on CD. I loaned one to a friend, who I think thought it was a gift - and now he's in Hong Kong for the next year, as his wife is now a dancer in the Honk Kong Ballet.

But if it turns out that I still have two of these, one is most certainly yours, Conn500. I'll try to take a look for it sometime over the next week or so.

Great disc, one that has grown and grown on me over the years.

Hell yeah, I've done this. At least something very similar. I used to have a lot of duplicates on lp that I had on cd. I was married to a woman at the time who really wanted me to downsize everything (OK, not everything ;) , but she convinced me to sell the lp's that I had on cd. I think back with a deep sense of mourning on the yard sale that we had, with many BN and other titles in a box for the pickin'. I don't think any were first pressings, but there sure were some Liberty's and such. I remember this one guy saying "Wow, there is some great stuff in here!" and looking at me funny :rfr . Well, I had :wub: this and :eye: that in my system, and compromised in the marraige. Now I feel more like this: :o:blink::wacko: .

I wish I hadn't gotten rid of Live at the Royal Festival Hall: John Mclaughlin Trio. I saw a re-release of it recently on another label with some crazy packaging and a price of over $20.

Also the BN Joe Henderson box set. Maybe Bad Brains' I against I. Not too much besides that though.

I can't say I've really done this. I've come close a few times and didn't pull the trigger and then later on (usually much later on, since it went back on the shelves), relistened and said "damn, I'm glad I didn't get rid of that." One of those which might fall into this category is McCoy Tyner's 13th House. I didn't like it the first time I heard it but now that some time has passed, I'm going to relisten to it before ebaying (a new verb!) it.

I'm loathe to get rid of anything I don't respond to instantly. Some of the sessions that I didn't really care for when I first listened to them are now among my all-time favorites . I guess I simply wasn't ready for them at the time. I've noticed that on certain things--the really challenging pieces--it takes me a few listens over a long period of time before I "get it."

Now that I've noticed this I actually pay more attention to music I where my initial instinct is to resist....

Dumbest thing I ever did was to sell the very first LP by Todd Rundgren's group Nazz. A good record, now worth a fair amount of money. I got it for free from a guy who worked at a radio station that wouldn't play it. I sold it for (God this hurts) $1.00. If I had a nickel for every time I've kicked myself in the butt over that one, I could probably buy several copies.

Up over and out.

This is for Jacknife: I DO NOT regret getting rid of Dodo!

Damn, you didn't even give me a chance to give that dagger in your back a little twist! :g

The only one I can think of regretting trading, as Conn you well know, is Three Sounds - Black Orchid but I sure was happy to get it back. I now have an extra copy of it just in case I get the urge to trade it again!

Long sad story, but a year ago I had to trade in a lot of cds, and the ones that REALLY hurt, and I'm still kicking myself over: All of Jimmy Smith's BN cds that I had -- please don't ask how many :( . Thankfully, I'm now in a situation where I'm rebuilding my Jimmy Smith collection. In fact, I was able to get the Jimmy Smith Mosaic lp set off of ebay at good price last week. So, that has really brought great joy in my life, and man, the sound off those Qlps are great.

Sonny Criss, CRISSCRAFT (but it's since become available again)

All my old Felt LPs

The LP of My Bloody Valentine's ECSTASY AND WINE (taped it, but stupid, stupid! I think I was starving that week or something)

Still hanging onto...

the original 45s of Husker Du's "Eight Miles High" and the Jesus & Mary Chain's "Upside Down/Vegetable Man." (I think I pretty much learned my lesson by the time I got into jazz...)

Edited by ghost of miles

I've bought Oblique and Total Eclipse for $10 each — sold them for triple that — only to regret it and finally get them back at the same store a few months later for $10 apiece again. Man, life is good.

Now this is a deal - original purchase of $20, sell for $60, re-purchase for $20. This means you're up $20, AND you own Oblique and Total Eclipse!

I want some of this action!!! :D