Gil Melle - Gil's Guests

JohnS

The issue of Melle's Prestige albums on Fresh Sound appears to clear up the personnel on the three previously unissued dates. Fresh Sound give the following-

Art Farmer, Hal McKusick, Seldon Powell, Gil Melle, Teddy Charles, George Duvivier, Shadow Wilson.

Lord lists the personnel for the January 18 , 1957 tracks as : Art Farmer (tp) Hal McKusick (as) Zoot Sims (ts) Gil Melle (bar) Teddy Charles (vib) Joe Cinderella (g) Vinnie Burke (b) Ed Thigpen (d)

Lord appends this explanatory footnote :

"The above personnel listing courtesy of Noal Cohen from Rudy Van Gelder historian Dan Skea. Following from Dan Skea: "A few days ago I spoke with Gil Melle at some length in seeking answers to some questions about RVG. Among the things he told me was that there are errors in Ruppli's Prestige discography concerning his session of January 18, 1957. He says the personnel listed is partially wrong, and that Teddy Charles is on the date, although no vibes player is listed. The trumpet is Art Farmer, NOT Donald Byrd; the alto is Hal McKusick, NOT Phil Woods (Gil says he never recorded with Phil in his life); and Zoot Sims is present on tenor, although no tenor is listed. Mel says he is especially upset about these mistakes because Teddy Charles was one of his heroes, and Zoot Sims was a close friend.""

Gil's Guests is my favorite Melle recording , for his writing , his playing , and for the supporting cast . Poor sound on a couple of tracks is the only blemish .

Lord lists the personnel for the January 18 , 1957 tracks as : Art Farmer (tp) Hal McKusick (as) Zoot Sims (ts) Gil Melle (bar) Teddy Charles (vib) Joe Cinderella (g) Vinnie Burke (b) Ed Thigpen (d)

"The above personnel listing courtesy of Noal Cohen from Rudy Van Gelder historian Dan Skea. Following from Dan Skea: "A few days ago I spoke with Gil Melle at some length in seeking answers to some questions about RVG. Among the things he told me was that there are errors in Ruppli's Prestige discography concerning his session of January 18, 1957. He says the personnel listed is partially wrong, and that Teddy Charles is on the date, although no vibes player is listed. The trumpet is Art Farmer, NOT Donald Byrd; the alto is Hal McKusick, NOT Phil Woods (Gil says he never recorded with Phil in his life); and Zoot Sims is present on tenor, although no tenor is listed. Mel says he is especially upset about these mistakes because Teddy Charles was one of his heroes, and Zoot Sims was a close friend.""

Gil's Guests is my favorite Melle recording , for his writing , his playing , and for the supporting cast . Poor sound on a couple of tracks is the only blemish .

That's the one I had. I believe though that Zoot Sims is an unlikely choice. Not sure it sounds like him. Somehow Seldon Powell seems more likely to me. Any other views.

That's the one I had. I believe though that Zoot Sims is an unlikely choice. Not sure it sounds like him. Somehow Seldon Powell seems more likely to me. Any other views.

John , I would have thought that Melle's recollection re: the tenor player settles the matter , especially as the aural evidence ( to my ears ) doesn't contradict it . That same aural evidence does however make me think Lord is wrong about Cinderella being on the January '57 tracks . As for Duvivier and Wilson , they can't be ruled out I suppose , since they recorded Quadrama with Melle just three months later .

John , I would have thought that Melle's recollection re: the tenor player settles the matter , especially as the aural evidence ( to my ears ) doesn't contradict it . That same aural evidence does however make me think Lord is wrong about Cinderella being on the January '57 tracks . As for Duvivier and Wilson , they can't be ruled out I suppose , since they recorded Quadrama with Melle just three months later .

I listened to this session once again - I'm not sure about the tenor player.

The bassist does not sound like Vinnie Burke to me, who had a thin, almost cello-like attack, Duvivier seems plausible.

Shadow Wilson - could be. The cymbal swing could be his - Thigpen sounded a little different.

• 10 months later...

As this topic is on the subject of Gil Melle's Prestige recordings I may as well post the question here, does anyone have this or the recordings that it contains?

51uE6wSkjyL._SS500_.jpg

According to AMG it's compiled from the albums Melle Plays Primitive Modern, Quadrama, Gil's Guests, and three extra cuts from an unfinished LP.

What's it like as I have no Melle but I am very curious as he sounds like such a cool guy. :cool: :cool: :cool:

i like Gil Melle a lot :D and have always liked him. i have the Prestige sides compilation, which is quite cool, a Blue Note he recorded, which is also good and my favourite of them all, the volume, double CD IIRC, on his 5000 series recordings. It was a Conn and belonged to that fantastic 5000 series reissues. this is the Gil Melle i liked most, with baritone sax, sometimes guitar... remember that he also designed covers for Blue Note in a superb way. i like his covers specially. IIRC the cover of Urbie Green's album from the 5000 series, which i have as a TOJJ vinyl, is his. :tup

All the Melle Blue Note and Prestige sides are worth having. Thoughtful and interesting arrangements and excelent solos. Highly recommended.

Even "Mindscapes"? :D

I forgot 'Midscape' was on Blue Note. I wouldn't want to hear 'Waterbirds' again. Never heard Tome VI but I dont think I want to.

Melle had a website where he listed the correct personnel. The website appears to have disappeared.

He actually has a MySpace page though, with a great quote from the man himself;

"Virtually every innovation in electronic music was made by me...an awesome statement, but true."

It's stuff like this that first piqued my interest in him. And the fact that the guitarist he seemed to favour on most of his recordings was called Joe Cinderella.

Cinderella is still living in New Jersey - I spoke to him about 7-8 years ago -

Melle had great taste in guitarists -- Tal Farlow, Cinderella, and Louis Mecca, the latter two little known other than for their work with Melle. In fact, Melle needed such guitarists; his writing for them in his piano-less groups being quite novel and demanding, though perhaps Cinderella and Mecca brought some of their own ideas into play there.

Some info on Lou Mecca (1927-2003):

http://www.guitarsite.com/newsletters/021118/3.shtml

http://classicjazzguitar.com/artists/artis...e.jsp?artist=40

http://classicjazzguitar.com/albums/artist...m.jsp?album=640

Be sure to check out the last link, which has a decent-sized clip from his solo on "Bernie's Tune" from his Blue Note album.

The Fresh Sound issue seems to clone these two:

41Q06CS6JPL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

41A3V3EWKVL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

available inexpensively on Amazon and elsewhere.

Indeed, Fresh sound cloned these two + QUADRAMA, with Cinderella, Duvivier and Wilson. + 3 numbers from an unfinished Prestige 12" LP with Farmer, McKusick, Seldon Powell, Teddy Charles, Duvivier and Wilson.

Wonderful music!

j.