Jazz musicians with long recording careers

The Magnificent Goldberg

Another in the same vein, inspired By GA Russel's post responding to Chas' question

Also, if the artist is destined to have a long recording career, he is likely to move up to one of the majors eventually, at least for a time.

I wonder how many musicians have had long recording careers but NEVER recorded as a leader or co-leader for a major.

Some definitions

1 Timescale? In order to avoid the multiplicity of companies operating in the twenties and thirties, I'm thinking of musicians whose recording careers STARTED after 1936, when independent record companies began to be formed again after the Depression.

2 Timescale 2? A long recording career is one that lasts twenty years or more and prodices at least 15 albums (or the equivalent in 78s and albums).

3 What is a major?

Victor and its successors (RCA, BMG etc)

ARC and its successors (Columbia etc)

Decca and its successors (MCA etc) (including the original parent company in UK)

EMI and its successors (including Capitol post 1956)

Philips and its successors

Polydor and its successors

Warner Bros and its successors (inc Atlantic after 1973)

MGM and its successors (including Verve after 1960)

Mercury and its successors

ABC/Impulse

Several people I thought would be included made an album or two for a major that one tends to forget about - Houston Person made two for Mercury, or he'd be in the list. Sonny Stitt made two for Impulse and a couple for Verve when it was owned by MGM, but otherwise, he'd be in the list too. So would Jug, but for those same two Verve albums. And Lou Donaldson made one album for Columbia. First one I thought of that I think is right is

Al Grey

then

Jimmy Forrest (naturally comes to mind)

Nat Adderley

Don Patterson

John Patton

Hank Crawford

Jack McDuff

Etta Jones

Johnny "Hammond" Smith

Richard "Groove" Holmes

Red Holloway

Harold Mabern

Rhoda Scott

Red Garland

Horace Parlan

I'm not sure about

Lester Young

Billie Holiday

That'll do for a starter. I'm sure I haven't plumbed the depths.

MG

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not Billie Holiday who recorded for both Decca and Columbia.

John Coltrane?

Under her own name? I thought those records were made with other leaders like Teddy Wilson. If not, I sit corrected.

Coltrane recorded for Impulse. It may have been RUN as if it was an indie, but it wasn't.

MG

Teddy Edwards

Buck Hill

Houston Person

Von Freeman (his Atlantic debut is from 1973)

Dave Holland

Teddy Edwards would have gone in but for the fact that he made some albums for French Verve, which were released in the US on Antilles, in the eighties.

Houston Person recorded two albums for Mercury in the mid seventies.

Forgot about Von Freeman - shouldn't have.

Dunno about Buck Hill. Good call that.

MG

Von Freeman made half a record for CBS/Columbia.

You mean, he was on one side of something, like the one he did with Gator? Or he never finished it and it wasn't released?

MG

One side of an lp with son Chico. The other side was a Marsalis family band.

Ah, so he's out. Amazing.

MG

MG, Groove Holmes returned to PJ in 1968 when it was owned by Liberty. I would consider that to be a major in those days.

I doubt it. It was still owned by the guys who the Chipmunks were named after. Transamerica's acquisition is probably the changeover time.

From the consumer's point of view, here in the US Transamerica's acquisition didn't change anything.

You started the thread, so I guess you get to define what a major is! :) But as a shopper in record stores, I would call Liberty a major, just as I would call Capitol a major before its acquisition by EMI.

BN is not a "major"? I'm specifically wondering about John Patton being on the list.

Well, here's two:

Horace Tapscott

Billy Harper

Blue Note until it was sold to Liberty epitomized the idea of "independent" - small, not always having great distribution, and at the mercy of those distributors to pay for the product. And John Patton recorded several times after his Blue Note years ended - his Nilva album was the focus of one discussion recently as it appears to be set for a reissue, and there were two recordings for the Japanese DIW label.

Edit to say D'OH! I got confused and thought I was in the other thread - yes, I'd say Big John qualifies.

Edited by Dan Gould

Some other suggestions:

George Lewis

Walter Bishop Jr.

Kenny Drew

Frank Foster

Frank Wess

Clifford Jordan

Harold Land

Howard McGhee

Charles McPherson

Art Pepper

George Wallington

Don Ewell

Lu Watters

I'm thinking that there must be many trad jazz musicians who qualify. They often recorded quite a bit over the years for smaller labels. Danish Papa Bue may be one example.

[Deleted from the list: Jaki Byard, Barry Harris, Tal Farlow, Duke Pearson & Red Rodney]

Edited by Swinging Swede