Monk Live In Paris on Thelonious/Hyena

jazzbo

Okay, I have the Paris material as an RTE, but it sounds better here, it really is a kickass 52 minutes of live Monk, everyone on and playing with spirit.

And the kicker is a dvd included of Monk in Oslo. Only saw the first selection of the show so far, but it's AMAZINGLY GOOD in all ways.

More Monk! YEAH BUDDY! I believe there is another in Dorn's reissue of the family's material due out soon. . . .

The DVD is fantastic. I'd never seen film of Monk before and it was amazing to watch his hands and fingers play. He has a distinctive sound and I've always had difficulty imagining how he creates his sound. The way he plays looks unorthodox (It is, isn't it?) but the results are obviously wondrous.

There is a typo on the DVD - they got the year wrong, listing it as 1956 instead of 1966. And I noticed a few typos in the liner notes.

• 3 weeks later...

I just received this set from CD Universe, and was only able to sample it for the technical quality.

The sound on the CD is very good (mono), as most of the french radio "Europe 1" recordings, now available on Delta Music 2CD sets.

The picture quality on the DVD is also rather good. A funny thing is that is has not been taken from original archive tapes but must have been recorded recently from the french TV station M6, which in a weekly jazz program "Jazz 6" often showed rare historical recordings. The M6 logo has been left on the DVD picture :huh: No credits as to the source in the notes. From the picture quality it could even be a home VHS recording. The sound is typical TV quality. All in all very enjoyable performance.

I have some VHS tapes with 1960's jazz concerts (Dexter Gordon, Coleman Hawkins) that I taped from M6 in the mid 90's. I also have one with a Monk TV performance from Paris May 13, 1966, which would have fitted well on the DVD.

Edited by Claude