BFT 55 Discussion

Stereojack

#1 - Hm, sounds familiar... Hawk w/Roy?

Hawk, yes. Not with Roy although I do love that Opera House album (both versions)!

#5 - Under the influence of Prez.

Most certainly, but not always!

#8 - Ah, it's from Sonny Clark's "Leapin' and Lopin'", isn't it? ("Voodoo", isn't it? There's a great cover version on the Zorn Clark Memorial album on Soul Note!

I'll admit that it was the Zorn version that sent me back to appreciate the original some years ago.

#9 - it's by one of the greatest of them all, Tadd Dameron - "If You Could See Me Now", right?

A number of people have identified the tune, but nobody's come up with the trumpet. I'll admit, this is a tricky one.

#11 - Is this some boot/audience recording? That must have been a smokin' set!

Yes (audience), and it was!

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10: Uh, Warne Marsh in an atypical context.... ?!? Dated but enjoyable! A really interesting arrangement, especially that horn pileup at the end. A websearch suggests it could be a Clare Fischer big band disc. Pity about the poor sound.

Finally, somebody recognizes Warne! Correct identification of the band as well. :tup The album was originally issued on Atlantic. A few years later it was reissued on Discovery, and in the notes, Fischer claimed that the sound was vastly improved over the original release. This is taken from a Koch CD, which probably used the original Atlantic master.

15: "El Gaucho" in a multipiano version. I never understand the point of these things, sorry--sounds like a mess. I think this format only works with stride piano (where there's a very firm groove to ride) or avantgarde settings *where players can work independently)--with the more idiosyncratic rhythmic sensibilities of postbop players, the result is just a lot of clashing ideas. This is surely the Danko/Lightsey duet album.

You got it, Nate. I like this album a lot, but we are all entitled to our opinions. :cool:

Thanks for the music SJ!

And thanks for the insightful comments!

Well, I picked up that Danko/Lightsey album of Shorter compositions, right there at Stereo Jack's in 2005, with Jack telling me how much he liked this album.

Why do I always manage to forget these sorts of clues when a BFT comes around? Same thing happened with Marty's BFT. :crazy:

Fwiw, and in my defense, I didn't dig the album as much as Jack said I would. :beee:

:g

SteroJack,

Great mix and I have to say I am humbled by how many no clues as to what it was on it.

A couple quick thoughts.

Track 1. I knew it was Hawk but didn't know where it came from, looking to pick it up when the answer comes.

Track 2. No idea but I thought since its a smallish big ensemble with a latin tinge it could have been Gerald Wilson but I know thats not right.

Track 3. Jazz vocals are not my thing so this didn't connect with me but I love track 13 and curious to find out who the female singer is on that one.

Track 4. Love bluesy Jazz but the 80's sounding production turns me off.

Track 5. Love it, no clue.

Everything is no clue (and I need to spin a few more times to comment on) until Track 8 which I own. Had to look it up to make sure as its been ages since I played which is a shame because he is one of my favorites.

Track 11. Great job on the recording. Must have been fun to watch. The track earlier from the vinyl and this one really adds to making the mix more personable and more enjoyable for the listener.

Track 15. One of my favorite Wayne Shorter tracks to play on the Piano, this is really fun to hear thanks for including it.

I will add some more comments when I have more time to spend with it.

Thanks again and looking forward to he answers.

Edited by WorldB3

Standard disclaimer: Haven't read yet, this is what I hear.

Jack, thanks for including me on this one. This is proving to be a great exercise for my ears.

Track #1: Hawk, for sure. I want to say Thad Jones on trumpet, but I'm far from confident on that one. Don't know the piano player -- hear pieces of lots of guys in there. No clue what the tune is. For some weird reason, drummer reminds me of Papa Jo, but I don't think it's him.

Track #2: This is fun. Soprano -- no idea. No question on the tenor... MAN! He's *so* baaaaad! I *think* Cannonball on alto. Pepper on bari. Soprano is going to piss me off. Almost sounds like Joe Henderson playing soprano, which is something I'm not aware that he ever did. Something Pete LaRoca-ish about the drums.

Track #3: Love this tune. Always hear Curtis Fuller on Meet the Jazztet when I hear this. No clue who this singer is. Recognize the alto, but can't place him... oh! That's Art Pepper. Arrangement is a touch stiff, but I'll guess Quincy Jones arrangement.

Track #4: Don't like the recording -- too compressed. First impressions of of alto player are that it's James Carter. Sound is more shrill than James to me, though. Almost like Bunky Green. Seems like they're going for an old, funky blues feel, but in a sterile, late-80's studio environment. It's not Bunky... not enough taste... not James, not enough chops. Maybe it's just me, but this has all the soul of Dasani water.

Track #5: Everything 4 lacked for me, this has in the first 11 seconds. Falling In Love With Love. Early impressions are that it's Oliver Nelson on tenor, but the low-end of the horn is too bold... Budd Johnson? No idea on the bone, but I'd say he's white. I'm sticking with Budd Johnson on tenor. Drums are confounding me... I'm leaning Roy Haynes at times, but on the straight feel... no. Very crisp snare sound -- almost like Philly Joe. Dunno.

Track #6: Tenor in the right channel sounds more modern. In fact, they both do, but they play with too much soul to be any of the "young lions". I think this is something Red Prysock (sp?) used to play. I think these guys are a generation removed from this. Not Buddy Tate or Jacquet, but still honest enough to get away with it. It's fun as hell. It has everything a James Carter/Josh Redman shootout lacks. Tenor in the left channel is very familiar. You've stumped me.

Track #7: Clifford Jordan on tenor. What a beautiful tone. Guy could throw away a bop line like it was Chopsticks. Awesome. Not sure who the alto is, but he's over his head following Clifford. Played a line almost like Strozier in there, but the tone is too bright to be FS... and this is modern. Is this maybe the record with Freddie Redd? Not sure on the trumpet, but I dig the hell out of him. Could that be Sickler? He always surprises me. Sounds like Ben Riley's touch on drums. I'm going to pull one out of my butt here; George Duvivier on bass?

Track #8: There you go. I remember this growing up. Charlie Rouse on tenor. Can't remember the name of this damned tune. Man... I'm positive it's Rouse, but it sounds like a Golson tune, and that's messing with. Maybe one of the sides with Howard McGee? Wait a minute... these phones are messing with me -- I know what that is. That's Sonny Clark's record, Leapin' and Lopin'. Billy Higgins... Tommy Turrentine... one of the standard BN bassists... I think Butch Warren. Forget which tune... I love Melody For C on that... and Deep in a Dream with Ike Quebec is great, too.

Track #9: If You Could See Me Now. Very brassy sound. Not a guy I know well. No idea. Seems like the tenor is somebody Lovano has listened to a lot -- very similar vibrato to what Joe uses.

Track #10: This is weird. Sounds very fusion-y, but I'd swear that's Warne Marsh on tenor. Sounds a bit like Faddis on trumpet, but not sure. Arrangement is very busy, like some of the Manuel De Sica stuff with the That Jones/Mel Lewis band. On second listen, I'm doubting the Marsh pick. I know the sound, but I think he's out of his element... could even pass for Charles Lloyd, but not sloppy enough... I'll stick with Marsh and take my beating. :D

Track #11: The sound is masking something... this sounds kind of studied to me. There's too much Coltrane influence in this. I'm not loving the guy's tone... seems kind of forced and a little sloppy. Guy can play his ass off and has listened a lot. But the story is not there, to my ear. This would be great to see live, but doesn't really pull it off on a recording. I'm going to say this is early Lovano. A-ha! Alan Dawson, so this *is* a private collection piece.

Track #12: No idea.

Track #13: Sounds like Yusef on tenor. Maybe Nancy Wilson on vocals.

Track #14: Vernell Fournier on drums. My first guess was Sonny Criss on alto, but I'm starting to lean more towards somebody like Gigi Gryce. Guy has sick bop chops. I'll stay with Criss, but I'm wrong.

Track #15: El Gaucho. Could be Stanley Cowell, but seems too busy for SC. I'll stick with Stanley, but there are two pianos. Not sure who the second might be... Kenny Barron?

Wow... this kicked my ass, Jack. Thanks for including me. Now to read and see how bad I suck. :D

Wow! Shocked to find out that was Moody. I knew the voice wasn't Lovano. I love Moody and have loved him every time I've seen him, but I really thought the horn player on that was struggling with both the concept and his horn, two claims I could never envision making about Moody. Seems I was right about Marsh after all. Well, I guess that at least earns me a towel to wipe the egg of the Moody mistake off my face. ;D

Track #5: Falling In Love With Love. Budd Johnson? No idea on the bone, but I'd say he's white.

Bingo for the tenor, Thom. Good call. You're wrong about the bone. :beee:

Track #7: Clifford Jordan on tenor. Is this maybe the record with Freddie Redd? Not sure on the trumpet, but I dig the hell out of him. Could that be Sickler? He always surprises me. Sounds like Ben Riley's touch on drums. I'm going to pull one out of my butt here; George Duvivier on bass?

Yes, yes, yes, yes, and yes! :tup

Track #8: That's Sonny Clark's record, Leapin' and Lopin'. Billy Higgins... Tommy Turrentine... one of the standard BN bassists... I think Butch Warren.

I didn't fool very many with this one, but I included it because I love it.

Track #10: I'd swear that's Warne Marsh on tenor.

It is. Trust your instincts!

Track #11: Alan Dawson, so this *is* a private collection piece.

It is.

Track #13: Sounds like Yusef on tenor. Maybe Nancy Wilson on vocals.

You're the first one to identify Yusef. It's not Nancy.

Track #14: Vernell Fournier on drums.

That's right.

Track #15: El Gaucho.

Yes!

Wow... this kicked my ass, Jack. Thanks for including me. Now to read and see how bad I suck. :D

Not at all - you did great, Thom!

Usual thanks & disclaimers in place PLUS a big tip o'the derby to Big Al for the CDR hookup (got it JUST last night) & a disclaimer that I'm borrowing my son's PC for this post, so I don't know if I'll get finished or not. Will keep it short wioth that in mind.

Otherwise...

TRACK ONE - Hawk & Thad, must be that Crown ting. Never have heard that, guess I need to, because this is right there. OUT-standing!

TRACK TWO - Gotta be that Pony Poindexter sax orgy side. On the one hand, I'd have rather heard fewer players at greater length, but on the other hand, the steady contrast of voices keeps the immediacy there kinda de facto. Either way, great writing, freat playing, great vibe, just all 'round greatness.

TRACK THREE - Took me a second, but...Johnny Mathis! With Gil! (?) Never have heard these, but now I got to. Heard of them though, and I'm thinking, yeah, Johnny Mathis, jazz singer, what the hell ever. But the cat deals. Kinda coy, but there's a place for that. And the chart, hey, those of us who pondered whether or not that was a Gil thing on the Jo Stafford YouTube, well...this is nice!

Except I went to post a AMG link to the album I thought it was on, and...that ain't it. So a search ensued, and....is this it? http://cdbaby.com/cd/davidpatrone

I like my first guess better. :g

Well, found a sample of that, and that's not eitehr, so Mathis/Evans on a Rare Collector's Item remains a possibility!

Whatever, I like it, and I suspect it's older than newer.

TRACK FOUR - Don't like this one so much. Not feeling it. Sorry.

TRACK FIVE - "Falling In Love With Love", Budd Johnson, RVG studio. That's all I can say with certainty. Here we go http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&a...10:kxfyxqlgldse Budd was a baaaaad man! All kinds of things going on is playing, so much music. I'd never noticed until now the similarity between his tone & Oliver Nelson's. Learn something every day, thank god!

This is beautiful.

TRACK SIX - "Go Red Go", the Arnett Cobb jam, but this ain't him (but his version w/Jaws will raise the dead and then swing them back to death!). One of these guys kinda sounds like an older Red Holloway, which I tend to groove on slightly less than a younger Red Holloway, but which is still a damn sight better than no Red Holloway at all. Both guys sound a little old, as in wiser but slower, which hey, I guess it's gotta be like that. But old or not, they're feelin' it, and so am I. Good stuff.

TRACK SEVEN - Clifford Jordan. Maybe from that larger ensemble album he did for Muse, the one with the lead sheet on the cover. Dizzy Reece & Pat Patrick, iirc. Or maybe not his date at all. But definitely him. The chart's a bit fussy, and he sounds a little "off" (just not fully engaged), so I'd file it under Good Idea That Shoulda Gone Better. But much love for all concerned anyways.

TRACK EIGHT - Classic. Always interesting to hear Rouse away from Monk from this time. Sheds light on a lot of things, I think. And yeah - CLASSIC!

TRACK NINE - "If You Could See Me Now"... you might be a little worried...soulful, sure, but sounds kinda almost out of control, like the cats usually a really together player but here he's more than a little loaded. VERY nice tenor, though.

I mean, I've not led a sterling lifestyle, if you know what I mean, but you hear somebody play like this, and it's kinda sad. Some guys, the lifestyle doesn't take a noticable "technical" toll, or at least they keep it together for recording. But this guy is so almost there that a little more sobriety, and those attacks wouldn't have been so "OOOPS" and stuff like that, and we could be talking a very fine performance here instead of what ultimately is a curiosity, at least for me.

TRACK TEN - Claire & Warne. Gotta love Warne, no matter what. "Lennie's Pennies" is the Warne Bomb on this album, but I already included that on a BFT way back when, so here ya' go, and THANK YOU! Claire's a most interesting writer as well, I think. This is relatively slight, but...not THAT slight, especially that sax soli, which is WHOA!

TRACK ELEVEN - MOODY! UNMISTAKABLY! But from where, I got no idea. I love Moody, the cat just keeps growing. And SUCH a tenor player! Go ahead Moody! Much love.

TRACK TWELVE - Not feeling this one either. I got no problem with older style, just not feeling this performance.

TRACK THIRTEEN - Yusef! And...Dakota Staton? WTF IS THIS????? I need to know.... God bless Yusef Lateef.

TRACK FOURTEEN - "Day In Day Out". Frank Stroizer? Bunky Freen? Something "Chicago"-ian about it and the recording...Vee-Jay? No matter...some deeply involving playing here, superficially "just" bop, but listen a little closer, and you hear that choices are being made, hardly any of them easy ones. Gotta love that.

TRACK FIFTEEN - Wayne for two pianos. Danko/Lightsey? Never got around to hearing that one... it's nice, if a bit cluttered. How much of thati s the playing and how much is the recording, I don't know. Little of each, I suspect. Nice, but Wayne's tone on the original...can't get that out of my head, ever.

Jack, thanks for such a superb collection of music, nothing here that's cheap or common. Kudos to you, and again, Big Thanks to Big Al for the hookup!

OK, haven’t participated in one of these in quite a while, but was looking forward to your disc, SJ. Enjoyed quite a few of the tracks, the exceptions being a couple of the “down home”/gutbucket-type blues tracks.

1) Most obviously Hawk on tenor. Much more modern trumpet than I associate on Hawk tracks. Made me pull out an old budget LP I have on the United label of Hawk with Thad Jones, but this track isn’t on it. Could be Thad but then again, perhaps not.

2) Big band track, exciting piece. Certain unmistakable calls by the tenor convince me it’s Dexter. I’m reasonably sure it’s Phil Woods on alto. Can’t at all identify the soprano. Is the baritone, Sahib Shihab?

3) Interesting vocal on this Cole Porter tune. Phrasing reminds me very much of Sammy Davis, Jr.. But if it’s him, it would be a very controlled mellow sound for him.

4) This is one of those lengthy down home tracks that doesn’t do a thing for me. No idea of who the alto is.

5) Very enjoyable “Falling in Love with Love’ version. The Pres-influenced deeper sounding tenor evokes Al Cohn for me but I’m not confident on this. Is the gruff trombonist Bill Harris? Whatever, real nice track.

6) Two tenors. Wild stab here: Illinois Jacquet and Buddy Tate?

7) Love this Freddie Redd tune that was originally on the SHADE OF REDD session that featured J Mac and Tina B. This is a very good later version of it of which I can only positively identify the very unique sound of Clifford Jordan on tenor. No idea of the alto or trumpet. Probably Redd himself on piano.

8) Unmistakably Charlie Rouse opening up on tenor. Sounds very much like a Blue Note date. Tune is very familiar. Wait a sec, is this from Sonny Clark’s LEAPIN’ AND LOPIN’ date? Very hip.

9) Tadd’s “If You Could See Me Now”.. Afraid I’m in the dark on the trumpet and piano. And while the tenor sounds somewhat familiar, I can’t pull a name right now.

10) Big band track. Definitely Warne Marsh there on tenor. Is this a Clare Fischer date, possibly an old Atlantic side I have in my archives somewhere?

11) One of those lengthy tenor basic blues tracks that again is not my thing.

12) Is that tune the old chestnut, “Peg O’ My Heart”. Very smooth trumpet or is it a cornet? I’m guessing it’s one of those Capitol ‘50s sides that feature Bobby Hackett with Jack Teagarden.

13) No idea of who the vocalist is on this blues piece. Tenor is evocative of Yusef somewhat. Definitely NMCOT though.

14) Wonderful version of “Day In, Day Out”. The only alto I associate with such fabulous facility (post-Bird) is Stitt, perhaps Strozier but I don't think it's him. If it’s not either, I really want to know who it is. Great track!

15) No idea of who this pianist is but somehow think I should know.

All in all very enjoyable as I would have expected. Great job, Jack!

TRACK SIX - "Go Red Go", the Arnett Cobb jam, but this ain't him. One of these guys kinda sounds like an older Red Holloway,

Red it is! Big Al knew the album, but you picked out Red without knowing the record. I agree, Red keeps getting better!

TRACK THIRTEEN - Yusef! And...Dakota Staton? WTF IS THIS????? I need to know.... God bless Yusef Lateef.

A few people called Yusef, but you're the first to identify the great Dakota!

TRACK FOURTEEN - "Day In Day Out". Frank Stroizer? Bunky Freen? Something "Chicago"-ian about it and the recording...Vee-Jay?

It's one of the two altos you've named, and kee-rect on the label!

A stellar response, Jim! :cool: I only commented on the ones you were the first to get.

14) Wonderful version of “Day In, Day Out”. The only alto I associate with such fabulous facility (post-Bird) is Stitt, perhaps Strozier but I don't think it's him.

It's one of the two you named! Between yours and JSngry's guess, it can be narrowed down to the right guy. <_<

Nice responses - glad you liked the set.

#4, 9, & 12 remain unidentified. Still waiting to hear from some of you!

14) Wonderful version of “Day In, Day Out”. The only alto I associate with such fabulous facility (post-Bird) is Stitt, perhaps Strozier but I don't think it's him.

It's one of the two you named! Between yours and JSngry's guess, it can be narrowed down to the right guy. <_<

Nice responses - glad you liked the set.

#4, 9, & 12 remain unidentified. Still waiting to hear from some of you!

Wow, so it was Strozier and off a CD that I own no less and am obviously unfamiliar with, the COOL CALM AND COLLECTED VeeJay session of which two takes of "Day In..." appear. And it appears you chose the alternate take 2 no less. Must give a listen to this neglected CD this weekend.

I should have been able to pick out Dakota. I have a few LPs of hers.

And Jesse Belvin (!!!!) of all people on the "It's All Right With Me" track. I only know him from my teenage days and then it was his only hit I believe, "Goodnight, My Love". And somehow I heard Sammy Davis Jr. when others were hearing Mathis! That's what makes these BFTs fun and strange at the same time, especially when there is some overlap between the tastes of the compiler and

the listener.

#9 must be this: http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&a...10:gzftxqygldte

#13 this: http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&a...10:gbfqxq95ldje

and therein lies some real life - my first listen to this BFT was Thursday night. I peeped Yusef immediately, & Dakota, well, it sure sounded like them, but I'd never heard of such a pairing.

Friday afternoon, I was out & about & saw this LP in a shop. Wondering "hmmmm, could it be?" I looked at it & saw no mention Yusef, or a woodwindist for that matter. But there was this song title, "Play Your Hands, Girls" that was all, "hey...it's GOTTA be...". Nut I didn't want to lay out the bread for the side until I knew.

Now I know, so in the morning I go!

And Jesse Belvin (!!!!) of all people on the "It's All Right With Me" track. I only know him from my teenage days and then it was his only hit I believe, "Goodnight, My Love". And somehow I heard Sammy Davis Jr. when others were hearing Mathis! That's what makes these BFTs fun and strange at the same time, especially when there is some overlap between the tastes of the compiler and the listener.

I have no idea who the hell Jesse Belvin is, but I take even greater comfort in the fact that even Jim thought it was Johnny Mathis. :g

And Jesse Belvin (!!!!) of all people on the "It's All Right With Me" track. I only know him from my teenage days and then it was his only hit I believe, "Goodnight, My Love". And somehow I heard Sammy Davis Jr. when others were hearing Mathis! That's what makes these BFTs fun and strange at the same time, especially when there is some overlap between the tastes of the compiler and the listener.

I have no idea who the hell Jesse Belvin is, but I take even greater comfort in the fact that even Jim thought it was Johnny Mathis. :g

From what I gather, Jesse Belvin was kinda "under the radar" for most folks during the 50s, one of those guys who was always connected enough to make records, but never enough to really break through (as mentioned before, "Goodnight My Love" was his only "big" hit). But the cat left a pretty good legacy as an R%B snger of both "smooth" and "rough" material. He's got some stuff out on the Fantasy R&B reissues, but who knows if those are still available...

Check him out, he's a name you probably will want to at least know about: http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&a...3ifyxqw5ldse~T1

I peeped Yusef immediately, & Dakota, well, it sure sounded like them, but I'd never heard of such a pairing.

I've owned the LP for many years - always suspected it was Yusef, which was eventually confirmed to me by Dakota herself. Cover art on back of LP also suggests Yusef.

I should be getting the LP in a few hours, so....good!

From what I gather, Jesse Belvin was kinda "under the radar" for most folks during the 50s, one of those guys who was always connected enough to make records, but never enough to really break through (as mentioned before, "Goodnight My Love" was his only "big" hit). But the cat left a pretty good legacy as an R%B snger of both "smooth" and "rough" material. He's got some stuff out on the Fantasy R&B reissues, but who knows if those are still available...

Check him out, he's a name you probably will want to at least know about: http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&a...3ifyxqw5ldse~T1

Jesse Belvin's Specialty recordings are o/p, unfortunately. Probably available on Amazon, half com, or somewhere.

His Modern & RCA recordings have been reissued on Ace - http://www.newburycomics.com/rel/v2_home.p...tartSearch.y=18

I peeped Yusef immediately, & Dakota, well, it sure sounded like them, but I'd never heard of such a pairing.

I've owned the LP for many years - always suspected it was Yusef, which was eventually confirmed to me by Dakota herself. Cover art on back of LP also suggests Yusef.

Hey, in that AMG review, Yanow identifies Yusef, too, and with no help from Dakota.

Maybe we should try to get Scott to participate in a BFT in the future?

Nah. :g

Thanks for the link. I'd say that if anything, I should investigate the Specialty sides, as the "Adult Pop" example I've now heard just doesn't float my boat enough to want to hear more.