BFT 55 Discussion

Stereojack

I peeped Yusef immediately, & Dakota, well, it sure sounded like them, but I'd never heard of such a pairing.

I've owned the LP for many years - always suspected it was Yusef, which was eventually confirmed to me by Dakota herself. Cover art on back of LP also suggests Yusef.

I should be getting the LP in a few hours, so....good!

Just got home with it, and see what you mean about the back cover art.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I peeped Yusef immediately, & Dakota, well, it sure sounded like them, but I'd never heard of such a pairing.

I've owned the LP for many years - always suspected it was Yusef, which was eventually confirmed to me by Dakota herself. Cover art on back of LP also suggests Yusef.

I should be getting the LP in a few hours, so....good!

Just got home with it, and see what you mean about the back cover art.

Another visit to HPB, or another vinyl shop I need to be aware of? :)

Well, what a blast!!!!! Straight into it. Spilled my tea at the end of the first track.

1 Boppish number from Hawkins – Coleman, that is, not Erskine. V forthright sound to the trumpet player. I don’t know him. I don’t think I know the pianist, either – ah but here comes a few rather Monkishly rhythmic bits at the end of his solo. I suppose it could be Monk – I know they worked together in the forties but this track is too long to be from then. Oh, didn’t Monk and Hawk make an LP together for Riverside? I think it was that one where he’s sitting in the kiddie kart on the cover.

2 Latin number by semi big band – soprano sax solo. Lots of saxes. Then tenor solo. Very attractive, varied arrangement. I like the way the saxes come in with different riffs. Now alto solo, then baritone. Fours with soprano & tenor. Sometimes too much drummer but overall, he’s ace. Maybe that feeling was just at the beginning and once you’re in the groove, then it fits.

3 “It’s all right with me”. Don’t know this singer at all. Wonderful band behind him, interestingly arranged and swinging like the clappers! Cor! What lovely chords! I really can’t think of any well known singer – and surely this guy is well known – ah, is it Johnny Hartman? Never heard him before. What a singer!

4 Fuckin’ ‘ell, that is one filthy alto player! Don’t care who it is! Just groovin’ to him! Jesus Christ! What a preacher!!!!!! Second solo I’m thinking it must be someone else I’ve never heard much of like Dolphy. Or McLean.

5 “Falling in love with love” by smooth tenor with very nice sound. I like the whole band. Everyone’s pulling together. And the bass player sounds really very much nicer than most to me – I usually don’t get bass players but I can hear this guy clearly. No idea who any of these people are. But that doesn’t seem to matter.

6 “Go Red go”. As far as I know, this recording doesn’t exist. I thought I had every version Arnett cut of this tune; but this isn’t any of them. And he only did it once with organ. It has the ambiance of that version with Jaws, with Wild Bill Davis on organ, so maybe Wild Bill is here, too – but it’s not Jaws – someone more like Buddy Tate. I dunno, perhaps this is some previously unissued thing from Black & Blue. Anyway, I want this version, too.

7 Lovely baritone sax sound in the statement of the tune. There are elements of this tune I think I recognise, but I don’t really. I think I recognise the first tenor player sometimes, too, but he’s not one I normally listen to much. Golson, maybe. He writes tunes I haven’t heard that sound familiar. Don’t know the next tenor man. Trumpet player I would like to be Blue Mitchell, but I don’t think it is. I think I’m going to guess at something by Golson with a larger group – there was an LP called “Take a number from one to ten” which ended up with a large group; perhaps this comes from that. Bass player is another lovely player.

8 Lovely walk-on. http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&a...10:kzfoxqtgldae

I see there are some bonus tracks on the CD, though I think of it as side 2 track 2 (#6 here). This took me forever to identify, even though I’ve got it. I don’t find either of the horn players at all easy to identify. But once I started concentrating on the rhythm section, everything slipped into place.

9 “If you could see me now” Nice trumpet player, though he’s got a slightly shrill tone that I’m not greatly enamoured of. Love the way he’s playing the tune. Don’t think I’ve ever heard this guy before. Nor the pianist, who sounds quite dark. Don’t think I know the tenor player either, though he seems a mite more familiar. Probably these are all guys off my regular patch.

10 Another familiar intro. Yes, another I’ve got. Gerald Wilson? Damned if I know what, though. Ah, it’s this. http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&a...10:jifrxqyhldke

Side 1, track 2.

11 Preaching, somewhat avant tenor player, live. Once the rest of the band comes in, it’s not avant at all. But I don’t know who this guy is. I just think I want to buy lots of his records. I didn’t catch the names of the rhythm section when he announced them. Maybe this is Clifford Jordan, but somewhat farther out than I’m used to?

12 “Coquette” A nice old tune played by a nice old trumpeter who sounds suspiciously like Louis Armstrong. I keep not buying hundreds of Armstrong records – I only have a couple - but this’ll make me correct that. (That’s if it’s him.) But it ain’t, ‘cos of the guitar, which I don’t associate with Armstrong’s All Stars. This is really a kind of perfect example of small group swing. Makes me think about Commodore’s small group sessions, which I’m not at all familiar with. After a bit of sleuthing, I came up with Edmond Hall, Emmett Berry, Vic Dick, Heywood etc. Oh and it’s Al Casey on guitar. Well, maybe there is some doubt because it isn’t much like the Casey I’ve heard. This is more a Freddie Green style of comping, I think. Still, let’s say it’s that 1943 session for Commodore. I guess it was in a Mosaic box. This is telling me how much more exploring I have to do in this area. And how good it’s gonna be.

13 R&B song by a lady who is more than slightly familiar. The first Soul Jazz albums I ever bought were by Dakota. I haven’t got this but I think it comes from this LP http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&a...10:gbfqxq95ldje. Who’s the tenor player? Oh, now that IS a surprise. Another for my list.

14 Oh, jungle drums day in day out. You’ll be all right as long as the drums keep playing. What happens when they stop? Bass solo. Don’t know these musicians I think, but they’re all right.

15 Piano player. Style seems a bit familiar – must have heard him before but I really don’t know this guy. Let’s try Hugh Lawson, for no better reason than that I haven’t seen anyone mention his name for a while. Are there two pianists here? If there’s only one, he’s playing a helluva lot of piano.

That last track is the only one I haven’t really liked a lot. What a damn fine bunch of stuff you’ve put together, Jack!!!!! Thank you very much indeed. Lots here I think I want to buy (Godammit!).

MG

Wasn't able to get to this right away, and have avoided the discussion thread. I couldn't make any confident guesses on any of these (well, on one, but not based on the music!). There seems to be a lot of Blue Note or similar music here, and I confess I would never have been allowed on the old Blue Note message board because I've never really been a Blue Note expert by any means. I always preferred late Blue Note--the Andrew Hill, Tony Williams, Joe Henderson, edging into avant-garde sort of stuff. Anyway, here goes...

1. Sounds like Coleman Hawkins on tenor. Don't know who the others are but they sound great! The music reminds me of mid-50's bop with swing memories. I could imagine Lucky Thompson recording this tune. Love the crisp drumming.

2. The arrangement is a little dated, but I like the soloing. What soprano player would be in a situation like that? No idea.

3. Nice and suave, I like it a lot. No idea who it is but it sticks with me.

4. Formulaic but enjoyable. Not much originality, IMHO, but quite an alto player nonetheless.

5. Very nice. I love the tenor's tone and phrasing.

6. Good but kind of generic.

7. No surprises, but it swings and I like the arrangement--well, except that it kind of wears out its welcome after a while. Interesting pianist--sort of jittery and jumpy.

8. Good enough playing but I find the tune annoyingly dull.

9. Beautiful!

10. Initially I was lukewarm--that piccolo in the opening bars isn't my cup of tea. But in the end I decided it's pretty solid.

11. A nice, aggressive tenor sax. Red meat! The speaking voice gives it away--has to be James Moody, with that characteristic slight lisp. "We'll be white black!" What a sense of humor! He no doubt sang "Bennie's From Heaven" somewhere in that set.

12. A mellow, Eddie Condon style affair. Perhaps a bit too mellow--I would have preferred a little more gumption!

13. I'm convinced by the singer, whoever it is. Good tenor sax counterpoint. I'm sure I know them both but no names spring to mind.

14. The alto's phrasing is a little stilted or something--he's very hot but a little mannered somehow. IMHO.

15. Two pianos--there were so many of those piano duet things, during the 70's in particular. No idea who these are. I rarely like two-piano duets--they're just too rich.

Thanks, Jack, for a vintage BFT!

There seems to be a lot of Blue Note or similar music here

Actually only one track from BN.

:huh:

11. A nice, aggressive tenor sax. Red meat! The speaking voice gives it away--has to be James Moody, with that characteristic slight lisp. "We'll be white black!" What a sense of humor! He no doubt sang "Bennie's From Heaven" somewhere in that set.

He did!

Thanks, Jack, for a vintage BFT!

My pleasure! :P

There seems to be a lot of Blue Note or similar music here

Actually only one track from BN.

But more than one "similar"!

Reading through the thread, I see that this is the BN track, and I have committed a grave sin against Blue Note orthodoxy! :cool:

Reading through the thread, I see that this is the BN track, and I have committed a grave sin against Blue Note orthodoxy! :cool:

No sweat. Just say five "Hail Mobley's" and five "Our Blakey's" and you'll be absolved. ^_^

Hey Stereojack - some really nice stuff on this BFT disk. Really enjoying it so far :D

Thoughts for the first section of the disk:

(1) Definitely Coleman Hawkins on tenor. So harmonically forward thinking in his ideas, astonishing really. I can't place the music but it has a Prestige/Swingvile sound to it so probably from the late 50s/early 60s.

(2) Bigger sounding group in an afro-cuban style. Parlan-ish piano, Pepper Adams on baritone? Needle drop for sure - issued on Ronco records? :g

(3) First reaction was either Al Jarreau on Johnny Mathis ( :crazy: ). So no idea on the singer - but he's with a classy West Coast big band. Is that Art Pepper on alto? Sure sounds like him.

(4) Alto-led R&B track. Eddie 'Cleanhead' Vinso perhaps - you could sand paint to this one.

(5) Elegant piano leading into a Lestorian tenor solo. There's a bit of Warne Marsh in the style but I'm not sure it's Warne.

(6) March-like intro into a two-tenor feature. Gene Ammons/Sonny Stitt?

(7) Recognise the tune - 'The Thespian' off of one of Freddie Redd's Blue Notes. But this isn't from the BN LP - one of Redd's later Milestone albums perhaps?

(8) This is definitely off a Blue Note - I think it's Sonny Clark but I'm banging my head against the wall trying to recall which one. No excuse, cos I have it !

(9) Tadd Dameron's 'If You Could See Me Now'. Stylish piano intro leading into a very lyrical trumpet solo. Damn - I've definitely heard this one before but again, vcan't place it.

(3) First reaction was either Al Jarreau on Johnny Mathis ( :crazy: ). So no idea on the singer - but he's with a classy West Coast big band. Is that Art Pepper on alto? Sure sounds like him.

Another vote for Mathis! :excited:

(4) Alto-led R&B track. Eddie 'Cleanhead' Vinson perhaps - you could sand paint to this one.

Interesting guess.

(5) Elegant piano leading into a Lestorian tenor solo. There's a bit of Warne Marsh in the style but I'm not sure it's Warne.

It has always impressed me that people think this is a much younger player.

Nice going, sidewinder!

10) Hmm - a clue at the beginning of the track. My CD player lights up with the magic letters 'HDCD' - which hints that it is recent, although the music sounds older. Nice fender plus guitar intro into a mellow-ish big band chart that could almost be by Mel Lewis's Vanguard Orchestra. The tenor soloist sounds uncannily like a very young Joe Lovano. On the whole though - haven't a clue :g .

11) Audio-verite live club recording of very bluest tenor with rhythm section. Something about the very unpredictable wide interval leaps and the strong blues ability says to me 'James Moody'. Nice one.

12) Chicago style trumpet feature - tune sounds familiar to me but I can't name it. Is this Wild Bill Davidson? Not sure on the bone player. Nicely recorded - sounds like something from the 60s to me.

13) Blues singer with very strong tenor backing. Something from Detroit? (sort of has that feel). Can't place either the singer or the tenor player (although this player is very good).

14) Bird-influenced altoist with rhythm section. Very fluent technician - Charles McPherson? No idea on the tune, although again it sounds very familiar and a standard.

15) Wayne Shorter's 'El Gaucho', great composition. Is that a couple of pianos? One of them sounds like McCoy Tyner (the chap on the left) with the trademark tremolo effect at the end of a phrase. Nice selection.

Thanks Stereojack ! :)

10) Hmm - a clue at the beginning of the track. My CD player lights up with the magic letters 'HDCD' - which hints that it is recent, although the music sounds older.

Older recording, remastered for HDCD.

11) Audio-verite live club recording of very bluesy tenor with rhythm section. Something about the very unpredictable wide interval leaps and the strong blues ability says to me 'James Moody'. Nice one.

Yes indeed!

Thanks Stereojack ! :)

And thank you for the responses! :tup

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry to be that late, but lots of unexpexcted work before our annual vacation didn't leave me enough time to write down my thoughts. As I anticipated, very interesting choices. Since the answers have already been posted at this writing, I simply drop names instead of posting links.

These are my comments during first or at the most, second listen, without any external aid or looking at the others' guesses or the answers:

# 1: If that ain't the Hawk, I dunno ... very nice track, I especially like the recurring riffing patterns of piano and drums during the solos. Very elegant pianist. But I think this is a Hawkins track I haven't heard before. Definitely a keeper! Osie Johnson on drums?

# 2: Oh, I have that one and love it! Recognized it during the first bar! A real sax feast - every lover of all-star sax records should have that one. Great choice - I would have included a track from this one in a sax disc, too. Pony Poindexter's Epic LP "Pony's Express", with Phil Woods, Dexter Gordon ... a who's who of 1960's sax greats.

# 3: I think I don't know that singer or at least I'm not very familiar with him - or her? I like it, would like to hear more! Good studio pros playing this good but not that original arrangement. I'd really know who that singer is ...

# 4: No idea who that alto saxist is ... interesting player, but not 100 % my taste. Pushing a little too hard.

# 5: A Rudy van Gelder recording? I have heard that saxist, but can't name him. "Falling in Love" - a nice mainstream version. The way they start the solos with those exchanges of sax and piano is nice. Should be some 1960's Prestige date. Osie Johnson again? I wish the trombone was as up front in the mix as the sax.

# 6: Two tenors and a B3 organ ... I had hoped for an organ solo, but no ... not that original, on the whole.

# 7: I find the playing a bit uneven on this track, and the lead alto saxists' intonation a bit off the rest of the horns. Clifford Jordan? Must be a 1970's recording, judging from the bass sound. Don't like the alto saxist. Trumpeter is nice, pianist could me more on point, rhythmically.

# 8: If I'm not too mislead this is a Sonny Clark tune - a Blue Note album? Charlie Rouse on tenor? I probably have this.

# 9: Tadd Dameron's most beautiful tune, "If you could see me now". This trumpeter is a swing guy, I'd say, inspired by but not reaching the level of Freddie Webster's playing on Sarah Vaughan's recording. I like the pianist's impro better than the trumpeter's. Another van Gelder recorded Prestige date?

# 10: Clare Fischer's Orchestra, "Miles behind". Warne Marsh on tenor, Conte Candoli, Larry Bunker. Too bad they didn't credit the conga player - I have no idea who he could be - maybe Chino Pozo? This track includes some of the greatest sax section writing I have ever heard after the trumpet solo. I wore out a copy of that LP. Fischer is one great m...f... as far as writing for woodwinds is concerned.

# 11: No idea again. I would have expected a more R & B type of groove after the intro - that post bop swing is too pedestrian for that saxist.

# 12: Some very competent stylistically authentic swing playing. This convinces me from start to end. No idea who they are.

# 13: Now here's an R & B groove. I know that singer .... arrghh! I like how she digs in. I'd buy this!

# 14: I have or had that somewhere. Sonny Criss? No - Frank Strozier!!! Vernell Fournier on drums! This is from that originally unissued VeeJay album. I must play this during the next days!

# 15: Wayne Shorter's great tune, "El Gaucho", played on two pianos. Who is this? I want this!

Thanks for these great selections! Now off to the answers!