Verve Johnny Hodges and Prima/Manone now in "Running Low"

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really like it. But then I'm a fan of early jazz and of the New Orleans style of the twenties and thirties and I would!

Sound is very good. Nice booklet too. Prima has said something like "Pee Wee Russell was the most fascinating musical mind I knew." There's good Pee Wee here.

I found the quote about Pee Wee, told by Prima to Arnold Shaw:

“He had the most fabulous musical mind I have known. He never looked at a note. But the second time I played a lick, he’d play along with me in harmony. The guy seemed to read my mind. I never ran into anyone that had that much talent.”

I broke down and ordered both with the Onzy Matthews Mosaic Select, Lou Rawls Black and Blue/Tobacco Road, the Mulligan Concert Band set I had on hold, and the last copy of the Elmer Snowden Harlem Banjo CD.

I already have the Young/Basie set on order (and debate on adding the Hampton when it is ready to ship!), so it looks like I am not going to be buying any music, unless more sets I do not have move over to the endangered list, for a few months.

Shoot! I've also been interested in the Hodges set but opted for the Nelson set instead. I really enjoy his small group sessions with Ellington. (Side By Side and Back To Back.) What to do?

(Help the economy--pull out the ol' credit card. :rolleyes: )

Egads! In my opinion the Hoges set is worth two Nelsons! :)

I just sent off an email to our friends at Mosaic requesting that a copy of the Venuti/Lang be added to my order. After listening to the sound samples, I was too intrigued to let this one pass me by.

If the Prima/Manone is still available next month, I'll probably pick it up at that time...

The Hodges, though, was an absolute, unquestionable, without-a-doubt MUST BUY. ^_^

Ouch, this is hard... I was actually starting to consider buying the Venuti/Lang if it was still around, but now it's only #3 of these again and hence must be skipped... the Hodges is a no-brainer, and also the Prima/Manone would interest me some... (just last night I played some of the first Classic of Manone's). Hm, I assume I'll only be able to afford the Hodges, in the end, and I have to wait a couple of weeks before I can order... hope it doesn't go *that* fast!

My Venuti/Lang set is over at the post office awaiting payment of Her Majesty's Taxes :rmad: . Once I've collected it, I'll post a few thoughts. I think I'll go for the Prima/Manone, even if it needs a request to Mosaic to hold one back. The Hodges, yes, is a 'no brainer'.

I ask Mosaic to use DHL, who deliver immediately and bill you for duties later. The service charge they add is very low.

My two cents before this thread fades - don't miss either the Johnny Hodges or the Wingy/Prima if you have any inclination towards small group swing. Lon's comments are right on (as usual) .

You can't EVER get enough Johnny Hodges and the Wingy/Prima moves increasingly from it's 20s start into very good small group swing with guys like Pee Wee and Chu Berry.