Verve Johnny Hodges and Prima/Manone now in "Running Low"

I ask Mosaic to use DHL, who deliver immediately and bill you for duties later. The service charge they add is very low.

I've been hit hard by DHL so avoid them like the plague !

Really? Tell me more! So far so good for me, touch wood...

I've been 'dinged' by them in the past on occasions when International Airmail, for the same size of packet, comes through scot-free.

It probably depends where in the country you live. DHL don't have a local office near me either - I prefer to go to the PO (about 50 paces away :) ).

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure of the exact figure but I was hit with around £7-8 service charge and £10-12 tax on one package. Ouch !

Was the service charge related to the tax? There's a sign in the Post Office saying that a service charge will also be added in the event of tax being taken. Though last time I had tax to pay on an overseas package they did not mention or make me pay it.

It all seems to be explained here:

http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsPortalW...tyType=document

Edited by Bev Stapleton

My personal experience is that I am (almost) always charged duty, plus a fairly hefty fee, when I've used DHL while it is more like 50-50 when I use the normal post (although I have had to pay duty more often recently). Given that it is also much more convenient to go to the post office than to a DHL depot I always select the USPS option.

The Hodges-set is an absolute must-have! Some of the best small group mainstream jazz ever recorded (I especially like the session where Hodges leads a mid-size band featuring Shorty Baker, Ben Webster, Jimmy Hamilton and the crack rhythm section of Jimmy Jones, Les Spann, Ray Brown and Jo Jones and the one with Ben Webster, Lou Levy, Herb Ellis, Wilfred Middlebrooks and Gus Johnson).

These sets are always a big temptation for me to pick up when they are running low or in last chance but the cost is way too prohibitive just to spring for them. I have to look for reasons not to buy them in order to exercise restraint and not spend all the bills money.

I see the Venuti/lang set is now gone so that made that decision for me. For that one, the guitar/violin combination is kind of a niche sound for me anyway so I'm sure I'd be happy just turning to the 9-10 Django/Grapelli CDs I own. I'm tempted a lot by the Prima/Manone but the abundance of Prima vocals is what's going to stop me. I think I'd grow weary of them pretty quickly. I wish I could just purchase the Manone sides because I think I'd really enjoy those. The Johnny Hodges is still on the radar for me. I'm hoping it stays on the running low for a while because I'm still trying to make up my mind on that one. It would probably be a good addition because I'm not really an Ellington fan and I have no Hodges in my jazz collection.

Edited by mikelz777

These sets are always a big temptation for me to pick up when they are running low or in last chance but the cost is way too prohibitive just to spring for them. I have to look for reasons not to buy them in order to exercise restraint and not spend all the bills money.

The Johnny Hodges is still on the radar for me. I'm hoping it stays on the running low for a while because I'm still trying to make up my mind on that one. It would probably be a good addition because I'm not really an Ellington fan and I have no Hodges in my jazz collection.

Hmm, I think it'd maybe make more sense to take a smaller bite of Hodges then the Mosaic, if you're not really an Ellington fan. Perhaps the Ellington & Hodges "Back To Back" would be more sensible, as it's not a big band setting (or Side By Side, though I like the other one more.) Or find a copy of Everybody Knows Johnny Hodges. Or maybe Passion Flower, a comp of material with & without the Ellington band that covers 1940-46 and can sometimes be found cheaply.

I own & enjoy the Hodges Mosaic, but if you're looking for excuse not to spend the money, I just don't think taking that sort of plunge is for you based on what you've said. I suppose it's possible to love Hodges & not care much for Ellington, but as so much of his great playing is with the Duke, maybe it'd be more sensible & cost effective to check out some Ellington (w/ Hodges) from the library, just to see if it "clicks" for you.

The Johnny Hodges is still on the radar for me. I'm hoping it stays on the running low for a while because I'm still trying to make up my mind on that one. It would probably be a good addition because I'm not really an Ellington fan and I have no Hodges in my jazz collection.

Hmm, I think it'd maybe make more sense to take a smaller bite of Hodges then the Mosaic, if you're not really an Ellington fan. Perhaps the Ellington & Hodges "Back To Back" would be more sensible, as it's not a big band setting (or Side By Side, though I like the other one more.) Or find a copy of Everybody Knows Johnny Hodges. Or maybe Passion Flower, a comp of material with & without the Ellington band that covers 1940-46 and can sometimes be found cheaply.

I own & enjoy the Hodges Mosaic, but if you're looking for excuse not to spend the money, I just don't think taking that sort of plunge is for you based on what you've said. I suppose it's possible to love Hodges & not care much for Ellington, but as so much of his great playing is with the Duke, maybe it'd be more sensible & cost effective to check out some Ellington (w/ Hodges) from the library, just to see if it "clicks" for you.

Yeah, this is the kind of advice I have to consider. Do I take a smaller bite and settle or do I end up liking him enough to want to go for the Mosaic and regret missing it when I had the chance and then only find copies at a huge inflated price? These sets are always a pretty good gamble. Of the 22 Mosaic box sets/selects I got, I ended up trading in only 1 of them for not liking it. If I ended up not really liking it I could pretty much count on at least getting my money back if not more. What attracts me to the set is that he's featured in the smaller group setting rather than the large. When I say that I'm not much of an Ellington fan I was, in part, comparing myself with others. It seems that the majority of people here just LOVE him and have a lot or the desire to aquire a lot of his recordings. I have four of his CDs containing his stuff from the Blanton/Webster days. I like it but I was never compelled enough to seek out more. I'll have to go through the sound samples of the entire Hodges set at allmusic.com over the course of several non-consecutive days and see what kind of impression it leaves me with over time.

Edited by mikelz777

All this talk of the set made me dig it out this weekend.

I have to say, I used to worship at the altar of jazz modernity, but I now reside in the church of swing. And no deacon ever gave it up to the congregation better than Rabbit.

I'd rather have this set than all the Art Pepper cds on OJC!

Rarely has confidence and competence been so seamlessly welded. I don't know if there has ever been a more solid match of instrumental command and emotional communication than in Hodges. In a way Ayler, maybe. . . .Anyway, Hodges made the notes in between notes vibrate and swing. Just an amazing expressor and group leader.

On top of all the fantastic Hodges here, there's Webster, NANCE, Brown, and many more masterful players giving their best. And how long before all these individual lps make it onto "Verve Desert Island Master by Request Essential" cds? Possibly within our lifespans? Possibly not?

High praise to Mosaic for conceiving, producing and selling this set. One of my favorite Mosaics.

Am I correct in my assumption that the Play the Blues Back to Back session (and hence half of the Side by Side album) isn't included in the Mosaic?

I only have those two (VMEs, glorious!) and the 3 albums on 2 CDs Verve set which has those two alternates Mosaic missed (plus a good Webster and a great Edison album).

Of the 22 Mosaic box sets/selects I got, I ended up trading in only 1 of them for not liking it...

What attracts me to the set is that he's featured in the smaller group setting rather than the large. When I say that I'm not much of an Ellington fan I was, in part, comparing myself with others. It seems that the majority of people here just LOVE him and have a lot or the desire to aquire a lot of his recordings. I have four of his CDs containing his stuff from the Blanton/Webster days. I like it but I was never compelled enough to seek out more. I'll have to go through the sound samples of the entire Hodges set at allmusic.com over the course of several non-consecutive days and see what kind of impression it leaves me with over time.

Ah, okay, that changes things. You are only semi-successful in talking yourself out of buying Mosaic sets I see. The sound quality of the Hodges set is great by the way. It's a fine example of why Malcolm Addey has a cult-like following.

Regarding Ellington, aside from the small group Back To Back and Side By Side, I'd recommend checking out Far East Suite &...And His Mother Called Him Bill. Aside from sounding more "modern" (they're from the mid-to-late '60s) they both contain some of Hodges's finest moments. I can't imagine a being a Hodges fan without them.

[i'd recommend checking out Far East Suite &...And His Mother Called Him Bill. Aside from sounding more "modern" (they're from the mid-to-late '60s) they both contain some of Hodges's finest moments. I can't imagine a being a Hodges fan without them.

Totally agree - both wonderful. Add to that the session with Oliver Nelson too.

Am I correct in my assumption that the Play the Blues Back to Back session (and hence half of the Side by Side album) isn't included in the Mosaic?

I only have those two (VMEs, glorious!) and the 3 albums on 2 CDs Verve set which has those two alternates Mosaic missed (plus a good Webster and a great Edison album).

If you dig "Play The Blues" & "Back To Back" (who doesn't?), you will LOVE this set. It is without question one of my top five Mosaics. FYI, The "Blues-A-Plenty" session from the twofer you speak of is included in the Mosaic.

Edited by Brute

Yup, you're right, Lonehill it is - they're all out of stock on the Fresh Sound site at this moment, here's the info (and the cover of the first, they all look likely):

c4862.jpg

J. Hodges / W.b. Davis Project Vol. 1 (2 Cds Set)

Johnny Hodges

Featuring: Johnny Hodges, Wild Bill Davis, Lawrence Brown, Jimmy Hamilton, Kenny Burrell, Mundell Lowe, George Duvivier, Osie Johnson

REFERENCE: LHJ10283

BAR CODE: 8436019582831

PRICE: 19.45 €

INCLUDES THE COMPLETE LPs: "Con-Soul & Jazz", "Wild Bill Davis & Johnny Hodges in Atlantic City" AND ALSO "Blue Pyramid"

PLUS BONUS TRACKS!

Tracklisting:

CD 1:

1. On The Sunny Side Of Th e Street

2. On Green Dolphin Street

3. Lil' Darlin'

4. Con Soul And Sax

5. The Jeep Is Jumpin,'

6. I'm Beginning To See Th e Light

7. Sophisticated Lady

8. Drop Me Off In Harlem

9. No One

10. Johnny Come Lately

11. Just Squeeze Me

12. It's Only A Paper Moon

13. Taff y

14. Good Queen Bess

15. L.B. Blues

16. In A Mellow Tone

17. Rockville

Total time: 70:22 mins.

CD 2:

1. I'll Always Love You

2. It Don't Mean A Thing

3. Belle Of The Belmont

4. Blues For Madeleine

5. When I'm Feeling Kinda Blue

6. Pyramid

7. Nonchalance

8. At Dawn

9. Th e Brown-Skin Gal In The Calico Gown

10. Stormy Weather

11. Rabbit Out Of Th e Hat

12. Hash Brown

13. Blue Notes*

14. Say It Again*

15. I Can't Believe Th at You're In Love With Me*

16. Broad Walk*

17. L.B. Blues*,

18. Sandy's Gone*

19. Candy's Theme*

20. The Caretakers Theme*

21. Again*

* Bonus Tracks

Total time: 73:53 mins.

CD 1, #1-10: "CON-SOUL & SAX": New York, Jan 7, 1965.

CD 1, #11-17 & CD 2, #1-3: "IN ATLANTIC CITY": Grace's Little Belmont, Atlantic City, Aug 10 & 11, 1966.

CD 2, #4-12: "BLUE PYRAMID": New York, Nov/Dec, 1965 & Jan 17, 1966.

CD 2, #13-17: From "BLUE NOTES": New York, Aug 15 & 19, 1966.

CD 2, #18-21: From "SANDY'S GONE": New York, Sept 3, 1963.

Vol.1, the only 2-CD set of the series, comprises the only two albums in which Wild Bill Davis was the primary session leader, and in which his name preceded that of Hodges in the original cover art (Con-Soul & Jazz and Wild Bill Davis & Johnny Hodges in Atlantic City). These albums usually appear on jazz discographies under Wild Bill's name. In addition, we also have the album Blue Pyramid, in which Hodges' name is, as usual, the first one mentioned.

The three albums, recorded in '65 and '66, were the last small group albums by this amazing team. As fillers at the end of Disc Two are 5 songs from the Hodges album Blue Notes and the four tracks featuring both Hodges and Davis from the album "Sandy's Gone".

Personnel: JOHNNY HODGES (alto sax), WILD BILL DAVIS (organ)

plus collective personnel: Lawrence Brown (tb), Jimmy Hamilton (cl), Kenny Burrell & Mundell Lowe (g), George Duvivier (b) & Osie Johnson (d), among others.

J. Hodges / W.b. Davis Project Vol. 2

Johnny Hodges

Featuring: Johnny Hodges (as), Wild Bill Davis (org), Grant Green (g) ....

REFERENCE: LHJ10284

BAR CODE: 8436019582848

PRICE: 13.45 €

INCLUDES THE TWO COMPLETE LPs: "Joe's Blues" and "Wings & Things", in which guitarist Grant Green plays with the two masters!

Tracklisting:

1. Joe's Blues

2. I'll Walk Alone

3. Harmony In Harlem

4. Warm Valley

5. Wild Bill Blues

6. Somebody Loves Me

7. Solitude

8. Clementine

9. Wings And Things

10. Spotted Dog

11. Casanova

12. Dow De Dow Dow Dow

13. Peg O' My Heart

14. The Nearness Of You*

15. Imbo*

16. Take The "A" Train*.

* Bonus Tracks, where Hank Jones (p) replaces Wild Bill Davis

Total time: 72:41 mins.

Personnel: Johnny Hodges (as), Wild Bill Davis (org), Grant Green (g) on all tracks, with: #1-8: "JOE'S BLUES": Lawrence Brown (tb), Bob Bushnell (Fender bass) or Bob Cranshaw (b), Grady Tate (d). Recorded in New Jersey, January 6, 1965.

#9-16: "WINGS AND THINGS": Lawrence Brown (tb), Hank Jones (p, replaces Wild Bill Davis on 14-16), Richard Davis (b), Ben Dixon(d).

Recorded in New Jersey, July 27, 1965.

J. Hodges / W.b. Davis Project Vol. 3

Johnny Hodges

Featuring: Johnny Hodges (as), Wild Bill Davis (org), Kenny Burrell (g) ....

REFERENCE: LHJ10285

BAR CODE: 8436019582855

INCLUDES THE RECORDINGS IN WHICH GUITARIST KENNY BURRELL PLAYED WITH WILD BILL AND JOHNNY HODES: the complete LP "Mess of Blues" and three tracks from the LP "Blue Rabbit". As a bonus, this CD contains the complete 1966 Johnny Hodges/Earl Hines LP "Stride Right", also featuring Kenny Burrell.

Tracklisting:

1. Jones

2. I Cried For You

3. Love You Madly

4. Little John, Little John

5. Stolen Sweets

6. A & R Blues

7. Lost In Meditation

8. I Let A Song Go Out Of My Heart

9. Tangerine

10. Creole Love Call

11. Caution Blues (Blues In Thirds)*

12. Stride Right*

13. Rosetta*

14. Perdido*

15. Fantastic, That's You*

16. Tale Of The Fox*

17. I'm Beginning To See Th e Light*

18. C Jam Blues*

19. Tippin' In*

* Bonus Tracks

Total time: 74:26 mins.

Personnel: JOHNNY HODGES (alto sax), WILD BILL DAVIS (organ), KENNY BURRELL (guitar) on all tracks except where otherwise indicated, with:

#1-7: "MESS OF BLUES": Joe Wilder (tp), Osie Johnson & Ed Shaughnessy (d). Recorded in New York, Sept 3 & 4, 1963.

#8-10: Taken from "BLUE RABBIT": Ray Jackson (organ) replaces Wild Bill Davis, Jack Lesberg (b on #8 & 9), Wendell Marshall (b on 10), Bobby Donaldson (d). Recorded in New York, May 15 (#8 & 9) & May 17 (#10), 1963.

#11-19: "STRIDE RIGHT": Wild Bill Davis out. Earl Hines (organ and piano), Richard Davis (b), Joe Marshall (d). Recorded in New Jersey, January 14, 1966.

J. Hodges / W.b. Davis Project Vol. 4

Johnny Hodges

Featuring: Johnny Hodges, Wild Bill Davis, Les Spann, Mundell Lowe

REFERENCE: LHJ10286

BAR CODE: 8436019582862

Tracklisting:

1. And Then Some

2. I Wonder Why

3. Azure Te

4. Blue Hodge

5. Hodge Podge

6. It Shouldn't Happen To A Dream

7. Why Are You Blue?

8. Knuckles

9. Stand By Blues

10. There Is No Greater Love

11. Blues O'Mighty

12. Fiddler's Fancy

13. Things Ain't What They Used To Be

14. Wisteria

15. Satin Doll

16. Mud Pie

17. Rent City*

18. Sometimes I'm Happy*

19. The Midnight Sun Will Never Set*

20. Sneakin' Up On You*

* Bonus Tracks: Wild Bill Davis Out

Total Time: 79:28 mins.

PARTNERSHIP: the complete LP "Blue Hodge" (their first collaboration) and the remaining tracks from "Blue Rabbit" (without Kenny Burrell). As bonus tracks at the end of this volume are the four remaining tracks from Hodges' LP "Blue Notes".

Personnel: JOHNNY HODGES (alto sax), WILD BILL DAVIS (organ) on all tracks, with:

#1-10: "BLUE HODGE": Les Spann (g & fl ), Sam Jones (b), Louis Hayes (d). Recorded in New Jersey, Aug 23 & 24, 1961.

#11-16: From "BLUE RABBIT": Mundell Lowe (g), Richard Davis (b), Osie Johnson (d). Recorded in New York, April 28 & 30, 1964.

#17-20: From "BLUE NOTES": Wild Bill Davis out.

Recorded in New York, October 24, 1966.

This special one-off project contains 10 complete original albums, spread over 5 CDs (three single CDs and one double CD set): "Blue Hodge" (1961), "Mess Of Blues" (1963), "Blue Rabbit" (1964), "Joe's Blues" (1965), "Wings And Th ings" (1965), "Con-Soul & Sax" (1965), "Blue Pyramid" (1965), "In Atlantic City" (1966). Two of these ten albums are included as a bonus: two complete 1966 Johnny Hodges' albums (without Wild Bill Davis): "Blue Notes" & "Stride Right" (the latter with Earl Hines) and also four tracks featuring Johnny Hodges and Wild Bill Davis from the rare 1963 big band album "Sandy's Gone". Celebrated jazzmen with deep blues roots, Johnny Hodges (1906-1970) and Wild Bill Davis (1918-1995) formed a prolific musical team with exquisite chemistry that was apparent from their first recording together (the 1961 album Blue Hodge) and would continue for nearly a decade. Hodges and Davis recorded a total of eight albums as co-leaders. The majority of these recordings, however, remained lost in obscurity after their original release and, with a few exceptions, have never been released on CD until now. All of these LPs are presented in their entirety on this project, which also includes numerous bonus tracks!

THE COMPLETE SMALL GROUP RECORDINGS OF A SPLENDID BLUES TEAM. Celebrated jazz musicians with deep blues roots, Johnny Hodges (1906-1970) and Wild Bill Davis (1918-1995) formed a prolific musical team with exquisite chemistry that was apparent from their first recording together (the 1961 album Blue Hodge) and would continue for nearly a decade.

Apart from making various albums as co-leaders with small groups, they were both members of Duke Ellington's orchestra (Hodges was, of course, an Ellington veteran) in the late Sixties, with whom they toured Europe in 1969. Will Bill was even present of the April 27, 1970 New York session (issued on the Ellington album New Orleans Suite), which turned out to be Johnny's last session ever: he died of a heart attack on May 11, 1970, while at his dentist's office.

Hodges and Davis recorded a total of eight albums as co-leaders. A few numbers from some of these sessions (mostly ballads where a piano was better suited than the organ) featured pianist Hank Jones replacing Will Bill Davis. Their albums were met with great success and constitute a solid body of recordings, which combined standard songs and Ellington-related tunes with highly-spirited blues, mostly composed by Hodges and Davis.

The majority of these recordings, however, remained lost in obscurity after their original release and, with a few exceptions, have never been released on CD until now.

Chronologically, their collective albums are as follows:

1. Blue Hodge (1961)

2. Mess Of Blues (1963)

3. Blue Rabbit (1964)

4. Joe's Blues (1965)

5. Wings And Th ings (1965)

6. Con-Soul & Sax (1965)

7. Blue Pyramid (1965)

8. In Atlantic City (1966)

All of these LPs are presented in their entirety in this project, which also includes numerous bonus tracks! Although this four-volume set includes all of their collective albums, the producers decided not to issue them in chronological order. Instead, the original LPs were grouped according to diverse musical criteria:

Vol. 1, the only 2-CD set of the series, comprises the only two albums in which Will Bill Davis was the primary session leader, and in which his name preceded that of Hodges in the original cover art, plus Blue Pyramid.

Vol. 2, includes the two albums in which guitarist Grant Green plays with the two masters.

Vol. 3, includes the recording in which guitarist Kenny Burrell played with Hodges and Davis, plus three tracks from the Blue Rabbit LP.

THE BONUS TRACKS: Hodges and Davis also participated on a ninth project, a Claus Ogerman big band LP titled Sandy's Gone fronted by Hodges. This project includes the four tracks which also feature Will Bill Davis, as a bonus at the end of Vol 1. The only other known recordings by Hodges and Davis together were as members of the Duke Ellington Orchestra.

ADDITIONAL CONTENT: To fill up the discs in the project, the producers have also included two complete Johnny Hodges albums (without Wild Bill Davis) from the same period: Blue Notes (1966) and Stride Right (1966).