Verve Johnny Hodges and Prima/Manone now in "Running Low"

Of the 22 Mosaic box sets/selects I got, I ended up trading in only 1 of them for not liking it...

What attracts me to the set is that he's featured in the smaller group setting rather than the large. When I say that I'm not much of an Ellington fan I was, in part, comparing myself with others. It seems that the majority of people here just LOVE him and have a lot or the desire to aquire a lot of his recordings. I have four of his CDs containing his stuff from the Blanton/Webster days. I like it but I was never compelled enough to seek out more. I'll have to go through the sound samples of the entire Hodges set at allmusic.com over the course of several non-consecutive days and see what kind of impression it leaves me with over time.

Ah, okay, that changes things. You are only semi-successful in talking yourself out of buying Mosaic sets I see. The sound quality of the Hodges set is great by the way. It's a fine example of why Malcolm Addey has a cult-like following.

Regarding Ellington, aside from the small group Back To Back and Side By Side, I'd recommend checking out Far East Suite &...And His Mother Called Him Bill. Aside from sounding more "modern" (they're from the mid-to-late '60s) they both contain some of Hodges's finest moments. I can't imagine a being a Hodges fan without them.

Well, I've been listening to the sound samples of the Hodges set over the last several days and while I like them and find them enjoyable, I don't think it's going to be enough to clear the $104.00 threshold required to own this set. I think I'd be just as happy owning just a few of his recordings. I'll check out your recommendations.

Now that Chu Berry set may be another thing... ;)^_^

Edited by mikelz777

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, you'd better be a big Cab Calloway fan with that set. I need to go through the set sometime and figure out how to program it for those times when a little bit of Cab goes a long way. Um, which is most of the time...

Sheeesh, I don't mean to come off anti-Mosaic, but it seems like my role here is to save you money! ;)

Well, you'd better be a big Cab Calloway fan with that set. I need to go through the set sometime and figure out how to program it for those times when a little bit of Cab goes a long way. Um, which is most of the time...

Sheeesh, I don't mean to come off anti-Mosaic, but it seems like my role here is to save you money! ;)

Saving me money is a good thing so I appreciate it! I don't know Cab Calloway's work so I don't have an opinion either way on that. I'll have to check out his stuff as well as as many Chu Berry sound samples as I can find. I may just be caught up in the excitement of possibly getting a new Mosaic and that's the only one that's currently available that caught my attention. It wouldn't be the first time. A lot of times I'll get hot for something and want to get it right away. If I just sit on it, I'll often feel totally different about wanting a certain Mosaic if I wait a few weeks or months before seriously considering buying it. I've only purchased 4 Mosaic box sets on a quick decision whim just because I found them for such low, can't pass them up prices. I bought the Tal Farlow, Buddy Rich, Count Basie Clef/Verve and the Bobby Hackett sets when none of them were even on my rader. I ended up loving all of them except for the Hackett set which I ended up exchanging for the Farmer/Golson Jazztet box. (An excellent trade I might add.) I could be wrong but I may end up cooling on the Berry set as well. I'll check it out and give it some time and will see what happens.

Edited by mikelz777

Well, I've been listening to the sound samples of the Hodges set over the last several days and while I like them and find them enjoyable, I don't think it's going to be enough to clear the $104.00 threshold required to own this set.

Mike, not to throw a monkey wrench into your decision-making process, but I just got the Hodges set and am now 5/6 of the way through it, and have found it to be much more enjoyable than the sound samples would have suggested (at least to me). There's lots of wonderful music--of both the bluesy and swinging variety--with terrific playing by the likes of Ben Webster, Roy Eldridge, Herb Ellis, etc., not to mention the opportunity to hear lots of playing by Billy Strayhorn and, of course, Jeep/Rabbit himself. From what I know of your musical preferences, I think you'd really enjoy this set, also. Of course, if it turned out that you didn't, you could easily trade or sell this one, especially since it will soon be OOP.

Well, I've been listening to the sound samples of the Hodges set over the last several days and while I like them and find them enjoyable, I don't think it's going to be enough to clear the $104.00 threshold required to own this set.

Mike, not to throw a monkey wrench into your decision-making process, but I just got the Hodges set and am now 5/6 of the way through it, and have found it to be much more enjoyable than the sound samples would have suggested (at least to me). There's lots of wonderful music--of both the bluesy and swinging variety--with terrific playing by the likes of Ben Webster, Roy Eldridge, Herb Ellis, etc., not to mention the opportunity to hear lots of playing by Billy Strayhorn and, of course, Jeep/Rabbit himself. From what I know of your musical preferences, I think you'd really enjoy this set, also. Of course, if it turned out that you didn't, you could easily trade or sell this one, especially since it will soon be OOP.

I've been moseying my way through this one all week as well and agree with you completely. I was prepared for a fairly uniform set of music, but one of the things that strikes me is the great variety in this one. And I agree that these sets can be viewed as investments. If you don't like this one Mikelz777, you will almost surely be able to sell it at a profit in a year or so, I'd think. ... But the music is just excellent.

My fickleness and lunch at Applebee's.

I had lunch at Applebee's with my family yesterday and was lamenting over the waste of my two daughters' half-eaten meals and what would be a $60+ tab when it came to mind that the tab was going to be more than half of what the Hodges Mosaic would cost me. Sure, it was an enjoyable meal and it would satisfy my hunger for several hours but all too soon, the meal would just be a memory and another contribution to the local sewage system. (Sorry about that image! ^_^ ) We go out fairly frequently and I realized that we tend to choose to be selectively blind to that expense which really adds up quickly. I would easily have the cost of the Hodges Mosaic in the span of what we'd spend on 2-5 meals out without even thinking about it. The pleasure and purpose of the meals would be fleeting but the Mosaic could provide pleasure for years. Several of you pointed out that it would be an investment and that I could no doubt easily trade it in or sell it for what I paid for it if not more and it's very likely I'd really enjoy the set. In the end, it's basically a no-lose proposition. As such, I've decided to pick it up some time before it disappears and when I can find a little wiggle room in the finances. I'd like to thank all of you for your input and advice. :)

Edited by mikelz777

I had lunch at Applebee's with my family yesterday and was lamenting over the waste of my two daughters' half-eaten meals and what would be a $60+ tab when it came to mind that the tab was going to be more than half of what the Hodges Mosaic would cost me. Sure, it was an enjoyable meal and it would satisfy my hunger for several hours but all too soon, the meal would just be a memory and another contribution to the local sewage system. (Sorry about that image! ^_^ ) We go out fairly frequently and I realized that we tend to choose to be selectively blind to that expense which really adds up quickly. I would easily have the cost of the Hodges Mosaic in the span of what we'd spend on 2-5 meals out without even thinking about it. The pleasure and purpose of the meals would be fleeting but the Mosaic could provide pleasure for years. Several of you pointed out that it would be an investment and that I could no doubt easily trade it in or sell it for what I paid for it if not more and it's very likely I'd really enjoy the set. In the end, it's basically a no-lose proposition. As such, I've decided to pick it up some time before it disappears and when I can find a little wiggle room in the finances. I'd like to thank all of you for your input and advice. :)

352800902_dd73ea282c.jpg:)

:tup

WHEW!

Am I correct in my assumption that the Play the Blues Back to Back session (and hence half of the Side by Side album) isn't included in the Mosaic?

I only have those two (VMEs, glorious!) and the 3 albums on 2 CDs Verve set which has those two alternates Mosaic missed (plus a good Webster and a great Edison album).

If you dig "Play The Blues" & "Back To Back" (who doesn't?), you will LOVE this set. It is without question one of my top five Mosaics. FYI, The "Blues-A-Plenty" session from the twofer you speak of is included in the Mosaic.

I missed your reply, brute, sorry. I *know* I'll love the Hodges, the order will be sent in tomorrow or Wednesday! I've heard plenty of Hodges from the earlier 50s, as well as many many hours of Hodges with Ellington (all decades). And yeah, I know the "Blues-A-Plenty" album is included, but I'll keep that one anyway, for the two alternates and the two fine albums by Edison and Webster!

To those who are interested: BUY THE HODGES NOW!!! I was just on the phone with Mosaic Records and inquired about it's availability. I was hoping I could put off my purchase till April since my wife just purchased the Nelson and Mobley sets a couple weeks ago. According to the gentleman I spoke to, it's availabilty is extremely limited. He stated it may not be around after this weekend. If you've been sitting on the fence on this one, now is the time to make your decision. I placed the order. I felt I couldn't pass on this opportunity. The wife is going to kill me. :crazy:

Why isn't it in Last Chance then?

I wondered the same thing. I bet a ton of people had this set on their radar as a set they would definitely buy once it hit Running Low. Maybe the demand has been quite high since last week but it still doesn't explain why it wouldn't be in Last Chance.

Why isn't it in Last Chance then?

I wondered the same thing. I bet a ton of people had this set on their radar as a set they would definitely buy once it hit Running Low. Maybe the demand has been quite high since last week but it still doesn't explain why it wouldn't be in Last Chance.

The only thing I can say at this point is the gentleman I spoke to at Mosaic stated twice to me that he felt the set would be gone by the weekend due to the heavy demand for the set. It may turn out that he's wrong and it could be available for a somewhat longer period. However, given this info. presented to me and the fact that I really wanted the set, I wasn't willing to take the gamble.

The only thing I can say at this point is the gentleman I spoke to at Mosaic stated twice to me that he felt the set would be gone by the weekend due to the heavy demand for the set. It may turn out that he's wrong and it could be available for a somewhat longer period. However, given this info. presented to me and the fact that I really wanted the set, I wasn't willing to take the gamble.

I appreciate you passing on the info. :tup

It is better to have warning it may be almost gone then it disappear without a chance to buy it.

I bet they do this on purpose - see a set not moving very quickly and announce it's imminent extinction in order to cause a rush!!!!!!!

I would hope Mosaic has a bit more integrity than that. They're going to sell all they have on their shelves anyway, whether it's this week or next month. Remember how the Ellington Reprise set went from Running Low to Last Chance to gone in about a week. I still kick myself for missing that one. So I'm glad I ordered the Hodges in time, and I'm glad for the warnings. I also wonder whether the Hodges is an end-of-lease sale or a sell-out of 7,500 copies. Probably the former.