Verve Johnny Hodges and Prima/Manone now in "Running Low"

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bet they do this on purpose - see a set not moving very quickly and announce it's imminent extinction in order to cause a rush!!!!!!!

I would hope Mosaic has a bit more integrity than that. They're going to sell all they have on their shelves anyway, whether it's this week or next month. Remember how the Ellington Reprise set went from Running Low to Last Chance to gone in about a week. I still kick myself for missing that one. So I'm glad I ordered the Hodges in time, and I'm glad for the warnings. I also wonder whether the Hodges is an end-of-lease sale or a sell-out of 7,500 copies. Probably the former.

Of course - I was but jesting! Sometimes my dislike of smilies comes back to bite me!!!!!

I also wonder whether the Hodges is an end-of-lease sale or a sell-out of 7,500 copies. Probably the former.

Definitely the former.

If it is definitely the former, then why is there a danger that it will sell out by this weekend? Or is that your way of saying that Tom was given false information?

Edited by John L

I also wonder whether the Hodges is an end-of-lease sale or a sell-out of 7,500 copies. Probably the former.

Definitely the former.

If it is definitely the former, then why is there a danger that it will sell out by this weekend? Or is that your way of saying that Tom was given false information?

They've definitely sold far fewer than 7500--the copy I received last week is #5631. The set has no doubt timed out, and they're selling whatever they have left in stock (they don't manufacture the entire potential run of a set at one time, and usually sell out whatever they have in stock when their license for the recordings expires).

Definitely the former.

They've definitely sold far fewer than 7500--the copy I received last week is #5631. The set has no doubt timed out, and they're selling whatever they have left in stock (they don't manufacture the entire potential run of a set at one time, and usually sell out whatever they have in stock when their license for the recordings expires).

I see. Thanks for that clarification. I wonder if Mosaic reveals how many of a set they actually made, as opposed to the initial target number.

I think that's correct, yes.

Has anyone seen the Rich in a European/Universal edition, btw? I still miss that one, the Nelson and the Gillespie, never saw them at a really convincing prize (I missed out on the Nelson on UK amazon a few months back, alas)!

Oh, and will these newer Universal sets also "time out", even though Universal is also distributing a share? Would that mean of an edition of say 5000, that Universal presses 1000 themselves and Mosaic does like 2000 and when the years have passed, Universal who holds the right will not re-press or as before not let Mosaic re-press the missing 2000?

And one last thing about Euro-Mosaics: the Quincy Jones (it's very good!) has even glossier and thicker paper than I ever saw - each and every page is thick enough to be the cover of some glossy magazine... almost crazy! Have the latest US Mosaics also got thicker booklets, or is this one an exception?

I think that's correct, yes.

Has anyone seen the Rich in a European/Universal edition, btw? I still miss that one, the Nelson and the Gillespie, never saw them at a really convincing prize (I missed out on the Nelson on UK amazon a few months back, alas)!

I think I've seen the Rich in a HMV shop over here but not sure - it was pricey though !

You must pick up that Oliver Nelson, King Ubu. Unmissable ! And you get to see Monsieur Brownie's photo of the Jazzhattan Suite band. I'll be listening to it on the I-Pod today. :)

I picked up the Gillespie for about £30 from an Amazon UK marketplace seller brand new - not sure it's still on offer. Another very good one (damn - I wish Mosaic would issue a really bad set, just for the hell of it and to stop all of our compliments).

Edited by sidewinder

Yes, I'll sure get the Nelson, but I just bought the Quincy, ordered the Herman Select and the Hodges and Prima/Manone, and a friend who dislikes organ is unhappy with the Gerald Wilson... and the Dizzy is in a local store, too, though not for as good a prize as the Quincy... and the tax office has been waiting for months already, so...

.... buy the Nelson ! :g

No seriously - I would hang fire. The Universal sets should hopefully come up at a good price again well before selling out.

Yes, that's what I'm hoping for - the Rich has never been up for a good prize so far, has it? That one will be 80 or 90% new to me! And it should be marvellous!

As for me - I need to get the Manone/Prima !

Did you also get the Lang/Venuti? I decided to take a pass, but I guess I'll regret it... will eventually get the JSP at least.

Flurin, the Rich set definitely has been issued in a Universal edition. In fact, that edition recently was available from an American half.com seller for an incredibly good price (of which a few board members were able to take advantage :w ). So keep a sharp eye out! :)

I'll do, thanks! Wasn't aware of that recent good prize, but I think half.com doesn't ship internationally anyway...

Now I'm looking forward a lot to getting the Hodges and Prima/Manone, though (I still wait for a shipping confirmation, though...)

Now I'm looking forward a lot to getting the Hodges and Prima/Manone, though (I still wait for a shipping confirmation, though...)

phew, just got my shipping confirmation (not exactly... but that mail were they state that the order has completed and will ship within 24 hours...)

:excited: :excited: :excited:

Did you also get the Lang/Venuti? I decided to take a pass, but I guess I'll regret it... will eventually get the JSP at least.

Yes King Ubu - I did pick up the Lang/Venuti and it is really good, I'm sorry to say. Have just listened to the first 2 CDs (there are 8 in this sucker) and the musical quality is excellent - also they have done really amazing things with the sound, considering much of this stuff is from the 1920s. The music swings like the clappers and suprisingly - hasn't aged. The mark of really good music. The booklet is also really good - nice and thick with Mike Peters essay etc and some really good research by Scott Wenzel and team.

I remember Venuti from his 'comeback' in the 1970s and it is nice to be reminded of where he came from !

Edited by sidewinder

Yes, that's what I'm hoping for - the Rich has never been up for a good prize so far, has it? That one will be 80 or 90% new to me! And it should be marvellous!

I've got a fair bit of the Rich on various UK vinyls - a Verve double called 'Strike It Rich' and also a UK Philips LP with Mike Manieri, which is really nice. The music is very hard swinging. Lots of great Sonny Criss on the Verve material.

Flurin, the Rich set definitely has been issued in a Universal edition. In fact, that edition recently was available from an American half.com seller for an incredibly good price (of which a few board members were able to take advantage :w ). So keep a sharp eye out! :)

Only a matter of time before a bargain appears on UK Amazon market place (hopefully). :)

I'm still waiting for that Gillespie set to show up for a decent price. I was able to get the Farlow for about $50.00. I got the Buddy Rich and the Count Basie Clef/Verve for around $65.00 to $69.00 each. (all new) I'm hoping for the same with the Gillespie if the pricing history of these Universal sets holds up.

Do I need/want the Manone/Prima, I may have to pass on this one as I've only just received the Miles 65-68 vinyl set ( no regrets-sounds great) and not so long ago the Matthews select/Nelson and the Gillespie euro sets from amazon uk sellers.?

how many Wing vocals can I handle?

Edited by Clunky

Just ordered the Hodges. Was on the fence because I already have at least 40% of the material. Then I used "logic" and decided that that meant I didn't have 60% of that music, and, hey, it's Johnny Hodges.

I ordered by phone, and the person taking the order reiterated what Tom was told - they expect the Hodges to be gone by the end of this weekend.

Sounds like now or never time.

Just noticed they recently put something at the top of the Johnny Hodges page that I've never seen on the Mosaic site before:

Only 1 copy per customer

http://www.mosaicrecords.com/prodinfo.asp?number=200-MD-CD

:blink:

I, for one, am glad Mosaic is doing this. I believe the reason that the Ellington Reprise set sold out so quickly after going to running low was that customers were buying more than one copy. (Probably one customer bought a whole lot of them, hoping to make a bundle later on e-bay)

Edited by John Tapscott

how many Wing vocals can I handle?

Don't know the answer for you Mr. Lunky. . .. Me I'm a big Wingy vocal fan, and have no problem in that reagards with this set. I'm less a Prima vocalist fan, but I like him earliest and he doesn't disappoint me in these his earliest sides. (Damned good playing too).