John Patton "That Certain Feeling" LP spotted

Howdy all,

Right of first refusal on this one goes to Peter Johnson, who I still need to send some LP's to one of these days (though perhaps if this Patton LP is something you want, Peter, it will have been a good thing that I haven't yet sent you those other LP's).

Anyway, I was killing some time in a record store today, here in Kansas City, and spotted a Patton "That Certain Feeling" LP in fine condition today. It appears to be a first pressing Liberty issue, with the name "Rudy Van Gelder" stamped in the inner-most part of the vinyl, and "PROMOTIONAL COPY" stamped on the back of the LP cover.

The cover is probably in "VG+" condition, perhaps even closer to "EX-". The vinyl itself was in perfect condition (best as I could see), except for one pretty minor blemish that looks like it won't affect the playback. (I could have the store play that track to verify that it will play, if you like).

The store wants $18 for it. I have no idea if that's a decent price or not. It seems kinda high to me, but then again - I'm a real cheapskate, and this may in fact be quite a steal. (I don't normally buy LP's, so other than eBay - I have no idea what the market is bringing for titles like this. The last three times this LP sold on eBay, it went for $22, $26, and $35)

Here's a pic of the cover, although this pic is from a closed eBay auction, and it's NOT an actual picture of the LP I found today.

8c_1.JPG

PS: Peter - I found it at the same store where I spotted that Leo Parker LP that you bought some time ago. They also had 2 or 3 pre-Liberty era Jimmy Smith titles in the $20 range, in "VG+" condition (roughtly). Don't remember the titles, but I could easily go back and get the details for you.

I'd be interested if anybody else has experienced the same problem I have had with this LP. The last track on side one has a skip that seems to be a pressing error because both copies i have repeat in the exact same place but are not marked or anything. They look like flawless copies. I actually looked at them both with a loupe and it looked to me like a pressing error that resulted in one of the grooves running into another one, with the result that it catches and repeats at that spot.

I bought the second copy because my first had this problem and I was bummed that the second had it as well. So now i'm wary of buying another copy of this LP. Anyone else with this problem?

Interestingly, the one thing (issue) I noticed in the vinyl was in the last track on side one, near the beginning of the track. It looked like a little spot, about 1/4th of a milimeter in width and height, maybe a tad smaller even.

If anyone turns out to be interested in this LP, I'll definitely get them to play the last track on side one to verify if it skips or not. In fact, I was kinda thinking I'd have them do that anyway, just in case - since that's the only thing I could see in the vinyl that would otherwise give it a "Mint Minus" rating (or "EX+" perhaps).